How to slow down a prius (NWS)

Discussion in 'Videos and Pictures' started by vinnysrt8, Mar 11, 2010.

1. vinnysrt8

vinnysrt8 Full Access Member

2. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Yeah I would give him alot more credit if he wasn't talking shit behind a mask. Sack up buddy.

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

haha it's about time someone made this video...

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Can't believe it took this long. And where are all the jokes too?

ps, that's not a mask. It's a racing helmet liner.

5. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Yeah, woohoo for helmet liners. Though I was expecting him to eventually put a helmet on.

The whole Prius thing is the perfect storm of possibly self-destructing crap boxes with people who have no clue about driving in the first place. :doh:

6. Quick

I keep looking at Prius' on the road figuring I'm going to see one with a sense of humor. Something like a sign in the window "I"m not speeding, the car is", or "I'm not racing you, it just looks that way". Something... haven't seen one yet.

7. ChargerGirl

Yeah, same here. I'm starting to wonder if this glitch explains what I thought were aggressive Prius owners passing me on the freeway doing 80 something. Maybe they weren't cussing me so much as screaming for help. :bye:

8. Quick

I've been waiting for it to come up on KGO or somewhere but I doubt it will...

What about the technicalities and legal issues with dealing with the situation? Not the (assumed) problem itself, but the situation.

It's looking like there is a very good possibility there may be a dangerously serious problem with the controls. A widespread problem.
    If it was an airplane, everything single airplane of that type or other types that just maybe could have the same problem would have been instantly grounded until it was sorted out and characterized.
    Legally, in most every state (and maybe the NHTSA has the authority too) I believe they can take your car off the road if it doesn't pass a safety inspection.
    There have been a number of deaths directly attributed to the problem.
    Unintentional acceleration has a high potential for lethal accidents -- at an intersection, going into it or while making a right or left turn (if nothing else, maybe running up on a sidewalk), going around a sharp turn, etc. Your average prius driver just isn't likely to have the fastest reflexes in realizing something is wrong and then immediately doing something about it...

So how come no one has even broached the subject of temporarily grounding all those cars?
    Is this a "too big to fail" situation. "There's no way we can afford to deprive that many people of their mode of transportation to possibly save only a handful of lives?"
    Maybe it's not just the hardship on millions but the money? I suppose the legal damages of doing that might have the potential sink Toyota for sure? Just here in the US probably wouldn't do it but I suppose if something like that was done then it might spread to other countries.

There's got to be something more to it that I'm not thinking of. I mean, I'm just amazed that this subject hasn't been broached (publicly). Yes, there was just a small suggestion some time ago where somebody suggested that maybe if you didn't have to drive that you might park your toyota until they diagnosed the problem but I haven't even heard the suggestion since.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  9. ChargerGirl

Yeah, all the stories I read about people with questionable Toyotas, the dealers always ask them to drive the cars in and most owners opt to tow it rather than running the risk of it happening again, but Toyota keeps treating it like its no big deal. Meanwhile, everywhere I turn on almost every television show, every social group (even my stay-at-home mommy type toddler dance class there were jokes and comments made and half of them drive Toyota), it comes up. So its already getting to the point that their reputation has taken some hits. I guess they're hoping that by offering zero financing and deep price cuts that people will forget and forgive or that their market base is just that stupid.

10. Quick

No, that's not the point. What about maybe the DMV banning them from the road until it's resolved?

I suppose the risk is too large.
    Let's say the state bans them from public roads.

If they're right and the problem isn't resolved real soon it would/could ruin toyota. All those people would be out of a car and with a ruined toyota no chance of recouping anything.

If they're wrong, Toyota would probably ruin the state and bankrupt them with the damages.

No matter who was right in the end, all the owners are going to be suing one or the other for damages.

It would be a logistics nightmare of mega proportions and ... the states are kind of short on resources right now.

If they don't do anything then possibly only a few more people die if there actually is a problem that takes a while to fix.

So if you were in the position to make that call, what would you do?

11. ChargerGirl

I'd probably be considering jumping out a window... but in all seriousness on the one side I'm hearing that its a catastrophic issue for Toyota and possibly many other brands of late model cars that use the same technology for steering, acceleration and braking. If that's the case, then yes, the "right" though painful thing to do would be to get them all off the road to protect bystanders, other drivers and the owners and their passengers.

But I'm also hearing how this could just be another case of politicians taking a relatively small issue and blowing it out of proportion of the sake of lobbyists and special interests and political cred, in which case I'd be holding back on such drastic measures and letting Toyota attempt to deal with it. Either way, yeah, there's going to be a ton of lawsuits, frivolous and legitimate, you may have people looking for a quick buck at Toyota's expense. And you have Toyota who's been top dog for so long, they aren't ready to be treated any differently. Plus you have all the potentially unemployed, and the owners with no recourse and yeah...the whole thing's just messy.

Glad I made the switch from Toyota to Dodge years ago, though I feel bad for Marc and his '02 Lexus. He's been debating trading it and now its probably not worth as much trade in wise as it was say six months ago.

12. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Eh point still remains valid :bye:

13. vinnysrt8

vinnysrt8 Full Access Member

im going to put a toyota sticker on my jeep so when i get pulled over for speeding just tell the the gas got stuck

14. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Exept for the foul language a real hoot...

Fredrik:popcorn: