My first ever track day

Discussion in 'Autocross/Road Racing' started by Cheatek, Dec 1, 2008.

1. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

if you buy me a plane ticket i'll fly out and be your co piolet!!! :D

2. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Waaaa whoooooo, another guy hooked!!!. Glad you had a great time Scott, major congrats on making them other guys suck hemi fumes!.

3. hmk123

hmk123 New Member

Wow! Great story, Scott! Way to go! Stories like this are music to my ears. Bet those Porsche and Bimmer drivers were quite shocked :) The only way to outdo stories like this is to ship it to Germany and kick some butt on the Autobahn for a week or two :) What was your top speed?

4. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Why does this scare the hell out of me, lmao!!!!!!!!!! Nev as my co-pilot, oh Lord help us, lol! For some reason I have this image in my head ... :stretcher:

Thanks Cam! It was just odd that no one came and talked to me, especially after seeing how well I ran. I mean not only was I the only "muscle car" three but I'm in a big red station wagon that's PASSING Porsches and Vettes and no one came to talk to me?!?! Was a little odd. Jealousy I guess huh?

I emailed you back. And next time YOU are coming with me, haha!

5. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Scott - got the PM! I'm glad you had a great time at the track, and glad the Mopar coilovers, sways, and strut tower brace did you right. Did you use autostick? How did the brakes hold up? Did you get any personalized instruction? Hopefully Matt sat in with you a bit and gave a few pointers. Now go read all ALL of the articles in this link: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving

I wish I was closer because I think I could really get your lap times down with some of the basics....vision, threshold/trail braking, smoothness etc!!! Take care buddy!

6. Midtowner

Midtowner Never going to grow up!

Excellent Scott! Glad you showed a few folks how to drive and that muscle cars can do very well in the turns!:king:

7. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Thanks, nothing like it really!

Yea I wish you were closer too buddy, oh well, hey maybe sometime we can meet in the middle and do Willow Springs! So yea I auto-sticked the whole time. Only thing is I have an 06 and never did the tranny TSB so it doesn't upshift at redline, I never wanted it to. Well after being on the track I think I changed my mind, I hit the limiter a couple times on the long straight as I just can't time my upshifts right at WOT (it's reving too fast). I could have left it in 'D' but I really needed to downshift going into the tight turn leading to it. I tried downshifting and then trying to get it back to 'D' right after the turn but that made it lug and didn't work. Also tried putting it into 'D' during the turn or right before but that didn't work either. I think I'm gonna get that tranny flash done after all.

Also yea brakes worked fine, no probs and no I didn't have a personal instructor. I thought I was but they said since I'd been on track before I didn't need one. I was happy at first to be on my own but latter I was wishing I had one to help me out a little (where are you when I need you bro!!). And no, never saw Matt, no other lxs there. And thanks for that link too.:smart:

Thanks Erik! Yea I keep saying it but it really is cool beating people with a station wagon!

8. Shorestyle031

Shorestyle031 New Member

so jelious i wish i could have done it i mean the track experience was fun but when your on your own i bet its so much better