HoP Track Day at Wiilow Springs

Discussion in 'House of Power Racing' started by HoP Racing, May 4, 2008.

1. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Can I ask you guys a stupid question, and please feel free to refer me to another post or thread. I've never done a "track day" but reading about it and doing the SRT TE has really got me excited about it, how exactly does it work? I mean, I see this is a one day thing and it states 10 races but what exactly should I expect, how will the day go?? I'm seriously thinking about doing this, or something like it, but want to make sure it's what I'm thinking it is and to make sure I'm not getting in over my head, lol! Thanks guys!

BTW, $350 isn't that much, heck the Richard Petty Nacar thing is $400 for only 8 laps and the SRT TE is $500!! Sounds like a bargain for only $350.

2. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Well most track vendors all do the same thing. This one may be different and I'm not sure how Josh has this planned.

But, first thing in the morning, there will be a drivers meeting, basic rules and reg will be discussed. After that, the experianced guys will be released to thier respective run groups. All new guys will be required to attend a track orientation meeting that will show you the track lay-out/lines and basic driving do/don'ts and suggestions. Then all newbi's will be required to take a couple laps with a instructor at the wheel and then he will ride shot gun with ya for some personnal one on one stuff. After that, you'll be released for active duty.

Most track days will have more cars then this. So they will break them out into experiance levels. That way no one is tripping over the next guy. Even if your a first timer, after a couple run sessions, if you are fast and safe and both you and the vendor feel comfortable with your skill level, you will be allowed to advance up a level.

Run groups usually will be 10-20 minutes on the track. And most of the time, you'll get 5 or more during a day. The norm has been that as the day progresses, guys start burning out and leaving. In the afternoon, it's almost always an open track.

I have only ever run Willow during the middle of the week. I have never been on the track during a weekend and don't know how all the groups are scheduled. I may be wrong, but with such a small group, I'd have to assume that we will be sharing the track with other vendors and everyone will have their respective run tims.

Item to bring. A jack, tire pressure gage (they have air at the track, but it's a pita), spare rim/tires if you have them just incase, chairs, water and a small gas can and fluids. Also, become familiar with where to attach a tow strap to your car both front and back. That way, if you should need it, you can instruct those guys how to do it.

3. Cheatek

Thank you Cam, I really appreciate it! Sounds like with a smaller group it's much better. Couple last ques if you don't mind ... this may sound stupid but is there gas at the track and how does that work/cost? A place to lock up/store your personal belongings you take out of your car when you run? Also, I don't want to bang up my car, I'm assuming there's no bumping or such allowed/going on? Are you racing against one another or against the clock or just out for "fun" laps, hot laps? And do I need to buy/bring a helmet??

Sounds like just what I'm looking for, a little fun running my car round a track but not a major "racing" type event, I'm not bound for IndyCar anytime soon, lol! I might be very intersted in doing this depending on the date. Do you know if they ever do anything like this at Laguna Seca and where I could check for that??

Thanks again Cam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, that last line sounds a little ominous, hahaha, you speak from experience?? Lol!

4. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

There's gas but its expensive, there aren't any lockers, guys usually just pick a spot to park their car in the pit area and leave their stuff there. I know Meister used a locking system for his stuff, kind of reminiscent of a bicycle lock. And usually you're racing the clock/yourself on the track, not directly competing with the other guys. Whoever has the best laptimes wins. Guys who drive without respect for others usually get black flagged and sent home crying to mommy.

And yes, Cam knows from experience. :blink:

Also, dunno exactly how HoP is doing this, but the above have been my experiences with track days and Willow Springs.

5. Cam

hahahaha, ya that last line is from experiance :dumb:.

Hell the evic still said I had 10 liters left!!!.........turn 5 informed me otherwise. :whistle:

Helmets, yes!!. Check with the vendor or track but snell 05 or newer.

Belongings, no, there is no lock-up. But the guys that go to the track, hell we're all alike. So far, I have never seen or heard of any problems with theft.

Driving, hell no, no bumping, no rubbing fenders, matter of fact, if that occures, the guilty party is gone!. With our groups, all passing is completed only after a point by has been given by the guy in front of you. At Willow, depending on Vendor. Passing is only allowed on the front and back strech.

