How To set fan controls for 180* and 170*

Discussion in 'Diablosport Q&A' started by 1bad4dr, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I believe that should be 219 and 210 (we don't have mid speed fans so always set them the same as the high speed).

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Well then there ya go. haha

Thanks Dave for the correction.

3. hemi_SRT8

hemi_SRT8 Village Idiot

I just got my Predator today...

The stock fan settings are 217F for LS...226F for HS. I also put in the 180F thermostat which is 23F below the stock 203F stat. I used this 23F offset and put my fan settings at 194F for LS and 203F for HS.

I also noticed that the hysterises, if you will, is 6F. My fans kicked on at 194F...and then they turned back off at 188F.

Keith

4. Quick

I have mine about 2* lower but it shuts off at the same place (~188). The Autozone/valucraft/motorad 4128 opens at 185. I think the Jet t-stat might open at 180.

5. hemi_SRT8

hemi_SRT8 Village Idiot

I think the 4128 actually starts to open at 180F. If you look up inside the copper tube on the bottom, 180F is stamped on the bulb. Also, when running down the highway, my temp runs at 181-183 consistently. And, then I have to confess, that I tested it out in a pan of water on the stove before I put it in. Now, I can't comment on the accuracy of my thermometer, but the stat did start to open right at 180.

Huh, I wonder why the hysterisis band is different from your car to mine? Anywho, this is a great investment.

Later,
    Keith

6. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

7. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Shouldn't matter what version software you have in the Predator.

My examples have to be manually entered by the end user.

8. Quick

quite some time ago (many versions) the predator canned tunes changed back to the stock fan settings. (I think it was after 6r20 or somthing like that) Reason was that not everyone has gone with a lower T-stat. If they set the fans in the canned tunes for a 180 T-stat then they would be running constantly on for those people with a stock t-stat. better to just have the coolant temps run stock no matter what t-stat you have installed. If you have a lower t-stat installed then you can adjust the fans to match.

What you are setting with the Predator is the fan TURN ON temperature. Once the low speed fans turn on they will run until the coolant temp is 3 or 4 degrees below the turn on temperature. The high speed fans will do something similar (not sure if it's the same amount). If the T-stat prevents the coolant temp from falling below the turn off temp then the fans will run continuously.

The str8's have a really good cooling system. As long as you have a decent amount of air flowing through the engine bay (and radiator) the fans aren't needed. For example if you're cruising on the freeway the coolant temp should stay right at the T-stat full-open temp. If you're using the 4128 Motorad your freeway coolant temps should stay right at 186*. Everyone calls the 4128 Motorad a "180*" tstat but it actually is full open at 185*. I believe the Jet is full open at 180*. If you do a WOT 1/4 mile run your ECT WILL climb -- at the very least until your high speed fans turn on. This is more load on the cooling system than cruising at WOT throttle.

So, in general, if there isn't enough air flow through the radiator and engine bay your fans WILL make up for it (but your engine coolant temp will NEVER go below the temp your t-stat closes at once the engine warms up).

The PCM expects the engine to warm up to 167* to 170* degrees within some amount of time after engine startup. If this doesn't happen over some small number of key cycles the PCM will thow a CEL code. (this is for those running a 160* t-stat with fan settings to match).

To summarize: The T-stat will determine your minimum temp. The fans will limit the max temp (over the t-stat temp).

If you don't want your low speed fans running all or most of the time then set them 3* or 4* over the temp that your T-stat is fully open. You can check this in your driveway. Set your EVIC to display engine coolant temp. Let the engine idle, open the hood, and check the temp when the low speed fan turns on. Then wait for it to turn off and check the temp again. You low speed fans should be pretty quiet. I had to stand out by the engine and listen/feel for the fan turn on/off and run to the driver's door and look at the EVIC temp display. The high speed fans aren't that critical since you should have them set to turn on well above the low speed fans. They should be set high enough to turn off above the temp where the low speed fans turn off. If it's reasonably hot out your high speed fans might kick on eventually in the driveway if you have the hood closed.

You can also check the t-stat partial and full-open temp with a pot of water on the stove and a meat thermometer.

Yes, it shouldn't hurt if your fans run all or most of the time but they are noisy. I just don't want to hear my fans running almost constantly when puttering around town. You could also set your low and high speed fans the same for an "all fans on/all fans off" effect.

