Lets talk blow off valves.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by 1fastsedan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I was hoping maybe some of the Neon guys could chip in too. So, I need a new BOV. The LX Vortech kits comes with a small, plastic Bosch BOV that isn’t worth much of anything. Now I’m at 10 pounds of boost and its definitely not keeping up. I really don’t care about the sound of it at all. I’m looking more for a reliable and consistent valve that won’t leak boost. I’ve been looking at the following models. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of them?

Go Fast Bits SV45
    [​IMG]

HKS SSQV
    [​IMG]

Tial 50mm BOV
    [​IMG]

ATI procharger
    [​IMG]

Turbonetics Gozilla/Raptor
    [​IMG]

Vortech Maxflow and Mondo
    [​IMG]

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Adam,

When I had my Paxton, I was planning on upgrading the BOV. The Teil was my first choice with the Turbonetics at a close second.

Glad you are doing this as I know exactly what you are experiencing.

I believe Legmaker upgraded to the ProCharger BOV.

Give Aaron from Real Tune a call, he has vast experience in BOV's and would never steer you wrong.

3. 1fastsedan

Thanks Ron. I saw the Go Fast Bits one and SEMA and it was a NICE piece of billet. It took a lot of restraint not to sneak it into a pocket. :)

4. Mighty Noid

Mighty Noid Need bigger cam and bette

Adam.. whatever Ron said he would buy.... GET THE OPPOSITE!!!

He is know around here to have a blown engine or two...

:welcome:

:ban:

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

haha But yea, make sure you get a 50mm.
    STFU King Burnout. bwahahahahahahaha :huglove:

6. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

hahahahaha, burnout king.

7. Mighty Noid

Mighty Noid Need bigger cam and bette

oh you are so funny... :maddy:

8. StewbieSRT

StewbieSRT 2+7 = Ham Salad

On my csrt i have the HKS SSQ. I have had 0 problems with it. Im running 17lbs of boost and its not super annoying when it opens at lower speeds but sounds boss when it is really working. Also Tial and Turbonetics make good bov's.

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I have the Teil BOV and it was cake to put on....and looks damn good too....

wasnt that expensive either (although i dont really know what others cost)...

so thats my vote :)

10. Dysphagia

Dysphagia Full Access Member

the best of the bunch is the HKS, its a trouble free extremely reliable part. just throw it in and go.
    the tial and raptor are both very good units as well but require a bit of fine tuning once installed and require the periodic tweaking.

I am personally running the raptor and it has been a very reliable part for 30k on boost ranging from 9lbs to 24lbs.

11. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Is there a difference between the Tial, Tiel, Teil? or are these just "alternate" spellings

12. 1fastsedan

Technically its "TiAL". I think the others are...uh phonetic spellings.

I've been looking at the differences between "push" and "pull" BOVs. For those that don't know, a push valve is held down by a spring with the seat pressure approximately the same as your idle vacuum. A "pull" valve uses a more complicated design, but the boost in the pipe actually forces the valve closed eliminating boost leaks and then a chamber that senses pressure differential actually activates the valve.

So the pros/cons:

Push - simple design, fail open design, possible boost leaks, requires more adjustment.
    Pull - more complicated design, no boost leaks, fails closed

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  13. Mr MoPar

Mr MoPar New Member

We use a BOV on turbo's so that it pops open as soon as you come off the throttle, it is held closed by the spring, pulled open by vacuum on the top of the diaphragm.

SC's use what is more commonly termed a by pass valve, it is open until boost pressure is sensed, and then it snaps shut.

They work opposite of each other, so make sure what you get is going to provide the correct function.

A BOV is a "push" design

A By Pass valve is a "pull" design

14. Dysphagia

Dysphagia Full Access Member

i'm pretty sure we are talking centrifugal S/C's here which use the same type as a turbo setup.

there are both push and pull BOV's as well, the HKS and Tial being an example of both.

15. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

You are correct, Sean. Adam is speaking of a Centrifical (Vortech) blower which uses the standard BOV.

16. 1fastsedan

You're both right. A centrifugal blower is essentially a belt driven turbo so the cold side plumbing, parts and principles are the same. Just no wastegates.

I thought a bypass was for dumping the boost back through the front of the blower. Mostly for MAF sensor set-ups. I've venting to the atmosphere now and I'm not planning on changing that.

17. Speedlogix

Speedlogix BMC is now Speedlogix

I'd suggest this one for a 10 psi Vortech system: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=25

I've run 11 psi on an S-trim and 22 psi on a T-trim with the above unit, and now have a YSi and recently upgraded to the last one you posted in your first post ... it's probably going to be bigger than your blower LMAO so I'd skip that one!

Here is a pic of my new one ...
    [​IMG]

18. YoungMedic23

YoungMedic23 Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

I like the blow off valve to be loud...i'll be upgrading from the racing to the mondo bypass valve this week

Here is the vortech racing bypass in action...works awesome keeping up with the blower and my drivability is perfect

Go to 1:50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RquJ1Hwik4Q

19. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

if you like loud the TiAL is fory ou LOL

just look at the video of one of chris's pre run burnouts hahahaha

and depending on your setup...you gotta see where these BOV's fit...the TiAL really had to be fit in there....so when cutting the hole in the piping...placement it key

20. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

For that low of boost I would say go with the HKS. The piston type BOV is going to be your friend especially if you are concerned with reaction time. From what I have been told the diaphram type aren't going to respond as well at lower boost levels due to the need for such a stiff spring to hold off the higher levels. With the Hks the more boost you have the better it is going to seal and it responds just as well at low levels as it would at high.

And if loud and obnoxious is what you want the HKS will do that to. I have had several people on several different occasions curse me out, try to run me off the road or flip me off when I blew off next to them. Mind you this was just normal driving shifting at 3k < 10psi kind of driving. Youngmedics seems quiet to me.