MSD Fuel Pump Voltage Booster..

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by TNCHARGER, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Is it normal for the booster box to get hot as hell.?..I mean you cant hold your hand on it more that a couple seconds after running the vehicle 10 minutes...

2. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Where do you have it mounted? Is it in an area where air flow is limited?

3. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

mine were always hot to the touch.

4. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

yup.

Larry, I highly recommend that you upgrade the wiring from 14 gauge to a 10 gauge or you WILL burn wires. The fusible link for sure.

5. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

PM Ralph (Mol) about his bypass too. That way if/when you're boost a pump heads south on you, you'll still be able to limp home instead of going on a tow truck.

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

meh, carry extra 30 amp fuses. That's what I do. lol

7. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Alot of times it doesn't blow the fuse though....

8. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

All of my fuses were fine, when they rolled my 300 off the flat bed due to a blown boost a pump.

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I have not blown the MSD BaP. I have, however, blown at least 50 fuses and rewired 5 times. lol

10. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

You are lucky Ron, because there are plenty of BAP's that have blown before the fuse ever did.

Larry I would ditch the MSD for a KB BAP...

11. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

I'm not familiar with the set up, but could you mount an external fan? Like i've seen on high power amps. If it's heat that's causing the BAP to shit the bed, fans will speed up the dissipation process tremendously. Do the wire gauge upgrade also, and reliability should drastically increase.

12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Been out of touch all day...thanks for the replys..............the box has always been hot as hell but about a week ago it started blowing the 30 amp fuse every couple days...........

Yesterday a Nissan truck with a loud exhaust pulled up next to me and kept gunning it trying to get me to go...Luckly I just ignored him because a couple miles down the road I got on it just for a second and the fuel pressure dropped to zero.:eek:oh:

I was on a 2 lane road with no room on the shoulders except for a ditch...here I am coasting down the road with at least 5 cars behind me and we are coming to an upgrade....luckly I spot a driveway and pull off...rubber fuse holder is melted but I am able to get another fuse in.....drive home with only light pressure on the gas..:(

we went thru the thing today looking for shorts but found nothing so I just pulled the dang thing off.....just couldnt trust it anymore.........but I will say it did help as far as holding pressure.......under WOT my fuel pressure would drop from 62 to 58 with the MSD......w/o it pressure dops to 54...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  13. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

yea, yours does what mine does Larry.

I have rewired the power lead inside the box to a bigger gauge and moved the ground wire as well. The ground wire for the battery was completely corroded. I think that had to do with the over heating of the MSD and the ground wire being grounded directly to the battery ground terminal?

14. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

All the wires looked fine on mine..no corrosion.....you would think that if it needed a bigger guage wire MSD would have built it that way. The box has gotten hot since I first installed it.

I pulled it off because I was afraid something might catch fire....fuses blow for a reason and 30 amps is a large fuse..

I have 2 fuel pumps laying around and was thinking about installing 1 inline. My thoughts are to wire it into the power wire for the meth injection. The meth is triggered by boost so the pump would only come on while the engine was getting boost..thoughts?

15. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Your meth is likely on a vacuum/boost switch that when it sees "x" amount of boost, it comes on....
    I'de heed the advice of buying a KB BAP.

16. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Yes, it is. That is why I thought about having the extra fuel pump tied into it. Would only get the extra pump when I need it.

BTW..conversed with an old friend of yours the other day over at the VTCOA forums. He was on there trying to sell SCT tuners for half price. I put a halt to that crap..

17. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Larry, just because they used substandard gauge wiring does not mean you should not upgrade. lol I am merely giving you what I have done as I am too cheap to by a KB, especially since I know my new fuel system is coming very soon. lol

As for that PIECE of shit friend of Kyle's, I think we need to do a road trip and ... lol

18. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Watch for voltage drop on the meth pump, you could end up burning up it and the aux. fuel pump...might work though.

Likely Vince...He's not exactly a friend, but we know each other pretty well...His roots are with the blue oval guys...he bought a Viper last year also...he has about 8 different street/race cars and trucks...he owns a performance/repair shop here in town, and is pretty well respected...He isn't a douche bag, dunno what he was thinking though.

19. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Oh, I thought it was that dick from FL. lol

20. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Didnt mean to sound like I was blowing off your wire job Ron...I just wonder why the MFGs dont test these things......I might just give it a try..

You know your dicks Ron...yep, the guy from FL...:future: