HOW-TO: Crankshaft timing sprocket install

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by Dysphagia, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Dysphagia

Dysphagia Full Access Member

This HOW-TO will be pretty important to anyone who needs to remove the oil pump.

After two days of attempting to hunt down dodge "special" tool number 6792 (crankshaft sprocket install tool) i was beginning to get pretty pissed. One of the 5 dealerships in town that work on the 2.4L actually had the tool and wouldn't lend it out and no one knew how to get one to sell to me. One service tech even told me he just hammers them on (this is a really bad idea because the "special" tool sets the sprocket to a very specific depth, a depth the the FSM omits so that you need to have the tool). I finally got a hold of a SRT tech at one of the dealerships and he let me in on some pretty good info.

-Lube up the crankshaft with motor oil, set the crank sprocket on the crank as far as it will go by hand. Do not forget to put the seal in the oil pump before you begin putting the cog on.
    [​IMG]

-Set the Harmonic balancer in place, put motor oil on the bolt, thread in the bolt. Tighten the bolt until the harmonic balancer is bottomed out.
    [​IMG]

-This should leave the Sprocket approx .025-.030in away from the face of the oil pump.
    [​IMG]

If done correctly the sprocket should be aligned perfectly and not eat timing belts alive.