Methenol Injection

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by 1FST4DR, Apr 9, 2008.

1. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

Anyone with out a S/C application run this??I hear good things about this.this may be my next Mod...We all know how bad we suffer from heat soak.With summer coming i may give this a try..

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

great, not only does the DRIVER use Meth, his will as well.

Glad I don't live near you. muahahahahaha

3. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Doh! Lmao..

4. 1FST4DR

And another knowledgable post from the king tool himself!:clapping::worthy::thongue2:

5. CHERRY

CHERRY Full Access Member

I run a Methanol Fuel Injection Kit on two of my turbo cars. One is a progressive system and the other is not. Both work very well. The standard one is in my Mini Van and it is running 25 pounds of boost. I will say that straight Meth really packs on the power but you can run a winter blend of W.W. Fluid (more alcohol content than the summer blend).

Regards
    Chuck

6. 1FST4DR

Chuck have you heard of folks running De-natured alky as well??

7. 1FST4DR

Would you also agree I should see some decent results running my N20 with it as well??Shouldnt have to worry about running high octane either correct?/

8. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Scott have you been rooting around in my trunk again! I have a kit about 50% installed on my car...maybe this post will get us to finish it now! LOL
    For those unfamiliar w water/meth or water/alchohol injection here is some info.
    Why Water/Methanol Injection?
    The primary function of water/methanol injection is to provide "chemical intercooling".

In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, this suppresses detonation so more power producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion but also acts like an extremely high octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) as well as adding more oxygen to combustion.

In diesels, the effect is three fold: 1. The intercooling effect provides for more available air and all the benefits of a higher positive pressure ratio (more power giving fuel can be utilized safely without high combustion temperatures). 2. The combustion of water provides for more power on the power stroke. 3. Methanol acts as an additional fuel for more power.
    A brief History:
    Water injection was evaluated scientifically in the 1930.s by H. Ricardo who demonstrated that one can basically double the power output of an engine using water/methanol. The first widespread use was during WWII on supercharged and turbocharged aircraft. In 1942, the German Luftwaffe increased the horsepower of the Focke-Wulf 190D-9 fighter aircraft from 1776HP to 2240HP using 50/50% water/methanol injection. The allies soon followed by fitting the P51 Mustang and other high performance aircraft with water/methanol injection. Following the war, the turboprop aircraft industry used water/methanol injection and called it the "automatic power reserve system (APR)" for use in hot or high altitude take off. It surfaced again in the 60's when GM used a system on the OEM turbo Corvair. It was used effectively in Formula 1 before being banned for adding too much power.

The latest competitive use is in World Rally Racing (WRC) where virtually all teams use it in some form and in diesel truck/tractor pulling competition. It is important to note that in the fall of 2004, the long standing world record in the quarter mile for diesels was broken twice (now 7.98 sec) by two different vehicles.

BMCP carries the complete line of Snow and Labonte Motorsports Water/Meth Kits! We have been running these for years on Mustangs and other apps, and hope to have some Hemi results soon!
    http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/category_s/280.htm

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Oh I see, Kris is the Meth dealer Scotty uses.. Really glad I don't live there now. lmao

10. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

LOL welcome to S Florida!

11. Prof

Prof Cantankerous Old Fart

While my comments may not directly correlate to your experience, I am one of the early adopters of Water/Meth injection in the Ram SRT 10. I installed the meth injection prior to being the prototype Roe Supercharger install...to date I am the longest running Roe install.

We could never document (via dyno) any hp increase due to meth injection. The role of meth in my application is inhibiting detonation which is the beginning of the end in forced induction engines.

The meth does drop the temperature of the air injected into the engine significantly. This makes the engine perform more efficiently. Hence the issue of heat soak is somewhat impacted. Less heat, slow accumulation of heat in the engine.

We have also learned that Dodge has programmed the cpu to pull timing very quickly as the intake temperature increases...hence the heat soak problem...the engine is capable of performing as well, but for safety the pcm pulls timing very early as temperature rises.

Some of us have had success in adding a 5.6 ohm resistor in the IAT sensor wiring. This resistance fools the cpu into thinking that the temperature is 25 or 30 degrees lower than it actually is. This delays the pulling of timing and consequently lessens the adverse impact of heat soak. I would think that some one needs to try this with a hemi to see if the cpu reacts the same as it does in our Viper engines.

12. IrishChamp

IrishChamp Full Access Member

I've heard of people relocating the IAT sensor further down towards the filter and achieving a similar effect in tricking the engine into thinking the intake air temperatures are cooler.

13. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

That tricks the computer into thinking the air temps are slightly lower or so the thinking goes, however the water/meth actually does lower the intake air temps by a huge amount.

While the benefits are greatly improved for turbo/supercharged applications there have been proven gains on N/A apps, which is why we thought to try it on the heat soaked Hemi!
    The extra other benefit we have found is reduced wear on the engine, our engine builder has torn down engines that ran water for some time and the internals were super clean compared to similar engines not running it

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  14. IrishChamp

IrishChamp Full Access Member

Yea, meth injection in great, I will have it on my car soon to compliment my PPP/CIS turbo. :)

15. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

wait so will this go in to the Tb just like nitrous? I am lost. I thought this was for the intercooler. Great one more thing I need to buy

16. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I wish someone would quantify the timing pulled relative to IAT temp on the hemis.

17. Prof

Yes, meth injection is usually injected through the tb. It is sprayed much like NOS is added to the fuel mixture. It is an alternative to an intercooler.

18. Prof

That's a great question...my reference to the pulling of timing by the pcm is purely from experience with the Viper engine which may be totally different from the Hemi engines...we need a Chrysler engineer to chime in here!

19. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Nope, only quantitative measure I've heard is someone, some time ago, said the Hemi starts pulling timing at 90* IAT. No mention of how much or if it's linear after that, etc.

20. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

dahahahahahaha, now this is funny!!! i can see the look on your face, and the inflection in your voice when you said this outloud to yourself before typing it!!! hahahahahahaha

i mean really, never mind that what he said is true, but he just could have not said anything and stayed on topic right scott??? hehehehe