How much HP ?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by URToast, May 30, 2012.

1. URToast

URToast Freed Speak

Gotta 06 Magnum SRT8, with stock bottom end, tranny and half shafts. How far can you go without crunching noises? Wanna daily it but still have a little fun at the track.

2. claude9039u

claude9039u Full Access Member

Stage 2 or supercharger after that the real fun begins.

3. URToast

URToast Freed Speak

Thinking about a magnuson but that's only an additional 120 HP, is that all I get without blowin chunks?

4. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

how much do you want?

5. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Well, the saying is that you are ok up until about 500 rwhp, then it starts to get expensive, that is staying away from dragradials and stuff, first thing to break would be your halfshafts and then your tranny would fry, getting a new valvebody in time would save some money....
    But as Ralph said, how far do you want to go?

Fredrik:D

6. URToast

URToast Freed Speak

Is the rwhp about 385 on these SRT8's? If so then +120 should take me to 500. I though old man Ron (1bad4door) was pushing high 500 low 600 with stock shafts and tranny?

Wanna go as far as I can being relatively safe without spending a lot of cash. Half shafts and a valve body don't sound out of the budget but where would that take my limit to?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Install 09+ R/T axles and bearings. Speedlogix offers a kit priced well below what you can buy from a dealer. They are good to about 600+ RWHP.
    Tranny should be okay up to about 550RWHP as is, but you will be taking life away from it from slippage during shifts. To make it live longer and to have TCM tunability, look at the TranZformer electronic shift kit, and add the blue top solenoids to your VB. You can dial the shift pressure up so high it will rattle your teeth on upshift. Play with it and find the settings that are okay with you and your driving habits. You can always turn it off wit the ESP button.

8. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Yes, Ron still runs his tranny bone-stock, but he only uses the car on the street, beating hard on it but its the traction at the track that kills it, on the street you will only see loooooong black lines where Ron has been....
    His halfshafts, I don´t know, but I think they are stock.
    I would still suggest a valvebody or something to up the pressure in the box, Ron is today driving around with what could be called a "slushbox" but it has taken some serious beating over the last what, 65.000 miles???
    I have installed my new valvebody today but lack of the right trannyfluid (today is the Swedish national day, try buying something on the 4th of July...) so tomorrow will be a good day...

Fredrik:ilovesrtc:

9. samith

samith New Member

Considering a magnuson but that's only an extra 120 HP, is that all I get without blowin chunks

10. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

Some people have broken axles on stock setups.

You can blow your engine with a supercharger with just 5psi if your tune is shit.

11. luisv

luisv Blown HEMI Charger

Agreed... with a few comments above.

500HP to the wheels is the common discussed limit before you start worrying about rear end and half shafts. The 09+ rear ends (Getrag) can supposedly handle more.

As far as power adders, I can attest to another comment... if your tune is good, the car can take it for a while.... If your tune is bad... you'll destroy the engine with 5 lb of boost. I went with a Vortech blower on my 2010 SRT8 Charger. I love it. I went that route because I liked the idea of the centrifugal blower and letting me drive the car "normally" without getting on the boost. It is great for a daily driver. As far as the tune... I've got three. I have the Vortech canned tune which is what I use for every day driving. I have a "street" tune that is a bit leaner and gives me better throttle response. I use this when I take club cruises through twisties when we leave the state. The last is the track tune. Strictly for making passes at the drag strip. As far as longevity, I have the blower on the car for about 70K miles now. It still puts smile on my face. Never had any catastrophic failures.

As for figures.... My engine, stock, was 345 HP to the wheels. Vortech tune will dyno at about 460HP to the wheels. (these were in Miami at 95 degrees and 75% humidity) The track tune will net me 505 HP to the wheels. The better part, fuel mileage increase about 10% to allow me to get 23 MPG on the highway when the stock only got about 21 MPG. This is one of the benefits of the centrifugal blower. These figures translate to 12.25s on the 1/4 mile. 0-60 time is 4.3s. Not too chabby for a 4,100 lb sedan!