IAT Sensor Woes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dookie, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

About 2 weeks ago my CEL lit up and after the key dance i have the OBD code P0112...I use my Interceptor gauge and look at the IAT sensor readings while the car is idling. The temp reading is going crazy...from ambient up to 375 degrees and all over in between, changing rapidly. Okay, no big deal, my sensor took a crap. Simple fix, replace sensor, this is where the fun begins...

I log onto Rock Auto, bring up the catalog page, enter my info and start looking. Was a little difficult, but finally found it under "EMISSIONS" as "Air Charge Temperature Sensor". Sounds right to me, but the picture it had next to it was of the ECT sensor...I figured it wasn't accurate to the actual part, so I ordered it.

They send me a FED EX tracking number and shipment notification. I give it a few days and decide to track it. Shows set for delivery on the 13th...the 13th comes and goes and no sensor, that weekend I track it again and it shows to be delivered and signed for by "RJONES"...great, i figured it got delivered to someone else by mistake. Called FED EX to let them know the problem, they take the information and say someone will call me to get this resolved. Tuesday rolls around and no call. I called them back again and go through the same spill with customer service. They say they will advise the delivery driver again, and have them call me. Still no call, but they did drop it off the next day. Whew, finally...

Open the box, and guess what's in it...yup, an ECT sensor just like the picture showed...SHIT! I call Rock Auto and discuss with the CSR...she takes the info and says she will call the manufacturer and see if it was a packaging error, and call me back. She calls back and said the manufacturer says it will work for either application, Air temp or engine coolant temp, they are in fact the same sensor...At first I laughed, and explained to her that whomever told her that needs to find a new profession...they are dead wrong. She has a chuckle with me and says she was sorry for the mistake and will email me an RGA call tag to send it back for refund. I accept, and get all that done.

So, I still need a sensor...I go by my local Auto Zone (Don't judge me :)) and tell them exactly what I need. He pulls up a sensor marked in their system as "Air Temp Sensor", but it didn't have a picture in the system, but again, sounds right. So i order it, they say it will be in tomorrow. Okay great. Next day I go to retrieve it, and open the box. inside is the AMBIENT air temp sensor...Shit! Okay, let's try this again...He looks deeper in the system and finds one that says "Air Charge Temp Sensor" but still no pic...again, SOUNDS right...Order it, and will be in the next day...next day (yesterday) go their to pick it up, open the box, and inside is ANOTHER muther fucking ECT temp sensor...:dumb: GEEZUS FUCK. The guy does his best to locate the correct part in the system and finally I told him to forget about it and just give me a refund, which he does.

Today, call dealership I use for my parts and ask for the guy I know...he's out this week...Okay, maybe you can help me. I explain I need the Internal Air Temp Sensor, the one in the intake tube that is just before the throttle body. It takes her a little bit and finally says, do you mean the Air Charge Temp Sensor...I said, well is it located where I explained. She says ummmm yea. (Probably didn't even look). I say okay, do you have it...No, I can order it and will be in Monday. I give her the go ahead, so we shall see Monday if they get it right, but I have my doubts...

Sorry for the lengthy post, but maybe my fiasco may help someone else avoid problems.

2. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

Kyle,
    Why didnt you go to the dealer to begin with??

3. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Man you need to learn NOT to trust the parts counter guys.

Step 1) go here and download the LX parts manual.
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=24486

Step 2) go to page 106 in the pdf

Step 3) call the dealer/online parts site and order: 04606487AB

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

It's actually called an "Inlet Air Temperature Sensor".
    Good luck.

5. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

In the parts manual, its listed as: SENSOR, Charge Air Temp

6. Quick

True, true, I looked it up in the Service manual. lol, different name there.

[edit -- delete wrong part number -- that's for the oil sending unit].

On the other hand I think Kyle just likes ordering stuff. That way people call him and he can pretend the delivery guys are visitors :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  7. Quick

Heh, I just realized I have my sensor oriented wrong. That plastic "frame" around the sensor should be turned so it's like a window frame the air blows through and not sideways to protect it from getting bent over by incredibly high velocity wind.

Thanks Kyle! :)

8. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

thanks for the part number I already have the parts manual, but obviously forgot. The only number I found on the sensor itself was 6487AB which looks like the last 4 digits plus AB...Any who, at least now I can/will verify i'm getting the right part on Monday...thanks Adam.

9. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

typically i can get much better pricing from other sources, and me being me, i always try and save money where I can. Not to mention i've been having to pay double house notes for 4 months now (Anyone looking for a nice Condo in BR?) so money has been somewhat tight.

10. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Haha..Dave was wrong. :thongue2:

11. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Awesome...now when you shove it up your ass, you can measure your farts wind velocity to a frogs hair. :)

12. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Hahahahaha, thanks for making my night Kyle! Great story, it reminds me of someone I know very well...

Fredrik:grin:

13. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

LOL...glad others can get amusment out of my misery Fredrik...:)

Part number verified with dealer, so I should be GTG on Monday.

14. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Kyle I have a spare one if all else fails man.

15. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Thanks Wade...Dealer just called and said it was in, and Friday I verified the part number, so it should be correct THIS time.

BTW, why do you have a spare? I don't recall a lot of people having them crap out. Also, if/when it does, it defaults to 375 degrees, which likely just pulls a ton of timing and you don't get full power. Vehicle still runs fine for DD.

16. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Well if anyone hears a big boom in Baton Rouge it's just Kyles head exploding when he opens the box and finds an ETC sensor;)

17. Quick

Back when people first started installing CAIs a few snapped off the sensor getting them out of the stock tube the first time. The judicious people bought a spare before they started the job.

(some even got the right one)

18. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

I bought a used AFE intake and the guy shipped it with his stock IAT sensor in it because it was a PITA to get out so when i got it I had mine so now I have an extra one.

19. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Lmao...nah, all good. Got it, and it's correct.
    Bad part is, it wasn't the sensor anyway. I installed it and had same problem. So I removed the loom and found a hack job splice where apparently Kelly Hammack cut the fucking wire and re-spliced it back in...im guessing with a broken piece of glass and his teeth. :eek:oh: That dude is a sad excuse of a person, much less a qualified mechanic. I had bare wire on both of them and they were making contact and shorting or causing erroneous signals to be sent to PCM...
    So, i cut all that out and butt spliced back correctly and installed...working fine now. Think i may hit Chris up for a IAT sensor extension.

20. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

^^^Mike at BWoody sells them as well and they are built right just in case you didnt know.