HoP Track Day at Wiilow Springs

Discussion in 'House of Power Racing' started by HoP Racing, May 4, 2008.

1. HoP Racing

HoP Racing Mad Scientist

We will be holding a Track event at Willow Springs International Motorsports Park .

Available to all owning LXs, Chargers, and Jeeps.

Date: 7/26/08

Time : 8:00 AM

Cost : $350.00 per person (based on 10 racers).

Event Includes : Exclusive track rental, Driving Instructor, and Refreshments.

The instructor is a fellow owner of a 300C SRT8 that we recently Pedderized. He is very familiar with this platform and knows how much you can push it safely. In order for this to go off at $350 a head we need to have 10 racers minimum. IF we get more the price per person will go down accordingly. This will be a great experience for all, hope to see you there. Road Trip?

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. DanRealtor

DanRealtor New Member

Count me in

Count me in for Willow Springs. For those who haven't been there. it's among THE BEST tracks anywhere for an LX vehicle. Definitely worth a road trip for this one. We all stayed at the Best Western Antelope Valley the night before we ran. Great place, easy parking, on site bar/reastaurant. The track is big enough for our cars to run fast. All experience levels will enjoy this track. With 20 drivers the cost will be more affordable.

See you at the track.

3. JEEP_SRT8

JEEP_SRT8 Life is good!

did i see bar at the on site??? hmmm

4. Trojan

Trojan Trillions Bro! Right on!

You can count me in as well, I miss the big track and a day with 10-20 folks cant be beat. Once we get 10 or more names we will confirm the track day and lock this in. If you've never been road racing nows your chance to see/do what you've been missing.

5. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

If you can get some potential dates posted I will do my best to put my hat into the ring.. but between now and Sept I do have some planned out of town trips...

6. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

It's events like these this that (A). make me wish I was single and could afford it. Or (B) make me wish I was NOT in the Navy and could afford it. It must be nice to be able to take a couple days off and burn through some tires, brake pads, and fluids! This will be a freaking blast. I guess I'll have to wait until my next government funded driving school. LOL

7. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Dude, if you can do Willow Springs, you must!! I've been out there three times and I can't wait to go back out again and again and again. :happy:

[​IMG]

8. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Tamara - how much tires and brake pads will one typically go through at a day at the track. All my days at the track were at the expense of the govt at schools where we just drove....and maintained cars showed up every day! lol

9. 07norcalsrt8

07norcalsrt8 I'm So Screwed

I am interested also in this event.. I have never done a road course before and I am looking forward to actually driving on one...

10. ChargerGirl

Granted, I'm more conservative than most, but I never had to change brake pads or tires during or immediately following a day at Willow. You should check with cbutler, DanRealtor, Ozzie or MattRobertson though, as they're some of the gurus I look to for info. :happy:

11. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Well fellas???

12. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Bud, the deafening silence in response is due to the fact that it's virtually impossible to give even a guesstimate on what you're gonna go through. There are simply too many variables:

1. Type of existing brakes
    2. Brand of existing brakes
    3. Condition of existing brakes
    4. Type of existing tires
    5. Brand of existing tires
    6. Condition of existing tires
    7-15+. Type/brand/condition of supporting elements like suspension/sways/shocks etc.

Then add to the equation, as ChargerGirl alluded to, the individual driving style, and ... I think you can see the problem ....

The best approach is simply to make sure your ride is in good condition, all fluids checked, brake pads and tires both with plenty of meat on them, and just go for it.

But, for a rule of thumb, if you're doing Willow and you are aggressive, expect to beat up your tires (really beat up your left front tire) and perhaps need to replace your brake pads after the event.

13. ChargerGirl

As a rule of thumb, I take the car in for service before and after a track event, just to make sure everything's a-ok. The reason I don't try to speak from authority is that I've found that I don't tend to push the car as hard as most of the guys do.

The worst I've experienced is the need to rotate the tires midway thru the day, but since I've asked for a negative camber on the front tires when I get them aligned I don't have that issue so much. Also I put the car in limp mode on the front straight, but that turned out to be my right foot being faster than the transmission's brain and cleared up pretty quick. I do advise bringing extra oil and coolant with you, as those tend to get burned up first.

I've seen one guy have his steering crap out from overheating issues and I know Cam has had some issues as well.

Like Ozzie said it really is an individual thing.

That being said, its not guaranteed you'll have issues and since this is an LX event, odds are you'll have plenty of people there to help you out in a bind. :friends:

14. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Thanks folks....looks like I'll need to contract another driving school for us! Bondurant or Skip Barber, hmmmmm??? LOL

15. DanRealtor

DanRealtor New Member

Wear Items

Tires:

If you start with a set of usable tires (especially Proxes 4's) you'll finish with a set of usable tires. If you start with a set of "well worn" tires (especially GY F1's) you'll end up with bologna skins (but enough to drive home on).

Brakes:

If your brakes are decent to start with (not almost shot) you'll be fine. If your brakes are shot to start with, you'll wind up with corrugated rumble strips for rotors (makes your car into a vibrating massage chair).

Other than that? Check that all fluids are topped off (radiator should be not much over the low line) and make sure you remove every bit of loose personal property before running. Wear long pants & close toed shoes, and bring a helmet if you have one. Then, just show up and have fun. Everyone becomes a better driver by the end of the day, EVERYONE. It's a blast. Not to be missed.

16. Trojan

Trojan Trillions Bro! Right on!

Dans the man at the road course's. He leaves on bolonga skins everytime.:grin:

17. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Yep...thats why I wish had money to piss away! I would show you guys and gals REAL car control!!! :friends:

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  18. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

I would LOVE to see Rick go around a roadcourse totally balls-out with no tires to pay for afterwards. The SOB drives better on dirt and gravel than I do on the street... and I went through LE driving school.

I say this: all you rich bastards should provide a promisary note to Rick that if he burns his tires/brake pads out you'll pay 50% of the replacement costs and in return, you'll all learn how to drive via Rick's instruction.

So, instead of paying $1000's to go to a driving school, help Rick pay for whatever tires/brakes he MAY need afterwards and allow him to teach you to REALLY drive like a pro racecar driver. Fuck, the guy already has had offers for support to race rally cars (probably the most difficult driving there is).

Its a win-win situation!!!

BTW: I get to tag along for shits and giggles... I'll be taking bets on best lap times as well!

19. HoP Racing

HoP Racing Mad Scientist

The list for Willow. Please copy and add your name. I'll get with the instructor tomorrow and I'll set up a concrete date. Thankyou all.

1. Josh aka. Hop Racing
    2. Chris aka Trojan

20. HoP Racing

HoP Racing Mad Scientist

Ozzman, lets get your car ready for willow. Willow's not Willow without a crazy aussie.:grin: