Latest on new Challenger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CentralTexHemi, Sep 13, 2010.

1. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Faithful reader "neonturbo" wrote that the Dodge Challenger will get two new powerplants. The entry level engine for 2011 will be a 3.7 liter straight-six, the same size as the smallest engine available on the original Dodge Challenger.

Factory worker "ultraducks" told us they dropped the Pentastar V6 when they couldn't get it to budge over 299 horsepower. "This engine matches the Challenger's retro looks better, and more importantly, takes the pressure off Saltillo, where the Pentastar V6 blocks are made."

The engine is apparently based on the vintage "slant six," beefed up with direct injection, MultiAir, and four valves per cylinder, providing 301 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque.

The engines will save money by using tooling found in the back of the factory, and are expected to be a temporary stopgap until Pentastar production can be increased and direct injection bumps power to 300 hp or more. "AC TC" wrote they will feature an aluminum main bearing girdle with integrated pan, and be connected to the Ferrari dual clutch transmission.

Topping the 6.4 liter Hemi V8 engine will now be a special production motor, originally destined for Ram Super Goat trucks.
    The completely re-engineered 7.2 liter engine, displacing the historically significant 440 cubic inches, will, with direct injection and other modern technologies, achieve no less than 750 horsepower for 2012. "neonturbo" wrote, "They had to keep up with the horsepower race, and they wanted to beef up the retro feel."

2. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

O.....M....G......

I SOOOOOOOOOO want a 440!!!!!!

Whats the reference to this info??

3. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I'll believe it when I see it. The few people I know who work directly for or as contractors for Chrysler have mentioned nothing about this.

4. srt cummins

srt cummins Full Access Member

Haha they they should put that in a truck lol. Then maybe they can compete with the cummins cause I know hemi and viper trucks don't.
    But really how much would this car be 70,000 I love mopar's but dam they think their shit is pure gold. Maybe if they lowered the price a little more people would buy them.

5. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Why would they need to compete with an engine already available in their line-up??

6. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Finding it hard to belive but if they come out with a 440 pushing 750 I´m in the market...:mains:

Fredrik:D

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Cause some of the guys who drive the trucks dont want Diesel for whatever reason.

If you told me right now I could get a 3500 Ram with a 440 that could be close to (cause i doubt they could make it on par with a CTD) the Diesel trucks, I'd be down for that lol.

Plus would just be cool to have a 440 haha.

Or even better, throw it in an "RT" ram and go balls to the wall.

8. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

I, too, surely doubt if you'll ever seen anything like a 440 in production. However, ONE could only wish!

9. bucky440

bucky440 Full Access Member

Personally, I don't believe any of this...the cost involved with designing, testing, and ultimately certifiying a ground up powerplant are way to high for this application...and a big displacement gasoline light duty truck engine is never going to happen again. Can't get over 299 hp out of the new v6, yeah, right...it's way too early for April 1st.

10. Speedlogix-Mikey

Speedlogix-Mikey SpeedlogiX Staff

Interesting read! Would be cool to see, but it does seem to be a long shot!

11. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I have yet to see the back of a diesel going down the track...and good thing...all a diesel is good for is a lot of stinking smoke and hauling cattle...

12. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

13. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

[​IMG]

emphasis on the "crazy rumors".

14. srt cummins

What's ur truck run? Where u from cause I know a lot more diesels going a he'll of a lot faster then a srt10 truck is. Ur truck don't burn much cleaner then a diesel. U get. What 12mpg in a 2wd.
    My old truck put down 475 to the wheels and I blew away srt10 rams from a roll. And at the track I could only run 14.5 at 99.99 mph with spray.

The only thing that sucks is no matter if a v8 hemi, v10 viper or I-6 cummins they are all expensive as hell to work on. Why can't we be like ford and build ur car badass or 6,000 bucks. Shit for what u pay for a 426 stroker and say a supercharger u can almost buy a bran new car.

15. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

My best run was a 12.1....not the best the truck would do....and another SRT10 member here just recently ran a 10.6.......stock regular cabs will run low 13s with a good driver and prepped low elevation track...QCs around 14.......evidently the 10 owners you are running cant drive if they are getting beat by a 14.5 truck............BTW...I get 14mpg city & 19hwy...:bigwink:

16. srt cummins

Yeah they run no where near 13's at 5,400 feet. Maybe Ron has ran better in his wife truck hear but the best I have seen is 14.2 at the track.
    Man u really need to meet some diesel guys down their in Tn cause their are trucks all the in the 9's that are not complete drag trucks. Should have some fun racing the diesel's are getting pretty big.
    My truck had no bottom end on it about 45mph on up it was on like donkey kong. With the 66 turbo it's would move pretty good. I'm building a truck about the same weight as ur srt10 I would like to see how colse the would be with about the same hp.
    Btw I'm not trying to be a dick if I'm comming off that way

17. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

My opinion is that only a V8 or more can compete with a modern day diesel.
    Sorry, I love my SRT and my Alfa V6, but the drivability of say my friends BMW 325 diesel is truly fantastic, it has the 3 litre diesel (only tune change from the 330 diesel) and with a new tune only it produced 289 hp and 612 nm, someone else can convert the torque into footpounds but its remarkable.
    And he still gets 40 mpg...
    A diesel will never rev like a petrol, but once up and running its really hard to beat, as a comparison a standard MSRT reaches 569 nm...
    I wouldn´t trade my Maggie but I´d love to have a modern diesel as a dayly driver!

Fredrik:ilovesrtc: