N20 Results

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by BTLFED, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

I agree,Just didnt understand why so many company are stating there jets/kits are rated RWHP..Thats just plain retarted..Oh well.

2. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

I agree 100%. I think the only thing you can do is compare nitrous jet sizes. The "shot size" we brand them with isn't very relavant except to compare how much actual spray different systems are delivering.

3. Blown-WK

Blown-WK cherokeesrt8 survivor!

His results have me excited. To hit around 500rwhp on a basically stock jeep with a CAI is impressive. I will be on the dyno next week to compare results since we have the same mods.

4. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

John do you know of a good AWD dyno place along I-35???

5. BTLFED

BTLFED Full Access Member

There are no AWD dynos in San Antonio, I was told there is 1 in Austin. To be honest, I was only on dyno to monitor a/f ratiosand see what tunes/adjustments made more power.

6. Dave@BGChrysler

Dave@BGChrysler "Let Her Eat"

BTLED, What was the F/A on the Second NA tune I sent you was it in the 12's???

7. Blown-WK

You'll be hearing from me soon Dave. Hopefully the nitrous tune you made me will not need too much modifying. Although I have a feeling it will be very fat from what BTLFED experienced.

8. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

A fat nitrous tune is an awesome thing.

Why?

Well, enough fuel must reach the cylinders to create a nice, powerful yet safe AFR. There's two ways to get the fuel into the cylinders: 1) Through the fuel injectors, and 2) through the fuel jet on the nitrous system.

The fuel injectors obviously provide a perfectly even distribution into all 8 cylinders. The nitrous sytem forces the fuel coming out of the nozzle to make various twists and turns, and hope that the fuel gets into all of the cylinders evenly. So the more fuel you put through the injectors, the less fuel you put through the nozzle.

So the best situation is a fat nitrous tune, and using smaller and smaller fuel jets until the AFR is where you want it.

(this all assumes a nozzle set-up, and not a direct port injection nitrous/fuel set-up)

9. Dave@BGChrysler

Dave@BGChrysler "Let Her Eat"

Blown-WK, I try to keep the E-Mail order NOS tunes safe and conseritive. As the Saying goes better safe then sorry!! You can adjust timing and fuel requirements with the predator if needed to obtain your target timing and or A/F Ratio, also changing NOS jets..

10. Blown-WK

Thanks for the response. That makes a lot of sense:dance4:

11. Blown-WK

If any of you guys had to make a mechanically educated guess, what is the biggest nitrous jet do you think could be safely run in these motors with stock internals? We have all seen that the hp ratings of the jets are significantly different whereas a jet that is claimed to be for a 175 shot made around 125hp to the wheels.

12. BTLFED

Hi Dave, Did you get my email ? I sent you a rather long one last night. The air/fuel on the 2nd tune you sent was still reading 10.0:1, could have been 10.0 could have been 8.0. The 2nd tune you sent me lost some power, since it was still reading below 10.0 with a 33 jet, I stuck with my original tune and kept dropping jet sizes until I was happy with a/f ratios.

Dave, in no way do I blame you. You answerd the phone everytime I called and sent me my tune accordingly. You were great to work with and only because it was easier to lean out with jets that I chose that route vs to keep calling you. I do plan on going back to the dyno within the next few weeks to find best NA numbers, if you think we can get a safer/more power tune, I will be more than happy to try. BlownWK and I have the exact same mods, I realize different vehicles have different needs but perhaps between the 2 of us we can find the best tune for both of us. Please check you email for specifics, Im resending it after this post.

Thank you

13. BTLFED

Chris, I have boosted(N20) many engines(All Fords) around 125-140RWHP on several occassions without breaking parts. I did have a motor go once but it was because I didnt have a window switch and N20 armed when motor bogged. Needless to say every rod was bent and crank was bent. Again, I know we are speaking of a Ford but the ringlands on them are just as close to top of piston as these motors.

14. Blown-WK

We will definitely make that happen. The only thing different between our setups is you are using the nitrous outlet plate and I have the zex nozzle in the intake tube. I will have mine on the dyno asap so we can compare results. I assume my nitrous tune from Dave is basically the same as yours since our mods are the same. If that is the case I suspect the jetting and AF will be very close to the same as well.

15. Blown-WK

Not trying to go off topic here Dave but do you agree with what Jmatt said about how it is better to run the nitrous tune fatter so the fuel is more evenly dispersed through the fuel injectors rather than hoping it gets distributed evenly through the intake manifold? That really made sense to me since I have never thought about it that way. basically you would want as much of the fuel as possible going through the injectors so you know its being evenly distributed in each cylinder. Then you can reduce the fuel jet in the nitrous system until your AF is where you want it. Does that make sense? Is that a good way to do it?

16. cobrakid

cobrakid New Member

...blown, that makes good sense to me.

Also, my opinion on the motors themselves.......

The parts are real good, and tough. Tough enough for the Viper, even
    thought the stress/load is displaced over 10 instead of 8.

Most nitrous companies claim you can safely spray a typical good running
    V8 with 150, with plugs, timing retarded, good A/F etc.

So I really don't have a major concern hitting the Hemi with 175.
    ..b/c I know I have my sh!t together. LOL

The big thing I see stressing the Jeeps is the weight, and load from the weight.

I am honestly more concerned with the transmission than the motor.

When I lay in bed at night, plotting my next moves, I still get scared & upset if I really think...
    .."what if I blew this thing up?" I would be screwed!

Goodluck guys, and be safe pushing the envelope.