It is time for brake pads.....which direction?

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by NetNathan, May 25, 2009.

1. StnePny3

StnePny3 Full Access Member

The story goes..oohhh my SRT8 (performance car) has brake dust aaawwwee

Did you buy the car beacause it looks prety or because it was a high performance sedan

Brakes 101, brake make heat, (good) pads make dust, something has to wear pad or rotor. The Pads are suppose to wear, not the Rotor. (Pads wear out before the Rotor)

People like Ceramic Pads because of little or no dust, they do not care about performance braking, they a DD street drivers. Some of US want the performance in a pad that will be a good match for the car when WE go out for recreational use.

Warren, The Brake Man, has been in the business for 40 yrs., he started with Airhert in the late 60's. Airhert was bought by Hurst, and in the 90's, The Brake Man was started, alot of east coast racer use these products, on the west coast alot of Viper Series guys use the products.

I talked to a Brembo rep. in great lenght, my concern was that I like the pads on my '06 and No Brembo Distibutor would sell them to me, I had to go to the dealer. I was informed that because of a the SRT8 customers complaining about brake dust, they put out the TSB and had Brembo come up with a lighter, less agressive pad with less dust (less stopping ability), Dodge was not happy with the change and told Brembo to go lighter again (more, less stopping ability) just as long as there was little or no dust. So, even if I like the '06 Factory Pads, they have been changed twice. Yes, the cost less, but, if they are the aftermarket factory replacement are they the new compound of less dust (less stopping ability)

I am after the High Performance/Track Weekend Pad and I do not mine the brake dust (Semi-Mettalic Pads #93's) because after a weekend of the track my car needs to be cleaned.

The Brake Man can make their Hi-Pro Street/Track Pad in a Ceramic, little or no dust, just ask for the #91's (they have a #2 for the street & a #3 for the track).

Since nobody will call or try The Brake Man (805-987-7867),think about mixing the EBC Red's and the Yellow's compound together, would be the best way for an outsider to explain their #93's Street/Track Pad.

I looking for Ken (when he needs brakes) to give this a try and Matt(MoneyPit) they are working on a pad for your new set-up.

2. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Nice writeup. What do the Brake Man Street/Track pads cost for a set? I'd love to have a set that equals, or is better than, my Bendix/06 Brembo pads...providing they don't cost and arm and a leg.

3. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

4. StnePny3

OK, Bud here the BAD News about The Brake Man Brake Pad .....

.... THE PRICING .....

Front - #93 - Autocross Track/Street - Semi-Metallic - $78.05
    Rear - #93 - " " / " - Semi-Metallic - $56.93

The #92's & #94's are for Truck's

The #91's are a Street Pad in a Quality Ceramic compound. These pads do cost more than the #93's.

5. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

That's not a bad price...unless that's per pad??

6. cmn1

cmn1 SRT and SVT

I would like to know some info also. Now I am not complaining because I was not the only one to go through a set of front pads on this course but I thought you guys might like to see what a brand new set of pads looks like after 65 miles on Road America. 1/2 tank of gas every 30 minutes. Here is the course.
    [​IMG]

Here are the right front pads. Also, no dusting. Must have been driving too fast and it couldn't stick to the wheel. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anybody have any insight?

7. StnePny3

Are those the factory Brembo pads ?

This may call for The Brake Man #3 pad (Track pad, not recommended for Street Use).

Any Insight, (not cheap) Run, The Brake Man F5 Caliper in front (the pad in here is about 1" thick) and the F4 Caliper in the rear.

You can have fun on track days like me & Dad'sSRT8 or you can go racing like Moneypit, the harder you play, the more you pay (for your equipment).

8. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

C.. Thanks for the info...

I will be more than interested in giving these pads a try... I have 1 maybe 2 track days left in the Hawks... I am going out at the end of next month and again in August and Nov and possibly one more time .. up north NCal depending upon work schedules and who is going where.. Laguna or Thunder Hill.. hopefully

9. StnePny3

K.. I would be good to get some addition feedback. I know how I'm learning and pushing my car, but, I think you push your car a little harder than I do because you have more seat time. For all I know you may not like the #93's, but, would enjoy the #3's more (they are the track pad).

Happy motoring ... keep the shiny side up

10. cmn1

cmn1 SRT and SVT

The pads were EBC Yellowstuff.

11. StnePny3

Bud, that's the price for the box the pads come in & a decal ..............HAHAHAHAHA

No, just kidding, its about $ 135. for a car set in the #93's

12. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Thanks brother! You made the comparison to the EBC yellows and reds. I've never driven a car with either. I've only driven with the 06 Brembos, the Bendix/Jurid (06 Brembo composition), and the posi quiets. How do the 93's compare to the original Brembo's...better, same?

13. StnePny3

Bud, I like them & the 06 Brembo's. But, like I said Chrysler/Brembo gave up the '06 compound & changed it twice in '07 & not for the better (performance) from what I understand. I was going to look at the Bendix, and would use them over the Posi-Quits anyday. I have not used & will not use Posi-Quiets.

Did any body know that the '07 & SRT8 pad is .100 smaller ? Check the FSMi numbers and you will see than '06 is 1149 and '07 & up is 1298

14. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Dammit... I had '06 pads but I sent them to Hemi31 and he burned them up doing brake stands. lol

15. Bda1855

Bda1855 NOOB

Thats not bad!

I have a box ot EBC redstuff pads for the rears...

Maybe ill grab some fronts, have my rotors turned and then plan on New rotors when its time to change...

now i need to find a dealer i can buy the pads from.

I had the Posi Quiets on my Lightning... its the standard brand from R1 Concepts... yeah they fade pretty bad... LOL its scary standing on the brakes of a 5K lb truck and watching it not stop and roll into an intersection...

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

This is the pad I am going with when my current pads are done

17. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

This has been discussed in detail for the jeeps since we have horrible brake squeel from the rear pads, all of the ones mentioned did not help BUT this for the rear brembros

06 cts-v rear pads Part#089047744
    CTS-V stock or Akebono Euro Cermamic 2006 CTS-V

Front GS6 Pads

Yes the CTS-V pads will fit our rear brembros

18. StnePny3

The front pads on Gen I/Gen II Viper will fit our rears also.

19. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

I have been runing the BrakeMan pads for about a month now.
    They work well. The dust is just a little less than the stockers.
    I did have some light squeeling in the beginnning. I just took it out for a heavy bralking drive, almost like a bedding session. The squeel is gone.

1 more thing...
    I was told to use 80 grit sandpaper to break the polish finish on the rotors. I would recommend something like 120 grit and not 80 grit. I lost some brake material to the rotor and it took a few miles to get rid of it from the rotor surface.

Overall I am happy with the pads. They stop really well and I haven't gotten to any fade point yet. But I have not been on a track yet..... just twisty roads.

20. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

The brake man told you that?