Memorial Day and its origin

Discussion in 'Military Hall' started by CentralTexHemi, May 28, 2010.

1. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

For many, Memorial Day brings to mind images of parades and picnics, of barbecues and baseball games. What's sometimes forgotten are the reasons for the holiday: The sacrifices made by American soldiers in times of conflict.
    As the United States' death toll passes 1,000 in Afghanistan, Memorial Day takes on an especially poignant meaning this year. Here's a brief look at how the holiday got its start, and how people are searching for ways to honor the brave men and women who have lost their lives.

The first holiday
    Originally, the holiday was known as "Decoration Day." It was started by a Civil War general named Gen. John Logan, who was the Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic.
    General Logan sought a way to help the country come back together after the horrors and divide of the Civil War.
    The holiday was first observed on May 30, 1868, and Gen. Logan chose that date for two very important reasons: First, the day did not mark the anniversary of a Civil War battle, and second "flowers would likely be in bloom all over the United States." Indeed, many took flowers to Arlington National Cemetery, an activity that still occurs every year.
    More on Gen. John Logan
    General John A. Logan has a tremendous legacy that goes well beyond his efforts to honor fallen soldiers. According to a
    museum dedicated to his memory, Gen. Logan led an inspired life and enjoyed a tremendous career. At different points, he was a United States congressman, a senator, and a candidate for the vice presidency. He and his running mate, James G. Blane, lost their bid, but "Logan’s popularity with veterans contributed to the narrowness of the defeat."

An official holiday
    This may come as a bit of a surprise, but Memorial Day, despite having been around for over 100 years in one form or another, didn't become an official federal holiday until 1971, when Congress passed the
    National Holiday Act. This created a three-day weekend at the end of May. Prior to this, different states observed the holiday on different days.

Also worth noting — the "national moment of remembrance." This moment takes place at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day and lasts one minute. According to Remember.gov, "the Moment does not replace traditional Memorial Day events; rather it is an act of national unity in which all Americans, alone or with family and friends, honor those who died for our freedom. It will help to reclaim Memorial Day as the sacred and noble holiday it was meant to be. In this shared remembrance, we connect as Americans."

2. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

I know what Memorial Day is about, but then I grew up in a family with a proud tradition of service. Members of my family served in every war since the founding of this country and my mother, grandmothers and great-grandmothers were always quick to remind me of that. Plus the fact that I'm the only member of my family born in the bicentennial year so its expected of me to know these things. I wanted to serve coming out of high school, but having Diabetes is an automatic disqualifier. *sigh*

So yeah, I think of and try to honor those who've sacrificed for me and my family on this weekend every year and not the sales and parades and vacations.

Thanks for posting this up, Wade. :usflag:

3. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

:usflag::usflag::usflag:

4. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Kick ASS thread, Wade. Many do not know the true meaning.

A HUGE Thanks to ALL who are and have served.

A SPECIAL thanks and prayer to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

5. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Cindy and I got married on May 30th, 40 years ago. At that time Memorial Day was observed on May 30th every year. May 30th was also my father-in-laws birthday. So Memorial Day had much meaning to Cindy and me. I was serving in the Navy in San Diego at the time. I had a couple of relatives and friends that had been killed in the line of duty also.
    So we figured we'd have our anniversary off every year.
    Well, guess what, the very next year, 1971, they made Memorial Day the last Monday of May. So, the next year, we didn't get our anniversary off. lol