My Update...

Discussion in 'Autocross/Road Racing' started by Cygnus, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

There is none from the last time :mellow:

Well I got a rear diffuser...
    Got different wheels and tires...
    But that's about it.

Still haven't tried road racing and would love to.

What I think I need to focus on is brakes... between the pads, rotors and the speed bleeders and maybe some SS lines.

Currently the car is running on a FM wga BUT on PCM control boost which is awesome because its like stock but your running higher boost and hold more.

I have a FBM Ported Turbo and Manifold with a Maxxfab 3" O2 Housing that needs to go on. But I'm wanting to send the turbo out to get the turbine wheel clipped. Then the setup will go through a extreme porting job by RFR. Then I can put it on the car. Decided to stick with the stock turbo so this ported stuff will be enough for me. Although some like big turbo's like the 50trim and such. I'm not a straight line guy really nor a 1/4 mile track guy (my car has only ran at a 1/4 mile track twice in more then over a year of owning it).

2. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

I will go ahead and update you on my car too.

Nothing new either...:rofl:

3. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

if you thinking of competing in different races then you need to set the car up in a way that will fit a class and your driving skills.

exp. in autocross im in a very hard class CSP which i compete with Miatas lots of them and its very hard to compete with RWDs that weight a couple hundred pounds less and corner like there on rails.
    I lose to them by anywere from 2-4 seconds but im getting better.

my wife is in STU which is lightly modified and theres lots of EVOs and subies

in order for me to down grade to that class i gotta lose my computer, tune, move boost to 14psi and some other stuff.

I'll look up a general classing so you can mod acorderinly if your looking to compeat

oh and do some racing before you think of putting a big turbo on.
    theres a guy who went from a Stage 3 SRT to a Miata because the Miata was faster and all it has is Coilovers and an K&N filter.
    he was telling me the biggest regret on the SRT was going big turbo he had alot of lag and never really spooled before hitting the next corner.

when i drive i very rarely run 2nd all the way though. and find my self with some lag in corners because it waist too much time to down shift to 1st. in the autocrosses ive done im glad ive never when big turbo.

as for road racing i couldnt say because we dont have very long strightaways, we do have long corners and you dont want too much power in corners on a FWD.

4. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

Thanks for the information Nevin!

I'll be in a different class as I'm S1 running a 17-18psi spike haha. No way will I downgrade. I'm more doing this for fun (at first so I learn) then actually competing.

I'm sticking STOCK turbo!!!! Lol!

I am... all it is... is the stock turbo housing is ported and I'm possibly getting the turbine wheel clipped. Then that is matched up with a stock ported exhaust manifold to a 3" O2 housing. Just more flow and lower EGT's. A little power gain.

Lol! Yeah every now and then I have to be on a stand still... it sucks.