License Plate Bulbs - OMG F#$@% B^$%CH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Bruin, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Big Bruin

Big Bruin Sea Bass

Did I miss some simple way to do this?

I had a dead license plate bulb on my 300C SRT8 so I bought some new ones and figured I had a 2-3 minute job on my hand. What a terrible design... The lens just floats inside the bumper with nothing to hold it as you try to get a screw started.

My fingers aren't that big, but they were too big for the gap allowed. Didn't help that it is below freezing out, and you pretty much have to lay on the ground behind the car to do this.

Probably took 25 minutes, which included many breaks to warm my hands and to have cursing fits.

I put a kit in that has 8 SMD LEDs on each side, so hopefully they last forever and I never have to do this again!

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

lol yup. I hate the design. I too added LED's years ago. No more problems. ;)

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I think I was able to do mine by getting one screw started with the assembly at an angle. With one screw in most of the way or barely snug you can rotate the assembly to get the second one. (I didn't go with LEDs on that 'cause the led I got for it was super bright and white... police pull-over magnet)

4. 96GTS

96GTS New Member

I did mine in a parking lot to see if I could use the same type a my buddy's G8 (he had an extra). Used my leatherman multi-tool and went from stock to LED back to stock in less than 5 min. I agree, it's a half ass design, but I didnt deem it difficult. My hands aren't that small either... :shrug:

5. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

not always. sir have you had anything to drink tonight. lol

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

lolololol

7. Big Bruin

Big Bruin Sea Bass

Yeah - the first went on in a few minutes by getting a screw lined up and caught on a hole... Used that for leverage to pull the other in to place. Seems I got lucky more than anything.

The second one had some serious spring force in the wire and it would jump all over the place... At one point the whole thing popped in the bumper and had to fish the wire out to pull the light assembly back in to sight.

When you've engineered the fine details of such a machine - that something so simple was so poorly done is just annoying.

8. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Hahahaha. That will teach you to drive a nice car in the hood...

9. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

just glad we were in the shop car or i might have had to bag down on the officer. lol

10. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

bwahahahahaha