HOW-TO: Change The Trans Fluid (SRT-4)

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by mike@bwoodyperformance, Dec 16, 2007.

1. mike@bwoodyperformance

mike@bwoodyperformance Supporting Vendor

First you will need your supplies to do the job.

You need to buy:

3 Quarts-Mopar ATF+4 Transmission Fluid from a dealer $3.75 a bottle
    1 4 ounce bottle of Mopar Friction Modifier $6.75 for 1 bottle
    A transmission fluid Filling tube you can buy at WAL-MART for $2.50.(if you dont have one) It will screw on top of the quart bottles.
    Other Fluid Suggestions From Users;
    Mobil 1/Redline/Royal Purple Syncromax**
    Amsoil ATF+4
    **generally poeple do not use friction modifer additives with the 75W-90 gear oil

Other things need to do the job:

An 8mm Allen key
    2 floor jacks(not necessarily needed but what i used, will explain what is used for in a bit)
    A pan of some sort to catch used fluid

OK now to start changing your fluid.

1.First thing you have to do is get the car to be level to simulate as if it were on a lift. You can either park your car on a small slope and use a leveler to see that the car is actually level. What i did was with the two floor jacks I have I put one jack on each front lift pad and on each side of the car. I jacked them up a little bit then measured from the floor to the side skirts and matched the height on each side. I made the height 10" from floor to side skirt. I did this because I had no leveler.
    Having the back of the car slightly lower then the front will allow the old fluid to better drain out (light just jacking up the front of the car and leave the back alone).{-editors note}

2.Now if you have the stock airbox you will want to remove it to be able to fill the transmission back up. if you have a CAI, you will have no problem filling it back up.

3.Now you need to locate the drain plug and place your pan underneath it obviously. get your 8mm allen key and loosen the drain plug and take it out then let drain into pan until drip stops. once all is totally drained wipe the plug off a little then tighten the plug back in. not too hard though, so you can get it out again but enough not to leak. Heres a picture of of the location of the two plugs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.After step 3 is complete you need to then locate the fill plug. once you locate it all you must do is pull it out. once you do that you are ready to fill the transmission.

[​IMG]

take one of your 3 quart bottles of fluid and screw the tube to the top of the bottle. once you have that on you need to place the other end of the tube into the fill hole.

[​IMG]

you do this from the top of the car(hence why removing airbox if you have it) now the tube has a feature to turn and open up flow from the bottle. which is nice so it doesnt spill everywhere while positiong the tube.

once you have it in place open it up and squeeze the fluid into the transmisson. after you have 1 quart in your transmission i put in the friction modifier. you need to put all of it in. once you have the friction modifier in put another full quart of the transmission fluid in.(using same technique as before)

once you have 2 quarts in, i then took the 3rd quart and poured half of it into a bottle i already used. i then attached the tube to the bottle that i poured the fluid into and began putting it in. now be sort of slow with this one bottle. because as you fill pay attention to make sure the fluid isnt coming out of the fill hole. once you see it dripping out a bit stop filling the transmission. that means that the transmission is now full. pull the tube out and let the fluid drain from the fill plug area until done. once it is done dripping put plug back in. wipe the transmission down, and you are done filling the transmission.

5.now check for leaks from drain plug and fill plug to make sure everything is ok. once you have checked that out put the stock airbox back in if you have removed it.

remove the floor jacks from underneath the car and once again check for leaks. after you have done that start up the car and push the clutch in and shift into gears. then once again check for leaks. after that is done take her out for a quick spin. not too long though in case there is a leak that may pop up. after your ride check for leaks again and if there is none you are good to go.

enjoy a smoother shifting experience.

2. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

If going with the Mopar fluids... here at the part numbers:

Mopar ATF+4 Transmission Fluid
    Part# 5013457AA

Mopar Friction Modifier
    Part# 4318060AB

3. Indian srt-4

Indian srt-4 Mr. Warranty

did this to mine and packerfan42043's car and it took like 15 mins tops. we used royal purple and now the transmission shifts like buttah

4. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

good write up
    im gonna do mine again when i put in my new clutch

5. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

I remember when I did mine last year I would turn the front wheels on the car while it was in air. (Car was in neutral) And more old fluid would come out.

6. 2muchpsi

2muchpsi Gold Supporting Members

great write up just did mine tonight, easy as pie

7. Maximus from the 915

Maximus from the 915 New Member

I went to the dealership yesterday and they wanted to charge me more than 7 bucks a quart for the ATF. The friction modifier was only 8. What the piss?!

8. Cygnus

Prices may have gone up since this thread was made. Also what I've noticed is each dealership varies in prices on the parts/products they sell.

My car is due again for a transmission flush/fluid change so I will see what the prices are here.

9. Cygnus

Prices have gone up on the Mopar fluids. Went to the dealership today to get the trans fluid and friction modifier.

Mopar ATF+4 $7.42 each
    Friction Modifier $7.67

Total w/tax: $32.03

Not bad :)

10. rtr0id

rtr0id Full Access Member

i paid $4.74 at walmart today for mopar aft+4

11. Cygnus

I am aware of some Walmarts carry the Mopar Fluids (tranny, coolant, etc) but not all do. Atleast not the Super Walmart by my house. I will be checking others though to see if they do. I'm sure its cheaper at Walmart... everything is :).