In my oil catch can

Discussion in 'Videos and Pictures' started by EricG, Dec 10, 2007.

1. grinner

grinner dude

I emptied mine the other day and found the oil in in pearlecent.
    I didnt know what to think... other than some kind of synthetic oil break down. It literally changed colors as I poured it out... gold, bronze and blackish pearl.
    weird?
    smelt like old gokart gas.

2. EricG

EricG Full Access Member

4300 miles this time and maybe 80-90 ml? 0W40 Mobil 1 and I only went to the track one time. There were all those floor it in 1st gear in autostick at 25 mph tire shredding powerslides up to 50 mph through intersections though...:rock:

[​IMG]

Eric

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Dammit, I sent a sample to Blackstone labs to see just what it is we're catching and if it's any different than what's in the pan. AND THE FRIGGIN POST OFFICE LOST IT SOMEWHERE. Now I have to wait to collect enough for a sample again.

...and again that works out to right around 10 ml per 500 miles. I'm thinking that's VERY typical. And I don't think it's much dependent on the type of driving one does. Hard, easy, I wouldn't expect it to make much difference. Sustained temperature might effect it.

thanks for continuing to post your results.

4. black08

black08 black08

These Hemi`s have to have them....unless you want all that crap in the manifold and eventually building up on the valves

5. EricG

EricG Full Access Member

Really racked up some miles in the past two months. 4500 miles including a trip to Minnesota on this batch of 0W-40 Mobil 1. Looks like I eclipsed the 100ml mark. There were several extended trips including a couple over 14 hours straight on this batch of oil. No drag strip passes - sadly.

[​IMG]

The odometer reads 38300 now and she's ruuning great!

Eric

6. Quick

Ok, just sent off ANOTHER sample of catch can oil. Like an idiot I sent it USPS again... This time priority mail receipt requested. The receipt requested part is worthless with respect to the post office losing it but the priority mail part means that it gets sorted before first class so it's getting some sort of different treatment. Maybe we'll finally know exactly what's in there in a day or two.

7. Quick

Yea! FINALLY the post office managed to get my oil sample to Fort Wayne. The completely lost the last one and this one I sent priority mail and it only took 10 days....

Here's the results. Pretty much as I suspected it's pretty much what's in the oil pan. Keep in mind that it's bone dry around here most of the time so I wouldn't expect a whole lot of water condensation to be going on in the crank case. My oil from the catch can usually looks like normal, used oil. It's not jet black but it's not clear either. I told BlackStone that I was trying to compare to my other samples taken before oil changes. The newest one on the left is the sample from the catch can (collected over about 5000 miles, 20 ml every 1000).
    Bottom line is, I've always kind of figured that what you see in your catch can is pretty much what you would see in your oil pan and this pretty much bears that out. Seems that there is more silicon in it and that the viscosity has been effected.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bucky440

bucky440 Full Access Member

Also the flash point is lower. The oil in the catch can has probably been slightly distilled, having been a vapor in the crank case and then recondensing in the catch can. Would expect these changes. Would NOT recomend pouring it back into the engine!

BUT, THANKS ALL FOR THE TIP TO USE THE CATCH CAN.
    I just emptied mine for the first time at oil change before my trip to Carlisle this past weekend. Installed the can on the car at about 2500 miles and emptied it the first time at 7500. Good thing I did (I will have to do it more often) There was 4 onces in it, almost full to the top. No racing, no drag strip, just going to work and trips (occasional brief throtle exercising was experienced)

Bottom line, they work, everyone should be told about them when they first sign on here. :thanks:

9. EricG

EricG Full Access Member

----Good insight from the last few posts. Thanks for the analysis report. Silicon is bad, basically that's dirt/dust/grime.

Update: just over 3 months and 3800 miles. I think I set a record, we're definitely past 100ml on this one. I don't know what to attribute the increase to, no track visits but plenty on fun driving. About 1 1/2 months ago I added just under 400ml to keep it in the sweet spot (1/2 inch above the full line on the dipstick)...which is about normal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]