Lastnight I cried a lil...

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion Discussion' started by Mains, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

Keep in mind that my family has a very defined line in regards to politics (I am the only republican in the family) So discussion on politics does not happen! I do not even voice my opinions on canidates (learned that the hard way back when I first started voting)

So I am sitting helping my daughter Katelynn through homework and we took a break. She proceeds to say

Katelynn: "daddy, we voted today in class"
    Me: "for what dear?"
    Katelynn: "for president"
    Me: "oh? who did you vote for?"
    Katelynn: "McCain"
    ..... a TV ad pops up for McCain...
    Katelynn: "Go McCain!"

I did not wish to go into detail with her about why she voted for him. I however did state
    Me: "Katelynn I do not care who you end up voting for when you can vote, all I ask is be informed by whom you vote for, do not be blinded by the ads or what people say around you, take it all as a grain of salt"

I am very proud of Katelynn to come to her own conclusion on canidate whether it is wrong or write reasoning. I see everytime I go to pick up my daughter from school, the interaction between parents and child, they parent almost forces them to think one way or the other depending on the parents belief of how it should be. This guides our politics as to where it is now, and has been the past several elections that I have taken part in. There is no REAL option as to who is the right person for the job, just who is less likely to completely fuck us.

Why is that? Is it because we have created only 2 parties to pick from? Is it because we force our children not to see the people, but the party lines? Is it because we have breed a shit dumb generation of mindless voters and potential politicians?

Politics is a part of parenting now apparently. It makes me sick.

Thank you

PS. it has not been discussed with her who I was voting for but I have been a McCain supporter since the last time he ran for the primaries.

2. Leadfootluke

Leadfootluke New Member

Ugh.

Thats good to hear, but bugs me that networks such as Nickelodeon say "Children voted, and Obama is their clear choice!"

Are those kids really thinking for themselves? Why does it matter what the kids say about the candidates? I agree that as long as they understand the issues at hand, then opinions are great, but how many of those kids knew who they where "pretend" voting for?

3. Maximus from the 915

Maximus from the 915 New Member

Why does it bug you? It's for CHILDREN. I'm pretty sure Nickolodeon isn't saying, "See, even kids voted for Obama." Next you're gonna say it bugs you because Spongebob voted for Obama?

4. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

We have created this "socially acceptable" division in beliefs. Where we are allowing the media, educators, and even the car next to you to build our childs political belief.

I believe this fake vote is a good idea, however how is it being delivered to the students? Is her teacher pushing democrat beliefs or republican? or even 3rd party? The media is tainted, where can the people who really want to make an informed vote going to find the real facts?

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

It's more the principal of how Corporate Networks (Media) use television to sway the general public.

Luke, LOVE the Avatar man. lmao

6. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

When we have TV channels, News papers proudly announcing "we support John McCain" you do not think they will be skewing the facts to rule in that canidates favor?

Media is for fact, not tainted information. Children are not allow to vote for a reason, so they can build up an understanding of politics and real life THEN decide which direction they are going.

It is kinda like having miller lite commercials on cartoon channel... It is not appropriate.

7. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

I'm going to take the same approach on politics that my mom took with me. She never discussed her political leanings or who she was voting for, never got a bumper sticker or a yard sign, but every election, she voted, hell or high water. She always encouraged me to not take information at face value and to always try to "go to the source."

Yeah, when I was younger I got swept up in the liberal way of thinking. Then I moved out, got a job and experienced income and capital gains taxes. I started doing my research and then realized my way of thinking was not always in line with either of the parties. I've been a registered Libertarian/No Party ever since. Hell, I even disagree with libertarians on some points.

The only way a democracy works is if everyone who can vote does vote and does so after making up their own mind about things instead of what's popular or spoonfed to them.

Stuff like this weirds me the hell out... www.babiesforobama.com/babies/index.html

8. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Heh, look at it this way. Your main (<- haha, pun) problem is with parents who force their kids way of thinking. Most kids who have been forced all their lives rebel at some point. Usually in proportion to the amount of force applied previously.

9. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I have taught my son the same Mains...I have always told him to look at the source and think it thru....since he was in grade school he could tell you who he would vote for and back it up with facts...based on the issues & facts he has always went republican so far..better than most adults...he will be 18 next month..

10. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Not if Patrick votes for McCain...:ronlove:

11. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

religion and politics...... two things that are impossible to discuss without emotion....also impossible to "teach" to our kids at times with the constant bombardment from the media...

12. Ooomph

Ooomph I tea-bagged your drumset

Mr. Krabs will probably vote for McCain as well, afterall, he is a small business owner who most-likely would not want his taxes raised.

13. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

very true and squidward is a grouchy bastard who doesn't want to work so the Dems got him.

14. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

its the lesser of the evils nowadays my man. but still.....your daughter rocks

15. BigAl470

BigAl470 So Long Gay Boys!

smart Mr. Krab can then lower his prices since taxes arent killing him cheaper prices for us more business for him... think about it you tax the little guy more he must then raise his prices....simple math