I spent the whole weekend...

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by loxmith, Nov 18, 2013.

1. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

driving around Atlanta looking for rims. What a waste of a week-end...except for the whole getting new to me rims part. LoL!

2. loxmith

Saturday started with me getting rid of an old set of Acura rims, that I had acquired from my son. So I was in the market for some new wheels, (thanks Downtown Atlanta) I had found a guy on Craigslist selling 5x100 16" Steelies from a VW for $50. Sweet!

[​IMG]

That was perfect! I could put on a 225 50/16 tire, and have probably close to 2" extra sidewall all around. I was thinking I'd like to see the roads downtown bend these...to bad they aren't 5x100 like advertized. :cry:

Turns out the guy was mistaken, the rims are not 5x100, they are 5x112, and he's far enough away...I'm not going to waste my time and gas again, to get my $50 back. Oh well, time to move on.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. loxmith

So first thing Sunday morning I hit up the local pull your own part junk yard that I like...to browse for some rims. I went there hoping to land some 16" Steelies, but I figured the odds weren't going to be good...and I was right. All the 16" were the wrong bolt pattern, and all the 15" were too narrow. (I still want to run a 225 tire.)

I did however stumble across a Neon that had a matching set of 17" Aluminum wheels. That will allow me to run a 225 width tire, which factory rims are too narrow for. Were cheaper than the factory rims I was considering, less than $100 for all 4. And it will still give me an extra 1" of side wall over the tires I have now...so it wasn't a wasted trip.

[​IMG]

They aren't black like the steelies...but that's nothing a quick trip to the powder coater can't fix. :bigwink:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  4. loxmith

Anyone do anything interesting?

5. Viperam

Viperam Viperarcheologist

Polished off my 2010 Viper breakout.... lots of sitting and internet searching....

Believe me, you had more fun

6. loxmith

^ Hahahaha...I believe it.

7. Viperam

and when you finish, there will be something visible for people to see

8. loxmith

I'm trying to be patient, and do these rims right...but it's tough. Part of me wants to just slap some plastidip on them, so I can get them on the car sooner. But as much as it's killing me to have to delay and do it right, it's not like my bent rim is so bad that the car is not drivable with them. So right now patience is winning. That being said I need hurry up and get the rims off to be powder coated, 'cause patience isn't always my strong suit. LoL!

9. Viperam

soda blasting is a good way to clean the rims up quick (cost isn't to bad)

10. loxmith

Cleaning isn't the issue...I want black. Ever since I plasti-dipped the rims I have now, to see how the car would looks, I haven't wanted to go back to silver. I guess it's true, once you go black you never go back. LoL!

11. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

I've had lot of ideas of things to do; but hardly did any ~LOL~

12. loxmith

That's probably because you don't know where to start. If I had half the cars you do, everytime I'd sit down to try to figure out a plan, I'd probably get distracted by another car. :rofl:

13. loxmith

Remember that part where I said patience wasn't always my strong point...:rofl2:

[​IMG]

That's like 4-5 cats of plastidip, then 2-3 coats of clear on top of the plastidip.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. loxmith

In my defense, one of my sons friends invited me and my sot to run the tail of the dragon on Saturday with him, his dad, and another friend...so I was forced to be inpatient to get my car ready. LoL! I'm gonna have the alignment checked/fixed on Friday, then as soon as she gets home...it'll be wheel on! :yes:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  15. loxmith

The only downside is the center caps, 2 of the ones I had broke when I went to put them in. So I've still got to find me some center caps.

16. loxmith

So, I've got some center caps on order. Going to have the alignment checked on Friday. Then it will be new wheels on, and an excuse for a roadtrip/photoshoot on Saturday. :bigwink: