HOW-TO: Paint Stock Wheels (Even Mains Wheels!)

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by GooberMT, Jul 8, 2008.

1. GooberMT

GooberMT They See Me Rollin

What you need to have:

2 Cans of Wheel Paint (whatever color)
    2 Cans of Sandable Primer (I prefer Black)
    1 Can of Wheel Clear Coat (there is a lot in 1 can!)
    220Grit Sand paper (4 Sheets)
    1000Grit Sand Paper (2 Sheets)
    Index Cards
    Wheel Cleaner
    Towel
    Water Bottle or Soda (For when you get tired)

What you first need to do, is take in a deep breath because you have a long day ahead of you.

First Clean off your wheels, and get off whatever crap may exist on them and towel them off dry!

Then Get your 220Grit Sand Paper and begin sanding your wheels. Once done, they should look similiar to this!

[​IMG]

Once that is done, go ahead and reclean your wheels, so they are all clean and dust free.

Then go ahead and use your index cards and place them on the outer lip of the wheel where the tire meets with it. They may not sit flush, so I prefer putting a new card every half a card to maintain the cards from falling.

Then proceed to shake your primer can and begin to spray a light coat on your wheels. Should look like this for your first coat.

[​IMG]

After that, let the wheels dry about 30min to 45min and then spray on your second coat and then your third after that, repeating the same time frame after each coat. When done, your wheels should look like this.

[​IMG]

Then after you let them dry properly (1hour) hit them with a good wet sand with the 1000 grit, to make sure there are no bumps and all. Then replace your index cards and spray on your first light coat of your color. They should look similiar to this

[​IMG]

Then let them settle, look for any blemishes or bumps, if not any then proceed to spray on your second coat. It should be a bit thicker and look similiar to this when done

[​IMG]

Once your all done, with all your coats, let the paint dry for about an hour, and then get ready with your clear coat can and keep shaking it. When ready proceed to lay your first coat on lightly. Let it dry afterwards about 15min, and then proceed to your next coat, etc.

When done your wheels should look similiar to this when completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your time in reading this quick write up!

Enjoy!

Gabriel

2. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

perfect! thanks mang when I get home I will make it worth your time...

3. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

looks perdy dang good.. i painted my wheels on my tiburon in pretty much the same fasion, but taped off the tire so i had no chance of overspray.. index cards will do the trick though..

final product looks good.

4. magic man

magic man New Member

can you do this with polished wheels