No one is racing heads up.........................well that's what we keep telling ourselves :grin:

It's all against the clock. Some vendors will provide at a cost timing equipment. A few of us have our own and if your serious about doing this and really want to gage your level. Buy your own. There is a some decent stuff for between 3-4 hundy. The best part is that when you have a lap timer, you can see what works best for you and what sucks hairy balls.

There are track days at all of the tracks. There is two ways to go about finding approved vendors. Contact the track you'd like to run and they can hook you up with a list. I'll get a list of links together later and post them.

6. Cheatek

THANK YOU VERY MUCH CAM AND TAM for all your input, I REALLY appreciate it! I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread and see what happens and see if I can join in.

Tam, which way did you go there (on 46 or 58 thru Bakersfield or over the Grapevine and around) and how long did it take you?

Thanx again guys, I love this place!!!!!! :worthy:

7. Cam

Oh hell no don't take the grapevine, come across 58 and then south on the 14 for like 10-15 miles and then west about 5 miles.

8. Cheatek

Yea, mapquest says to go over the grapevine and then around but I thought that was kinda dumb, seems 58 or even 46 would be better. Thanx again Cam!!!!!!!!

9. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Depending on when this will be held, you all just might get the honor of meeting 2 of the founding fathers of the Eastlake Queertette.

10. MotherMopar

Adam, if this all works out we should caravan.

11. Cheatek

That's it, I'm out! hahahhahahahahhhahaaaaaaaaa

12. MotherMopar

Oh hell no you don't! Rick and I already bought the Costco-sized tub of butt lube BECAUSE you may go!

13. Cheatek

I was gonna say that when we meet to remind me not to shake your hand but somehow that seems like that'll be the LEAST of my problems!! Lol!! All I know is that Chris will NEVER be the same after meeting you knuckleheads at the SF and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that!!!! hahahahhaa :surprise:

BTW, I'm sure you'll have no prob finding some other way to use that tub of lube ... in fact you already used it up didn't you??

14. HoP Racing

HoP Racing Mad Scientist

1. Josh aka. Hop Racing
    2. Chris aka Trojan
    3. Jim aka Hemi8tr
    4. Ken aka DadsSRT8
    5. David aka REZ-RACER
    6. Dan Realtor
    7.07norcalsrt8____?
    8. Cam
    9. 1fastsedan____?
    10. Scott

The date for the event is on the first page : 7/26/08

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  15. DanRealtor

DanRealtor New Member

Girly Men

Go ahead Girly Men, Talk all the smack you want: Wha, i went fast through some cones in a parking lot once (autocross) woo hoo.....

Springfest '06 I beat Meister, CButler and EVERY other LX Driver who showed up, first in a Jeep, then in my car.

I DRIFTED the autocross at this years El Toro Event.

I was the fastest LX at the CA Speedway Roval 12/2/07.

I have 94,000+ miles on my SRT-8 (lotsa experience)

I WILL Crush all comers!!!!

BTW: I fully expect Bud, Cam & probably several others to kick my ass with their faster cars this time. I figured I'd stir the pot til then.

Love you guys, see ya at the track!!!!

16. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Uh Dan. There were only 4 LXs there. So if you're using that math, I'm the 2nd or 3rd fastest LX...

Aren't you going to tell everybody how you got kicked out of the expert group that day for going too slow?

17. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Hehe....way to help stir the pot a bit more Adam!!! lol

18. DrBob

DrBob New Member

Of course there is the scenic route. If you are going east on the 58, take the THIRD Tehachapi offramp, Just after going over Main St, go EAST for about 1 mile to Tehachapi Willow Springs Road, turn right (only way you can) and spend the next 26 mile driving on a back country road to Rosamond Blvd. Then turn left for about 2 miles until you get to the track. Beats the hell out of the 14.

QUOTE=Cheatek;127287]Yea, mapquest says to go over the grapevine and then around but I thought that was kinda dumb, seems 58 or even 46 would be better. Thanx again Cam!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

19. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

This sounds like it'll be a blast just to spectate. Just wish there was a faster way to get to Willow. :doh:

20. HoP Racing

HoP Racing Mad Scientist

07norcalsrt8 and 1fastsedan are you two able to confirm for the track day?