I've come down with a severe case of SRT envy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JarZ, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JarZ

JarZ Certified Magnumaniac

I only get a slight fix when I drive the Magnum - it has Inertia's 5.7 CNC'd performance heads/Spartan cam/JBA shortie headers, color-matched SRT wheels and runs like a bat out of hell...

But there is something about the SRT that is special. Much like the AMG and M's of the world, it's the top of the line, the top dog - the one all the rest envy and aspire to become. Or something. I've never had "the" car of a line up - you could argue the LHS is the top of the line for the LH vehicles, but it's still a V6, FWD and not very "sporty".

I want it. When I was looking for the Magnum, I was becoming a little bit obsessed with it - like yakking my wife's ear off about the splendor of the Magnum and the LX platform. It's creeping up again...

If this fuggin snow would just stop so the car auctions wouldn't be canceled every week I might actually have a chance to get a car soon.

Imagine (I am!): SRT Charger or 300 for daily driving/work and Magnum R/T for weekend romping around, family trips, going to the park or beach. It will be glorious!!

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Fixed your post. Why go half-azzed?

3. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

I don't have to imagine having an SRT-8 as a daily driver.....cause I live it every day.

It's cool, but at the same time it sucks. I have OCD when it comes to cleaning the car.....and it's been raining a lot lately. Not everyday, which would be fine, but rather once every couple of days or so. That means I have to wash the car more often then I want to.

And the miles are piling up. But they've been fun miles, though.

4. JarZ

No need for two Mags ;)

5. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Yeah, my justification for getting the SRT instead of the R/T way back when was that gas mileage didn't matter since work was two miles from home. That was before I figured out I was only getting 11 mpg what with my binary driving. :) Gas!!! Brake!!! Gas!!! Brake!!!

Just bear in mind if you have an SRT for your daily driver, its a lifestyle, not just a car. There's the tires, the oil, the maintenance, the extra attention from other drivers in the know, the OCD complex about every little nit or bug that so much as looks at your car funny.

6. JarZ

Yeah I hear you. I'm OCD about the Magnum. Not that I'm very good at keeping it clean or anything but I'm worried about it.. you know.. don't want a scratch anywhere etc. I have promised myself that the SRT will truly be a daily driver and I won't obsess about parking on the street with any other cars and won't worry about it as much as I do about the Magnum. I will also rack up plenty of miles - well for me at least - around 20k per year just for work (sales) so in four/five years I should put on between 80k-100k on it. Then it'll be time for another SRT or I'll just keep it and put in a Stu built stroker and start at zero engine miles :)

7. JarZ

Lol yep you're right about that. I have that mostly planned out - maintenance wise anyway. Only synthetic every 5k, get some really good tires and of course the extra attention. Hopefully it won't be a cop magnet. :D

Oh - and I'll try not tearing the fascia off when parking nose-in in a place with those stupid concrete barriers or here at work where the entry and exit ramps are kinda steep.... ugh.

8. ChargerGirl

Yeah, it was a huge adjustment going from a Durango with a skidplate to the Charger with the airdam. :doh:

9. JarZ

Did you ever mess it up? My father in law has a 1999 Durango V8 so snow is no problem in that thing.

10. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Well, yea. Tam crashed her front facia into something just a couple weeks ago... Oh, you meant the Durango.

11. ChargerGirl

Yeah, up under neath where the belly pan and fascia connect its pretty scary looking. But I'm a much better driver/parker now out of necessity, can't say the same for the idiots in my apartment complex.

I had a scare in the Durango once, where I hopped the wrong curb and there was a big concrete gully/dip between the sidewalk and the street, so the Durango smacked into the pavement. This is how I found out about the skidplate, it had pavement stuck to it, but was intact. I think the street was crying though. :)

12. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

LOL... R U Kidding... we have FOUR MAGNUMS and love 'em all! The wife had two and I have two.

My 06 Mag SRT has 8,300 and I am VERY anal about keeping it NICE and FOREVER, so I only drive it in PERFECT weather... and drive my 05 R/T but not every day either... when it's really bad out, I drive one of our other cars. (My 05 R/T has 51,000 miles)

My wife's everyday driver is he 06 SXT (This was the flood car that we finally got repaired), so it just turned 23,000 and for a 3.5L, I'm impressed how good it runs! Her other car is also an 05 R/T same color (RED) as mine. She only drives this one when it's perfect out and it now has 48,000 miles!

Yup ~ We LOVE our Magnums ~ all FOUR of 'em!

13. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

I hear ya. When I bought mine, and when I looked over an M5, I cared nothing about it's status, just cared about the gobs of power. At least that's what I tell myself, but you're right, there is a pride that I don't think I'd feel in a 3.5L LX.

Owning the SRT is like being in a good marriage; she's got everything I want and the more I know her the better I like her!

14. Sabee

Sabee New Member

Amen!

15. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

I use my SRT and RT just the opposite. Drive the 05 RT most of the time 51,000 miles and the 06 SRT only goes out on perfect days, just turned 8,300 miles!

16. bucky440

bucky440 Full Access Member

I second that, had mine 13 months and it has 18,000 on it, the last three months in snow, slush, salt and crap you warm weather guys couldn't imagine. Try driving one on the interstate through the blue mountains in a snow fall - ice skating...
    I've even figured out how to carry 2x4s without messing anything up in the interior.

17. bucky440

bucky440 Full Access Member

I went from a Ford Excursion with a slight lift to my SRT and in 13 months I have only clipped one parking bumper...can't count how many times I have parked and then gotten back in the car to move it forward another two feet because my ass end was in the middle of the aisle.

Now it is the time of year that we dodge pot holes you could loose a Prius in...

18. JarZ

Bumpski

Sold my LHS today - new owner picking up the car tomorrow.

Now I have to buy an SRT asap so I can avoid putting miles on the Magnum:D

19. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Nice...make sure we get :gotpics:.

20. durangatang

durangatang asphaultmeltingeuphoria

I recently parked the durango to drive the magnum full time and after ripping the facia off on a few curbs I leave a foot in front of me when I park, take up a minimum of two spots and never park under trees. I hate birds!! Get at least one SRT before you die, you won't regret it.