Is Turtle Wax Ice Liquid clay bar a replacement for regular clay barring? Answer=No

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by kingnate, Jun 29, 2008.

1. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

I thought I would be lazy and give the Ice liquid clay bar a try before going with the real deal. If you have very light contamination it should work just fine but for anything more than that it looks like the good old fashion clay bar is still going to be your best bet. Just thought I would pass on the word. :bye:

2. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

did you use the ICE Polish too?....

i thought it was streaky...i tried it on a black car (wasnt gonna try it on mine :happy:) and it was a bit too streaky for my liking...

if you call Turtle wax up they tell you to wipe off the streaks with a damp towel lol....awesome...

3. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

nate - i use the liquid stuff for "routine" maintenance. it is just not strong enough to handle any really tough contaminates. it does make my paint look awesome when i use it in more of a preventive manner to clean the paint before waxing.

steve - as for the ice polish..... pure crap for a dark car!!!! especially bad in humid climates!!!! streaks are an understatement when i first tried it last summer!!! does nice for some of the plastic and rubber pieces, but shit on the paint!!!!

4. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Really? I love the Ice Polish. I bet it works best on silver and white cars then. The detail spray in between rocks and makes the car look like it was waxed that day. I have a lot of different products in my garage and would rank the 'look' that the ICE gives as just as good...not sure about the durability.

5. LegMaker

milan - the ice works pretty good on light colored cars imo. i have used just about every friggin polish/wax on the market these days...... the ice stuff is just very difficult to remove or at least not have streaks when used on a dark car. now the detail spray is actually pretty good stuff though!!! i like the ultimate detail spray from meguires though!!! ll

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

C'mon guys, it's TURTLE wax. They make it to sell to the KMart crowd. :whistle:

7. LegMaker

easy there mr. pretencious........... lol

target sells it as well!!! hehehehehehehehe

8. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

:hmm: i wonder why it works best on LIGHT cars...CANT SEE THE STREAKS! hahahaha

i got it for free so it was all good

9. LegMaker

well then steve.......no issues for you!!!! light car + free product = good results!!!!

10. 6.1luvr

6.1luvr Baptized by Fire

I usually apply the ICE with a steel wool pad and that takes care of any streaking....:whistle:.............Seriously though , I use the ice on my Inferno Red and like the results, I have noticed when I first started using it, it streaked horribly but the more coats I apply the less streaking. My first application took over an hour due to the streaks, 30 coats later I can do the truck in 10 minutes without effort or streaking.

11. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Red doesnt = light hahaha....

I can and will use it on my truck to get rid of it....since the truck is silver

12. HEMISFEAR

Chris, I have the Meguire's stuff too and think it's a bit better as well. Costco was selling the Ice stuff in a pack though so I have a couple of them.

13. BJB

BJB Brian

Zaino. (period) I'm pretty sure you can't get it at Costco:whistle: LOL Hey Milan, it looked pretty shinny the other day when you were looking for a gas station!!

14. HEMISFEAR

Yes, I know Zaino is the way to go...but in all honesty,I don't care for the multitude of stages that goes with a Zaino regimen..

And how does anyone keep a clean car on Bryan's road lol??

15. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

Im sure this stuff works great but im a die hard Zaino user, as long as your happy with the shine its all good.

16. Rajunz

Rajunz Turbocharged

I've always used the 3 step Meguiar's Deep Crystal for the show car look. It's alot of work, basically wax your car 3 times, but the results are truly amazing. And it's less than $20 for all 3 bottles, then use their spray detailer to keep the shine up.
    [​IMG]

17. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Yeah I use the Ice polish works great. If it is streaking you are leaving it on too long.

18. bigdog425

bigdog425 New Member

i have used the ICE claybar stuff but i use it after the car is washed and a little wet still seems to work ok but not like the clay. i do like the meguires 3 stage stuff that works great! so glad i have a buffer or it would take all day to do those three steps!

19. NoisufnoC

NoisufnoC New Member

i've got the ice polish and the spray detailer.

the polish went on and came off alot easier than other waxes/polishes i've used. it came out really well on my e blue neon, but i wouldn't say it was a show car quality finish. for a quick wash/wax it does the job. for a better finish i'd do a multi-step process like zaino.

good info on the "liquid clay bar". I was looking at that when i bought my polish.

what do you guys use as lube when you clay your car? i've been using spray detailer.

20. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

I use the liquid clay for minor stuff but it still doesnt beat the accual clay bar. I like the Ice stuff for on the fly and i havent run into any streeking. but it still doesnt beat a good waxing