Hey you guys getting Vortech S/Cs ...

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Cheatek, May 30, 2008.

1. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Jason, Drew, Ryan and anyone else getting a Vortech, any of you planning on getting your car dyno'd? Is Vortech gonna do it as part of the install and tuning? I'm really curious to see the numbers cause I'm still having a hard time believing they're getting 115 hp AT THE WHEELS from only 5 lbs. of boost. I know the cooler is good for hp by lowering the intake air temp and I know that tuning will add some hp too and I didn't check but maybe now Vortech is getting some big cfm numbers out of their basic blower also but still ... that's a whole hell of a lot of hp. In my experience in the past most 5 psi kits were worth 45-55 at the wheels and this is double that, that's a lot. And with our cars having a "speed density" system instead of a "mass air" system there are limitations too. Just wondering, any thoughts guys??

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

115 at the wheels may be stretching it... Those are probably Crank numbers???

I know that GSM has tuned a few of the ASM Vortech kits on 5 or 6 psi and saw big numbers, but these guys also had cam, P&P Heads, etc.. I believe the biggest HP was 570 at the wheels...

Either way, the gains will be much noticable and worth the money. IMO

3. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Well we will be doing before and after dyno's on the system we are putting on my car, and also do custom tuning at some point thereafter. In addition we will see what water meth does to help the cause...lots of stuff will be going on here at BMCP so stay tuned!
    We also have quite a few customers that have pre-ordered the new kits from us and hope to get some #'s from those guys as well..some are 5.7 some are 6.1L.

4. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Here's a quote from Vortech's website (http://vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=146&cat_key=25):

"For 6.1L (SRT8) vehicles. Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum and Charger. Increases HP from 425 to 558*, torque from 420 to 546*"

So...

425 - 558 = 133 crank HP

133 Chp x 14% drivetrain loss = 18.62 hp lost

558 Chp - 19 hp lost = 114 rwhp gain

5. MotherMopar

Also, Vortech has been using a mustang dyno... we should get something from them as far as charts, etc... but I don't know for sure.

6. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

Check out the brain on this short icked midget! You go tattoo........Shouldn't you be working:whistle:

7. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

whoops. wrong EQ whor'd thread.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  8. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yes, MoMo did a nice job, too bad Vortech is OFF on the drivetrain loss.. lol

it is more like 18% loss.. hehe Which is at the Wheels, not the Crank, so the Crank Loss is even MORE...

9. MotherMopar

Basically, I just reverse engineered those numbers to match the 114 that was claimed... no brain required.

If its at 18%, then the final rwhp gained should be 109.

10. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

I am thinking more like 75 rwhp but I wont know till its on :)

11. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yea, I was thinking around 85rwhp...

12. Cheatek

Thanks for all the replies guys, I was just wondering. John, Ron, that's more along the lines that I was thinking, 115 AT the wheels is an aweful lot for 5 psi.

Can I ask this ... does the original motor hp make a dif on how much more hp a 5 lbs blower will produce on that engine?? Meaning, Vortech is saying their 5 lbs. s/c on our stock motor of 425 horse will add 115 horse right? So if you took a stock Mustang GT with 300 horse and put that same 5 psi s/c on it will is make 115 hp?? No, right? It won't. You'd need like 8-10 psi right?? If that's the case then it seems we're already ahead of the game with our motors, woot!! :grin:

13. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

Im sure it depends on many factors...CI,CFM, fuel just to name a few...

14. Cheatek

I'm talking totally stock. Say our motor, 6.1 w/425 horse and a Mustang motor (what is it, 4.6??) with 300 horse, that 5 psi blower isn't gonna make 115 at the wheels on that Mustang is it??

15. Cheatek

To cool the intake air temp C. When a blower sucks in air it compresses it and heats it and then shoots it out into the motor. Bad. The heat that is, the water/meth thing is like that aftercooler thing, to cool the air ... I think, lol! Or is that in the combustion chamber to keep detonation down, can't remember now. I've heard of the water thing but not the meth thing, well in regards to cars that is, lol!

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  16. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I don't know for certain, but I think that would have something to do with HP/cubic inch.

Our HEMIs make about 1.15 HP/cubic inch of motor.
    A 4.6L motor making 300 HP is about 1.07 HP/cubic inch.

So if 5# makes 115 HP on the HEMI, it looks like it would make about 107 HP on the 4.6L. Doing the ratio with the HP/cubic inch already takes the compression ratios into account.

17. Cheatek

Hahahahha, "Honest officer, I need it for my car" :whistle:

18. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Lol! BTW, yes they have a Mustang dyno there at the shop and they will be tweaking it on theirs so the numbers might be a little lower than some of the other dyno shops. If we get 100 rwhp, I'll be more than happy.

19. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Ok...Since it was brought up for comparison a 4.6L 2 V Mustang GT can put down approx 380-400 to the wheels w an S Trim Vortech, larger injectors and fuel pump, bolt ons (headers/catback) and a good tune @ 8-9 PSI...keep in mind. We were getting 400 out of Lisa's Automatic when it was completely stock internals, longtube headers and exhaust, upgraded injectors and pump, no aftercooler, just water meth. Keep in mind the stock motor puts out 260 @ the motor.
    I realize our motors are a different animal..pushrod vs. SOHC etc etc. So we will have to see what we can do!
    As many have mentioned...SUpercharging is addictive! Once you have it you want more...Lisa started w an S Trim w/ 400 RWHP, and now has a fully built motor w/ a YSI Race Vortech which should be putting down north of 800 RWHP once tuned, so I fulley expect the same thing to happen to many people here lol!
    I will say this...a Mustang w the stock Vortech tune will not put those kind of #'s down...the tunes from Vortech are great but very conservative!

20. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

As far as Water Meth goes..I have a big draft I wrote up the other day...just need to finish it and post it, should help answer alot of ?'s