Is a Twin Screw on a 426 Stroker Civilized enough for D Driver

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by CrazySRT8, May 16, 2009.

1. CrazySRT8

CrazySRT8 New SRT8 Owner

Stu is should be finishing up my forged 426 stroker for my 08 SRT8 300! I'm getting anxious! I'm leaning towards the idea of having a low boost twin screw supercharger installed. ( I will not install if forum members have had nothing but issues with these set ups! This build needs fun in it!)I'm working day and night 7 days a week trying to gather the cash for it! I'm looking to see if any members actually have a twin screw on their dailly drivers? and if the boost come on gradually or is it like getting rear ended by a tractor trailor? I'm not looking to beat any ones timeslips, race every weekend! just have a lot of fun! However it will need to be civilized somewhat. My last build was a forged, stroked , supercharged Hemi Beast! I currently have Inertia Heads /Cam, Trq Cnvrtr, CAI, Cat Back Etc. This combo runs strong, Josh @ HHP Tuned it and have 0 drivability issue. This 426 should be stronger and more recreation that I'm craving always! Along with the stroker I'm having Tony @ Shippan install Kooks LT Headers&Mids,09 LSD, Axles and Driveshft, Paramount Stage II Valve Body. I'm just looking to see if installing a Twin Screw will be a good and or great addition , or , will it put my car in the garage more often othan not! Any members with actual twin screw experience please post comments. One more thing, Techo, SMS, Whipple or Kenne Bell! Who has the Big Daddy of them all. Thanks.

2. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

I'm sure you'll be getting feedback from those in the know very soon. Gotta say, its all about you. Sounds like you've got seat-of-the-pants neuropathy if you need a twin-screw for day-to-day kicks. Personally, the stock block is almost too much for daily driving, but I'm not you. I figure if that's what you need, and you don't mind the lifestyle costs (tickets, people wanting to race, tires, engine tuning/upkeep) then go for it.

3. StnePny3

StnePny3 Full Access Member

I can not confirm or denie, wait for a Magnason (Magna- Charger) if you want a twin screw.

4. CrazySRT8

CrazySRT8 New SRT8 Owner

What does Magna Charger offer the othe 3 don't?

5. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

good questions, subscribed

6. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

As of right now.......A wait ;)

ROFL sorry couldnt resist :)

7. BlownHemi

BlownHemi It feels good to be blown

^^^ thats funny good one LOL

x2 on why the magnuson. Just seen a Magnuson kit installed on a TBSS and was NOT impressed with the kit quality. It wasn't bad just not great. It def made power though. The Techo kit is better designed IMHO. It looks like it came from the factory with the Techo.

8. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

i am sure our very own 1bad4dr will pop in here very soon with some comments. he just picked up his 426 techco blown daily driver!!!

i say you should have no problems with it!!!

9. RobAGD

RobAGD Cranky Wanker

What exactly are your Daily Driving requirments ?

As an example HemiC drives his Blown ( Paxton not twin ) Magnum into DC every day for work, there are still a few tuning issues he is working on. I drives it for a few hours on the way back from NC I encounted oneof the tuning issues getting onto the highway and outside of that the car was well behaved for my time driving.

If you want low end tear it up kinda fun, put some gear into the car, that will be less expensive and easier over the LONGER haul on the motor. as yo mentioned you were not going after time slips just fun, with the 426 and a little gear shoudl make it a real fun "around town" car without the extra tuning issues, fuel issues etc.

Me if I were to do a Twin Screw pump, I would stick with a failry stock displacment setup to avoid higher side loading that some of the strokers bring to the table with the really long strokes and short piston skirts.

But that is all personal preferances and what some can live with you may not want to deal with.

-Robert

10. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

11. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

The right tuner can give you a very nice DD. Trojans car even though extreme with too much throttle has perfect streetable manners. I rode in 1bad4drs Friday and it handled city traffic perfectly, very impressive.

As long as you don't push the upper limits of the unit and go with a good tuner (cough, cough Bob@SVS or Lafrad), you'll be golden.

12. CrazySRT8

CrazySRT8 New SRT8 Owner

Who are the top three tuners ? I go from Orange, CT and Boyton Beach, FLA. CT is my residence and FLA is my winter home. As far as what type of DD , I travel around CT estimating projects my company bids on in construction. As the day progresses, too many calls come in, I start stressin! and I start feelin the need to go get on the SRT8! also in the morning, I live right next to a nice stretch of empty highway, and this where I can stretch the legs out on this car pretty good. I'm not over abusive, just love to go really fast, often.

13. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Top 3 IMO are Bob@SVS, Lafrad, and DynoSteve@RDP. Not in any particular order.

All three can do your tune via datalogging and email.

Oh, and if you are in Florida, there is always Diablo. Johan can knock out a great tune as well.

14. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

If you are going to do the install/tuning in Florida you are right down the street from us and Diablo. We can do your install and Johan from Diablo can do the tune if you end up going the F/I route!

15. CrazySRT8

CrazySRT8 New SRT8 Owner

I will be in FLA from the 19 thru the 24th of May, I will try to make it to your shop, I just bought a house in Sun Valley. The closing is Friday. I called Johan, he said to make a apptment, that was for the stroker. I'll see you guys soon or call. Thanks for all the feedback, I just need to make a educated decision!

16. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Awesome, I know exactly where that is.

Look forward to seeing you we are probably 15-20 minutes from us.

We are in the midst of a monster build for Rubbel and his 426 Chally topped with a Techco Twin Screw, and also our own Shop Chally is getting a 397 Stroker and Techco Twin Screw as well, so we will have plenty for you to look at!

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  17. SOUTHERNHOTROD

SOUTHERNHOTROD Supporting Vendor

Don't forget your favorite New Orleans shop! LOL! We have been known to build a few FI cars.

On a serious note... The Techco kit is the best kit out there PERIOD.

18. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yes you have Eddie. Sorry I did not give you a plug in. :friends:

19. SOUTHERNHOTROD

SOUTHERNHOTROD Supporting Vendor

No big deal. I was just kidding. :grin:

20. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Yup, Eddy and Johan are good to go too!! :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Eddy, make that check payable to [email protected]yshot