hid fog problem. can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by Highbred8, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Highbred8

Highbred8 New Member

these are the same kit that a few others have and run pnp with no problems.

i hooked them up exactly like your supposed too, i reversed the wires in the plug, made sure the harness was plugged in securely, i let them burn in for 10 minutes etc etc.

first i plugged up the passenger side, turned it on and it worked, then plugged just the driver side turned it on and it worked, then plugged them both up and turned them on and they worked. so i let them run for 10 minutes like the directions say. after that i turned the car on with the fogs on and everything was fine, i turned the head lights on and its still fine. at this point im breathing a sigh of relief thinking i finally did it. wrong, turn the car off, turn it back on, turn the fogs on abd "ting" "no bus" message. WTF!!!!!!!.

heres what i figured out. i can unplug the driver one and turn the passenger side on without any problems, but if i only plug the driver side and turn it on i get the message. before the first time i get the message i can have both ballasts plugged up and they work fine, but once i get the message once thats it. its not a bad ballast, i ordered a new one and it does it too, i plugged the passenger one on the driver side and it didnt too but it worked fine on the passenger side. its not bad wiring because it did it before i flipped the wires and does it after also, but initially it worked.

this might just be a coincidence but, initially i had the driver ballast taped to the inside of the bumper and it worked fine but i couldnt turn them on with the car on or i would get the message, but it fell off so i secured it to a wiring harness. ever since then it wont work at all. today i had it just hanging there and it seemed to work, so i secured it to the harness again and then got the same problem. i cant say this somehow is part of the cause because i did try them with the car on for the first time right after that.

i really thought i had it this time. someone give me an idea, i just want my fog lights to work

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I am wondering if you need to upgrade to a 15 amp ballast? I had similar problems (no bus light though). Usually the lights come with a 10 amp ballast. These tend to be too little amperage, especially if there have been aftermarket electronics added.

You dilemma may be different though.

3. Highbred8

Highbred8 New Member

i would say maybe your right but i know of 4 other csrt's running the same ballasts without a problem, so i cant see why mine would need something different.

someone on the other forum brought up a good point. they mentioned having a similar problem. theirs was shorting out due to the factory harness having loose connections. they cut the harness off and made their own connections and problem fixed. since mine seems to be happening in correlation to the driver side ballast being hooked up and twice now right after i move it to mount it, im thinking this might be my issue.

ill mess with it tomorrow again. fucking hids.

4. aroojfatima

aroojfatima New Member

I am new to the side by side world too. I would like a to find a diesel one as well. The problem that I am finding is that nobody makes one that will keep up with the gas ones. I have been looking at the Intimidator web site, and I think one of these and a turbo retrofitted on would make a snappy*