Its official..................

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by kingnate, Nov 22, 2010.

1. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Accepted a job offer and will be moving to upstate NY in the next month.

:bye:

2. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Where abouts? City?

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I don't think they have "cities" upstate NY. Erik's garage, the gas station, a bar and you have a "town".

4. Velociabstract

Velociabstract Full Access Member

You really really should wait till spring to make the move, but hey, some like to jump in the deep end first so it gets better as time goes by. Good luck with the job and pray for an early spring.

Les

5. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

I'm originally from Upstate NY and moved SOUTH for a job and been here ever since. Miss some things up there for sure! ~NOT the weather though!~

6. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Rochester, NY is where I am headed. Start date is Jan. 3rd so not much choice on move time.

7. Quick

Definitely a choice. Go NOW! otherwise the road will be closed and you'll be late.

8. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

First things first....that's "western NY" not "Upstate NY" lol...Erik lives "upstate"...which is by the Lake Placid/Plattsburg area...Dont know if you have lived in a "cold weather" climate before but...I hope you have snow tires on that thing my friend lol. Lake Effect snow is not your friend.

Or if your from NYC..."Upstate" is anything north of the Bronx...but we wont talk about them lol

9. Velociabstract

Velociabstract Full Access Member

I can say a lot of good things about upstate New York but the weather in Rochester during the winter (my memory of those days is still frozen, and my face cracked) can be wicked. I had a friend that said "your most alive when suffering" so I think you are going to be really, really alive. It's fun to make fun of the bad weather ..... and tease the unknowing, but I have lots of great memories from upstate New York and I wish upon you the same.

Les

10. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Congratulations! :)

I won't say anything about cold, I gave up on the winter experience after a couple of years in Indiana.

11. MotherMopar

Born and raised in Buffalo (about an hour south-west of Rochester). Lived there for 27 years. Get ready for some REAL snow my friend!

Folks will bust on WNY because of weather... but make no mistake, its a great place to live.

Western NY is one of the most naturally beautiful areas of the country, IMO. Lake Erie, Lake Ontario (near Rochester), Niagara Falls, the rivers, streams, hills... the Fall season... I was just back in NY in October... the fall foliage is absolutely stunning. Never appreciated it until I moved to San Diego (perpetually 70 degrees and sunny for the most part).

Other than winter, the rest of the year, WNY is a great place to be. If you like skiiing and other winter activities, you'll be a very happy camper in WNY during winter. If you're not into those things, get interested. Winter in WNY provides for alot of variation in lifestyle... a big change compared to the other seasons.

Sure, you'll get a major snow storm once, twice, three times a year that'll keep you indoors, but other than that, folks are so used to it up there, that life goes on as usual. Good thing about most snow storms... the news will see them coming... its not like a tornado that can just appear.

People in WNY are generally an interesting blend of mid-west and NYC... meaning the NYC attitude is there to an extent in areas, but the people are generally friendly and harbor traditional American family values. WNY is a hard working area of the country that's hit a down slide since about 30 years ago or so. But there's alot of character and sense of community unlike most other places I've been to in the USA.

Become a Bills and Sabres fan... or you could face a firing squad! Sports are an intricate part of WNY... and no matter how horrible the team is that year, they still get supported. WNY is a loyal, "NO QUIT" area of the country when it comes to sports. The people identify with their teams like few other places. Their teams are a part of the community psyche. The minor league Bisons (in Buffalo) are more of a cult draw. Newer stadium right downtown. I suggest hitting up some pro sports venues... a crazy-exciting environment. Its a community passion. One thing that'll start a discussion or argument are the Bills or Sabres. Read up on their history and latest wins/failures and you can talk to anyone for hours up there (good networking). The Jim Kelly years... study it hard.

WNY is also known for its food. Little do people know, but wings aren't the only thing that's good up there. My Dad used to always say that if a restaurant can survive in this town (Buffalo), they're either catering to a very specific crowd (ethnic) or they're damn good overall. Of course, the "family run" Italian restaurants are mostly money laundering fronts, but they're food is epic and the servers generally friendly. LOL

BTW: Its weird when I go home to visit and the tap water, IMO, is as good as bottled water, but always cool.

If you like fishing, hunting and other outdoor things, look no further. Many don't think of WNY as a hub for such things, but rest assurred, its there and its big. Heck, look at the waterways to choose from!

History? Pre-WWII, WNY was a major cultural and industrial center... think Bethlemhem steel (2nd largest steel plant in the world at its height), the Erie Canal, Niagara Falls, Canada a bridge away... Revolutionary war forts, War of 1812... tons and tons of history to explore.

Summer in WNY can range from absoultely PERFECT to humid and hot. Doesn't rain all that much, but you'll have years where it seems like it'll never stop. But, it makes your entire world green and alive. There's alot of wildlife in WNY.

Fall is stunning. 'Nuff said.

Spring is typical spring weather you'd think about. Some rain, life beginning anew. Mild.

Housing is relatively inexpensive, taxes a bit high though.

Cars? Cars are a big thing in WNY. Not SOCAL big, but there are clubs and events for sure. Do a google search for the local clubs, haunts and hangouts.

WNY is a day (or less) drive from Detroit, NYC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland...

Overall, I'd have no problem moving back to WNY from San Diego if I needed to.

There are many intangibles you'll discover that make the area special. If you're ever in Buffalo, let me know and I'll send you a few pointers.

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

this advertisement for WNY is brought to you by MOMO travel industries!

very well written buddy haha

I have friends out in "B-Lo" and they love it there...it is whatever you make of it haha.

13. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Congrats, Nate.

14. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Congrats. Quess you couldn't stand not have Ron there anymore.

15. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Na, he figured I still wasn't far enough away. lol

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I was going with the positive route that he was so upset that you left...he couldnt stand being there without you LOL

17. MotherMopar

It did come off as an advertisement! LMAO!!!

For those from "less than heralded" regions of the nation, sometimes, you gotta speak up to let others know your hometown isn't as bad as the news makes it out to be, you know?!

The Buff isn't Vegas, San Diego or NYC or Chicago... but its a great "little" town.

18. Quick

you can get the blue TV channels from Canada.

19. MotherMopar

Oh crap! That's right... there's always the "Canadian Ballet" to go see on those cold, lonely nights! LMAO!

20. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

lol.......curling.