I don't believe we have "mid speed" fans. Only low and high fans. I don't think it matters what you set your mid speed fan settings to but I haven't experimented. I always set them the same as my high speed fan settings.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  9. OMSRT8

OMSRT8 Full Access Member

^Great explanation Quick. For some reason, this is the first time it has sunk in for me. This is why my high speed fan seems to run all of the time once the temp. reaches a certain number. I will have to make some adjustments based on your post.

10. ALABAMA MSRT8

so whats the best setting for the fans.many people set theirs different from others. SO WHAT IS THE BEST?

11. Mike@Diablosport

Mike@Diablosport Full Access Member

There is no right answer here.
    Everyones will be different based on what stat you run, and your local climate.

A little experimenting here will go a long way...

Thanks
    Mike

12. ALABAMA MSRT8

i have the NAPA 191 (180 degree) thermostate and i live in b'ham alabama.tempature is around 60 degrees.MIKE, what do you think the best setting is? if all out fails,i will just set mines the same as 1BAD4DR.

13. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

You will not go wrong with my settings...

14. ALABAMA MSRT8

thanks ron.im going with your settings.

15. Quick

There isn't any "BEST" setting. It's kind of personal preference.

Generally, for performance, colder is better. I believe the PCM might start pulling timing over 190* (not confirmed). In any event, the hotter the engine runs the more heat soak from the engine bay. You're also sucking a lot of that hot air into your CAI as well.
    If you never get over the 167*-170* the PCM is looking for it might throw a CEL code (no effect other than the code). Some people feel it's a good idea to get your oil and some other fluids up to a certain temp. Gets rid of condensation and some stuff to some extent. On the other hand you could probably just change the oil a little sooner.

IF your t-stat is actually full-open at 180* then you might as well take advantage of that and set your fans so it runs close to that. You might set your low speed fans to turn on at 185* or 184* or maybe even 183* -- remember they will run until about 3* or 4* below the turn on temp. If you set them lower than that then they might run all the time. It depends on where your t-stat starts to open and how much until full open -- remember that you can drop your t-stat in a pot of water on the stove with a meat thermometer and check that visually. So maybe it starts to open at 175*. Let's say you set your LS fans to turn on at 181*. Maybe the t-stat is half open at 178* and the amount of circulation with the LS fans on brings it down to that. Then they would probably turn off and you'd rarely get over 181*.

If you're running the car hard then the low speed fans won't cut it. The temp will just climb until you hit the high speed fan turn on temp. Do a WOT 1/4 mile, log your ECT, and you'll see it go right by the low speed fans turn on temp. If you wanted to you could set your high speed and low speed fans to turn on at the same temp. Let's say you set them both to come on at 183*. You could expect to have them cycling on and off pretty frequently while your just puttering around town. Your temp will never go over 183* in town but you can really hear the high speed fans.

You could set one or both below the t-stat open temp and they will just run all the time. So you see. It depends on what you want.

My recommendation? Let's say you want to be pretty much race ready all the time but you don't want to sound like a Louisiana swamp boat at the red lights. I'd try setting the low speed fans at 184* and the high speed fans at 189*. Should always keep you under that 190* number and the high speed fans will never kick on unless you put your foot in it.

Try it and see what it does for you. Try Ron's settings and see what they do for you. It's not hard to change them. If you want to get serious, run a 160* t-stat and just adjust your high temp with the predator (you don't really need a heater down there do you?). If you're just cruising on the freeway you don't need fans at all and its' going to run at the t-stat temp.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  16. ALABAMA MSRT8

thanks for the info QUICK.i had set my fans just like RON did. and yes i need my heater down here. all next week the temp is going to be 50 for the high and 30 degress for the low.

17. durangatang

durangatang asphaultmeltingeuphoria

ok, When I do this it says error validating file and tells me to reboot. SO I reset all parameters to factory setting for the Perf 91 oct tune and then reinstalled it.

Do I need to do anything else after I change the fan settings?

18. Quick

Err, umm, so did you get your fan settings changed or not? I think someone else had this "validating file" error too. Don't know about that. Should be in another thread here?

Nothing else to do for changing fan settings. Just drive it and see if you got them where you want them.

19. durangatang

durangatang asphaultmeltingeuphoria

No it wouldn't let me load the tune. When I go to install tune it thinks for a few seconds then comes back with the error. I've tried it a few times now and the same results each time.

20. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Stop by the house, Mike. Let me take a look at it for you.