It is time for brake pads.....which direction?

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by NetNathan, May 25, 2009.

1. StnePny3

StnePny3 Full Access Member

I put a set of the #93's and did 2 days at the Streets of Willow in May ( with the Nitto NT 05's) and a full day at Willow -the Big Track ( rotated the Nitto's) & I'm still good to go.

No, fading (as far as I can tell). Still have plenty of pad for the next time.

Oh, yet, brake dust .... I drove 90 miles there, played all day & drove 90 miles home ... I washed my car the next day ... the prices you have to pay for a good time.

P.S. I also had some brake noise, but, after you drove it like you stole it ... It was gone. I think these are the closest aftermarket pad that is close to the factory pads.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

...and the Nitto's? how did you like those? can you compare to the Vreds?

3. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

This should be good. If my memory serves me correctly he said the V's were junk at the track....at least longevity wise. It might have been someone else who said that...but I'm not sure. After our PM's Dave, I'm pretty sure I'm going to give the NT05's (275's) a shot.

Oh yeah...how bout them brake pads, LOL.

4. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Yep....errrr...StnePny3
    When I talked to the guy at Barke Man he just said to go over the rotors with sandpaper. He doidn't mention a grit that I remmeber.

I have "scored" the rotor surface before to keep the pads from squealing durning bed in (works better than oil.....lmao). It works well on cars I have done it on, same with drum brakes. I have just never used 80 grit. Most of the time I have used 120 grit and not real hard. Just enough to break the "sheen".

5. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

I used 120 grit. I didn't get any of the bite I was looking for so I put new rotors on her. I did have 36k miles on the rotors so they were probably on their last leg anyways.

6. Quick

I guess (very) lightly sanding them might have the benefit of removing the old type pad material if you're changing the type of pads you're using. but that can't be good on the new pads. I don't imagine it's good for braking either. Sheen = more braking surface.

I guess it depends how long it takes to wear the rotors smooth again. In the mean time they're going to be shredding your pads. If they smooth quickly and you have some initial surface that's supposed to be removed from the pads then that would be a good thing.

It's normal for pad material to be transfered (and bonded) to the rotor surface and like above I suppose it's good to remove that.

7. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

I have done this even to fresh turned rotors, no doubt on a rotor with a "used" face.

A light buff of sandpaper will help the pads "make their own surface".

It has to have some validity...
    The Brake Man guy (Cory) recommended it also.
    I believe that Midas even does tihis.
    I have worked on brakes (both disc and drum brakes} for a few years and have always done it.
    A old mechanic taught it to me back in the late 60's, that was drum barkes.....but I don't see a big diffference here as far as brakes go.

Granted you may have a "little" accelerated wear on the pad as it wears the rotor face smooth again..... but it makss sense the rotor surface to pad face connection is improved.
    Thsi wear obviously depends on how "deep" you sand. That is why before I only lighty buffed the rotor or drum face.
    I knew when I heard "do a cross hatch pattern with 80 grit" I shouldn't have done that deep.

8. TALON

TALON SRTV8

I've been using "EBC" Red Stuff for ten months now with Brembo "Sport" rotors. Better stopping power, and much less dust than the OEM pads.

Ken

9. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

errr...... not to get off track with the topic of the thread (like i ever do that).....

i now have vreds and have quite a dislike for them........ WAAAAAAY to noisy of a tire!!!! :getlost: they might grip nice, and look cool, but for everyday "realworld" driving, they are just too damn noisy for me!! back to the nitto's for me when i wear these out!!

oh yeah, nathan....... i run the posi-quiet red for pads. awesome on dust!!! but as rick will tell you, i am a wanna be r/t driver that has castrated my srt with these shit stopping pads!!!! :whistle:

10. StnePny3

I've only run GY F1's = 9K & Nitto NT05's = 2K's. I have 11K on my '06 Charger SRT8. This not my daily driver, but, when I take it out I drive it the way it was intened/built for.

Yes, myself & Cory of The Brake Man told NetNathan to scuff the rotors with 80 grit or use a brake hone for 10 - 15 seconds or until a uniform non-directional swirl pattern is seen. It is not necessary to remove all the old brake material, but, some compound don't play well together. In fact to improve performance of the brake system, this should be done, after every race for asphalt cars & after 2 to 3 races with a dirt car.

As for longevity on the Nitto NT 05's, it all depends on how you drive your car. I know I will see less life than the Goodyear F1's, but, I had more fun.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  11. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

This has to do with you having a lower profile tire on 22" rims. For guys with the 20" rims the Vred's are quiet as hell. I wouldn't go running back to one specific tire just yet. I'd ask guy's who've been running 22's and get the reviews.

12. StnePny3

It seems these threads are never ... Apples to Apples

It's hard to compare a 20" performance tire to a 22"

just as it is hard to compare a guy with performance brake pads with a show car guy who does not want brake dust from his brake pads.

13. Quick

NT05's. sooper quiet. Little bit of singing right at 60 mph and nothing the rest of the time. Way mo betta than Invos (and if you don't like them they won't last all that long anyway).

and they work well with any brake pads :grin:

14. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

just took my posi-quiets off after about 40,000 miles or so, and they have almost as much meat as the brand new ebc red stuff's i put on. horrible squeak every now and then, but i guess i gotta knock out that 1000 mile break in. braking is back to eye-popping though :)

15. Bda1855

Bda1855 NOOB

Where can i get Brakeman pads? I looked at their site and dont really see anything resembling a store... is it just a call and ask thing?