My novice paint correction

Discussion in 'Detailing Tips and Tricks' started by CentralTexHemi, Nov 10, 2008.

1. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Well I decided it was time the Jeep got a full paint correction procedure done and with a car show coming up I decided to get to it.

I only have a Porter Cable 7424 and will more than likely move up to a forced directional Makita once I feel comfortable with the PC and spend some time with a pro. detailer who uses the Makita for his business before I use one myself.

Here is basically what I use, Foamer with Gloss-It Shampoo, P21 tire gel (not pic), P21 TAW for engine and wheel wells, Gloss-It Extreme Cut, Gloss-It gloss activator(not pic), Gloss-It gloss finish polymer (not pic), Gloss-It gloss enhancer detail spray, PC 7424 with Orange CCS Lakewood 4-6" pads, Green Pads, White Pads (not pic), BlackFire Clay Bar-first and last time to use not impressed.

[​IMG]

I gave the Jeep a double wash with some DAWN (to remove old polish) in a seperate bucket
    [​IMG]

But sprayed the wheels/tires with the Gloss-It shampoo, sprayed the wheel wells with the P21s TAW and rubbed that in and went back over it with the Gloss-It shampoo.
    [​IMG]

Used my little tool to clean the lug nuts
    [​IMG]

After washing the Jeep I spend a while drying it using compressed air to make sure all the water is out from around the door handles, window areas, etc.

I then moved onto the clay bar process
    [​IMG]

Pulled the Halogens lights out (dual 500W)
    [​IMG]

And got busy accessing the paint and then started to tape off areas
    Nothing too major the clear mainly had light to med imperfections
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hooked up the PC and got started on the roof with a 4" orange pad with the extreme cut and then worked my way down and around

Here are the results after the Gloss-It Extreme Cut and before using the polish activator and finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I probably got about an 80% correction done I really need a FD machine but I was very happy with the results, the hood and front end were a PITA and I gave up on them as it has PPG Ceramiclear clear coat and the PC just did not have the power to cut the clear.

I cleaned up a few areas with water/isopropyl alcohol and the detail spray then placed a small amount of the gloss activator on and then applied the gloss finish and followed up with the Gloss enhancer detail spray. Here are pics the next day at the car show out in the sun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

People were so impressed with the work I had offers from 5 different car owners at the show to do theirs, LOL I only do this for fun at home but one Z06 owner and one GTO owner were very persuasive so I might just do it.

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

looks great Wade.

Charge em an arm and a leg. lol

3. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Oh I would I started at 7am and finished right at midnight with only stopping for lunch/dinner

4. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

daaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyum......thats pretty hot right there....I wish i had a garage to make doing that worth the effort hahahaha

5. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Nice! First off I wouldn't call that "light to med imperfections". Looked like it'd been through a sand storm... Second, I wouldn't call that novice work. That's pro all the way! What's the ceramiclear? Is that clear bra? or something more exotic.

6. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Ceramiclear is a sprayed on PPG clear coat that is supposed to be more resistant to rock chips, etc. but its very hard to work with. My paint guy told me you only have 24 hours to sand and buff it before it dries perm.

7. MADDOG

MADDOG SRT Driver

Very nice job!!! Mine needs a good correction for sure.

8. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Thanks bud I am no where near what the pro's can do need alot more practice and a better polishing machine to cut down on the work and time. I was so sore when I went to bed, much props to guys who do this for a living.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  9. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

crap wade, i would give yourself a little more credit than "novice"!!! very well done my friend!!! if only i had the time and a pc to do my car!!! if yours is "minor imperfections", than mine must be MAJOR!!!! dahahahahahaa

10. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Full Access Member

Looks great!!!

11. Richie Carbone

Richie Carbone Full Access Member

Very nice! You did an excellent job. :clapping::tip:

12. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

Wade you may be as bad as me, but I do that every weekend LMAO!

A question? Where did you get that lug hole cleaning tool???

13. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

looks great brotha! my car looks like shit incarnate!

14. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

I found it at Harbor Freight of all places

15. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Dang..that is what you call ANAL in capital letters...great job..:dancinlock: