My headlights look like brand spanking new!

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by Quick, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

They were looking really ratty. They weren't yellow (Zaino Ron, Zaino) but from about half way up and over the top it sort of looked like they had been sandblasted with a bunch of tiny pits and deeper scratches thrown in. Odd, 'cause there isn't anything to match on the paint on the front. Go figure. Got the $24 3M kit from AutoZone. I think it's like $13 on Amazon but I had a $20 rewards card. Got good reviews but the main thing here is you do everything with a hand drill (900 - 1200 rpm). It has a drill attachment with a stick pad. About 3" diameter with a bit of padding. Comes with something like 6 or 8 each of 500 grit, 800 grit. Then 1 3000 wet pad, a dimpled red buff pad and a packet of compound and a small roll of green painters tape (plenty of tape for 2 or 3 layers on the edges and another single layer to run it out away from the light a bit).

Did that. It came out half assed. I think the main problem is that our headlights are pretty curved and the pad just doesn't bend around it real well. Also they say dry sand with the 500 and 800. I should have tried it wet but I think it was dry paper. They load up right away and then they wear out too fast. There was enough but I guess maybe I didn't do it enough. The Trizact 3000 pad and the red buff pad are great.

Went to OSH. Few sheets of wet'n'dry 600 and a few of 1500. 3 sheets of 600 and 2 sheets of 1500 was all it took. Probably want more 600 if you're starting from scratch. 1 tub of No 7 rubbing compound, 1 tub of No. 7 cleaning and polishing compound, roll of 3M painters tape - delicate. Did the wet sanding by hand this time. The 600 took a while (went horizontal). The 1500 was surprisingly fast taking out the 600 (went vertical). Trizact 3000 with the drill (yes!). Buff pad with the rubbing compound with the drill (yes!) and buff pad with the polishing compound...with the drill (FTW!).

They look perfect! What a mess on the front of the car. Hit it with the foam gun a couple of times letting it soak, then sprayed it a few times, finally just sort of pulled the micro fiber mitt over it while running the hose on it. Just the weight of the mitt. I was a bit worried about the wetsand slurry on there...

No pics :( I didn't really think the kit was going to come out all that well to start with and figured it wouldn't be pic worthy when done. (Alright, so I didn't think of it, bite me).

Heh, I got "after" pics :). 2006 Magnum, 30K miles, never garaged :(, CA sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

We have "after" pics now :) See first post ^