Mods

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rec 26, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Rec 26

Rec 26 ...a tremor in the MOPAR

El Paso, TX via Centereach, NY Vieques, PR and San
    What should be the very first mods I should do if and when I get this 2005 Stone White Neon SRT4?

Figured I'll ask the subject matter experts. As for what type of mods I want to do.... don't know yet. All I care about is what is the no BS mod that everyone does/should have.

Example. On the 5.7, 6.1, and 6.4 HEMIs, catch cans should be the first mod bought cause it prevents the bottom of the intake manifold from having about 4 inches of oil over a 4 year period.

2. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 SRT8 Noob with a passion

Short block, V8

You won't do it.......:thongue2:

3. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

I would think the first mod, would depend a lot on what your overall goal for the car would be. You really can't go wrong with a tuning device, i.e. Predator. But, with tuning it would be highly recommended to get a wideband to monitor your a/f ratio. So you aren't going to damage the engine. So I suppose first thing you want would be the wideband.

4. Rec 26

Not anytime soon!

5. Rec 26

So a predator then. Got it. Anything else like a catch can or CAI or anything?

6. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

There are two different schools of thought as far as both of those go. I've heard catch cans are great, and I've heard they are pointless. I'm not sure which would be the best way to go in regards to that. I do not have one, and I figure why spend the money, as I'm not sure if there is a benefit or not.

As far as the cold air intake goes, it is again the same. Half of the people will tell you add a CAI, it helps. The other half will tell you don't bother, the factory intake acts as a cold air intake anyways, so don't bother changing it, because a CAI doesn't help. Unless you are planning on going with a bigger turbo. Then I think there maybe a benefit to replacing the intake.

EDIT: Hopefully someone else can chime in here with a better answer than some say yes, some say no...LoL!

7. Rec 26

I know what the catch can is for. It collects the oil vapor coming off of the EGV (I think that's right) valve going into your intake manifold. When I installed mine on my SRT I also went ahead and took off the throttle body to wipe it down. I had about a good 3-4 inches of oil at the bottom of my intake manifold. No telling how much oil was getting into the combustion chamber via the air inlet ports on the heads. Best investment/mod I've done on both my SRT and RAM and it's a mod that I recommend to anyone that owns any of the HEMIs hands down. So much so that I was the first to bring it up in both the z forums for the RAM and Durango.

8. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

First thing i would do when getting a new turbo car is boost leak test it. make sure everything is sealed up. Get some good T-bolt clamps and a Check valve and add you Catch can. These cars need a good catch can. New plugs and wires. plugs i would suggest NGK 4306 and gap them low, 32-35ish.

Then enjoy the car for a bit and figure what you want to do with it. If your gonna DD it or if your going to Drag or take some corners or just make stupid power. Once you figure that out then you can read the other threads on what mods you should get and how to install them.