I can't fucking take it anymore......

Discussion in 'Under hood' started by SRTLUVR, Mar 7, 2011.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

I'd LOOOOOOOOOOVE to unload about 25 rounds from a 12 guage right into the engine bay of my Charger. She's been down for over two months now, due to a MOTHER FUCKING fuel rail install!!!!??! Really??? YESS!!!

At first, I'll admit, I didn't realize that AN fittings didn't need much torque. So I learned my lesson on a couple of fittings the hard way. But since the very beginning, I've done nothing but treat her with absolute finesse and fine touch. But now, all I get is leaks. When I replace one fitting another one leaks. When I fix that, another part leaks. My baby has been sitting in a fucking garage for 60+ days because of stupid ass mother fucking AN fittings.

I did all of this just for "looks" right now, and to be ready for F/I down the road. But I'm majorly regretting it now. And I don't even wanna talk about how much this has all cost me. But let's just say, take what you'd normally pay for a Fore fuel rail setup with front and rear crossover lines, and DOUBLE that shit.

I'm out of money. I'm out of patience. And lucky for my Charger, I'm out of fucking ammo. Rant over.......maybe.....

2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

chase..............best to stay out of the garage for a little while and decompress brother. i know the feeling and it sucks. don't worry brother, things will work out. maybe just have your installer buddy take care of it and be done. just an idea. whatever you do, stay away from the charger with any kind of tool in your hand that you could do damage with! lol

3. SRTLUVR

Walker has inspected it first hand & doesn't understand why it would be leaking either.

4. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

mix match fittings? I have found that just because it's a -an fitting doesn't mean it's universal. If you use Russel stay with Russel, and so on......I had one that leaked for no reason and had to redo all the fittings.

5. SRTLUVR

I've discussed that very issue with Ralph. I'm sure he'll chime in.

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I'd agree. Take a break.

Those are light weight precision fittings. And aluminum? Once you cross thread, or over torque they're pretty much done. Probably the *most* common mistake when getting started is over torqueing. If you're going to wrench yourself it's very much worth it (critical?) to get a good set of torque wrenches. 1/2" and 1/4" drive. They make them with interchangeable drive ends so you can do open end wrench torqueing as well. Absolutely everything with threads has a torque specification. More often than not, before you get a feel for it, you think "there's no way that's going to stay on there" when torqueing something correctly. Over torque and you warp the threads and/or the fitting (very easy to do with soft metals). Once stressed, fittings can leak, or fail, or even worse, fail later. Being as it's your fuel system it's critical you get it right. Might not be something you want to hear right now but you might consider scraping and replacing all the fittings you've installed. Make sure all the hardware lines up and meets perfectly and do it again.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  7. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

i hope u get that car running like it suppose to.good luck bro.

8. SRTLUVR

I have some more precautionary fittings sitting in the garage, that I can replace. I'm off on Wednesday and I'll mess with it all then. Thanks Dave.

9. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

I will echo Erik's comment. Dissimilar brands supposed to be compatible are not always that way even though they are supposed to be.

Where I work I recently changed to a new vendor to replace out Swagelok fittings...big mistake. Most things fit but we had the occasional fitting set that leaked like ballz and it sucked trying to figure out WTF was going on.

Start slow brudda and work things one fitting at a time.

10. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

dude, that sucks donkeyballs.

you'll get it eventually, or smash it to bits office space style.

either way it will be a good feeling.

may the force be with you.

11. SRTLUVR

I'm going to change one more t-fitting on Wednesday & if that doesn't fix the issues............

12. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

I have heard some people say that dissimilar fittingd do not match up but in 25 years of doing race car plumbing I have never found this to be a problem. Chase, like I said in my email put everything in a box and send it to me (incleding the rails). I will install it on my test manifold and pressure test it. I tested the hose to 80lbs before I sent them. I will put it all together and check it that way.

13. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Wax on, wax off.

14. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Obviously you got lucky....I have seen it plenty. Especially with Earls and Russel. They don't play nice all the time.....and stay far away from summit brand.

15. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Hey, look on the bright side, at least it's not overheating. :bigwink:

Ery body says "Don't use Teflon tape...blah blah"...I always do. I Teflon the threads ONLY (obviously) and install everything hand tight. Put fluid and pressure to it, and tighten with wrench another bit or until it stops leaking.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  16. TALON

TALON SRTV8

Chase, sorry to hear about your problems... I've been there too!!

I've had no problems with all the lines that I've personally made in the last three years. I only use XRP AN fittings, and XRP hose for gas lines. It might cost a little more than the others, but I can sleep at night. I have had major problems with hose leaks made by others.

Ken

17. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

LOL...Kyle's got your back Chase ;)

18. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

errr, teflon tape and thread sealers are for NPT fittings where the point of the thread does not go all the way to the apex of the corresponding groove. Another note with torques. They're generally specified dry (and clean). If you use lubricants, sealers, or whatever substances you will not get the proper torque using a torque wrench.

19. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

doughtful. lol

20. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

you mean where you kinked the line?