HELP! Took greddy bov off, installed stock surge valve and now only boosting 6 psi

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tshin, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Tshin

Tshin New Member

I was boosting around 20 psi, until I took off the greddy bov. Whats the odds that something like this would happen.

What gap should stage 3 be at? .35?

2. Tweeks SRT4

Tweeks SRT4 Full Access Member

I was told to have them gapped at .32 and use the Iridium plugs 1 step colder is what most of the Stage 3 guys in my club would run.

3. Paulie

Paulie New Member

Matt I personally would stay away from iridium plugs. I would go with the champion double platinum 1 step colder and set the gap at .035. I have seen a lot of these same guys having spark issues with iridium's even though they still swear by them.

4. Tweeks SRT4

I thought Platinum plugs were bad for turbo cars.

5. Paulie

Paulie New Member

that is what I have been running for a while now without a problem. I had problems with the iridiums myself.

6. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

You need to be careful....Platinum plugs are NOT recomended for turbo applications.

I personally use the stock Champion Coppers and they work incredibly well.

7. The ///Man

The ///Man ME>GOD!

NGK coppers, super cheap change them every other oil change. You can keep an eye on how your car is running and always have good plugs in. As for gap, every car will be different, but you want the most gap without blowout. I ran .35 on my s3 never had a problem, but I was only boosting 15psi since I wasn't on the s3 ecu. Like I said, you have to find out where your car likes it.

For you to only be running 6psi, there has to be something up with the vacuum lines or intake piping.

8. Tweeks SRT4

I'm running the NGK V-power 4306's gapped at .35 and don't seem to have any problems.

9. Paulie

Paulie New Member

now this is the first I have heard that platinum plugs were bad for turbo cars. why?

10. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

The regular Bosch single platinum plugs (which they may have revised in recent years) were notorious for breaking apart under boost in forced induction applications. The newer +4's are a little better design and should offer a longer service life since they have four ground electrodes to use up, but I'd still avoid them.

Basically, I have heard (but not experienced first hand thank god) the the platinums don't bade well with the incredibly high EGT's of forced induction.

I haven't heard anything about the Champion Platinums, but I would avoid them regardless.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  11. Paulie

Paulie New Member

I have known not to use Bosch plugs for anything for years, lol, always knew they were junk. I am using the Champion platinums without any problem. Have these been known to cause problems?

12. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

I edited my post, but no, I haven't heard anything about the champions. I personally won't use platinums, but whatever works good for you, by all means continue. The stocck champion coppers work extremely well in my car, and at only 10 bucks a set, are uber-cheap to replace.

13. Paulie

Paulie New Member

these are costing me $14 a set not too expensive and I have had some sucess with them. my car puked on iridiums but when I ran my 12.61 I had these in and even before I went S2 the car did run well with these. I didn't personally like the NGK's but yes I also ran good on the stockers as well. I am due for a tune up soon and think I will give the stockers another try and see how that goes.

14. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

I have used all the different combonations.....NGK iridiums, 4306's, one step colder..Champion iridiums.....jeez...

Turn out the stockers worked better then any of them. I was getting blow-out at .035 gap on all of the above plugs. With the Coppers, I have it at .038 and have zero blowout, even at 20 psi....

15. Paulie

Paulie New Member

good to know. I will give them a try and see how it runs. I am hopeing to run a little faster this year so I am up to giving them a try.

16. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

You can't go wrong for only ten bucks.

But remember, every car runs different on different plugs. I know plenty of people on SRTforums swear by the 4306's, but they were the worst plug I used.

17. Paulie

Paulie New Member

I know this for sure and the 4306's wern't ,my favorite either. and in my mustang I swear by autolites while others don't like them. I have seen a pattern for years though, the more expensive the plug the worse they were. :hmm:

18. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

:imao::imao:

I guess thats why the pulsestar plugs are junk...100 bucks a set....:no:

19. Paulie

Paulie New Member

my wallet will not open that far for me for a set of plugs, so I couldn't honestly tell you. I guess that is why I still own a Neon and not a Charger, Vette or Lambo for that matter :dunno2:

20. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

I also run the NGK Coppers. They work well. Just a FYI... MSD wires don't work on em. NGK plugs are shorter and fatter. I am currently trying to sell my brand new MSD wires, so if anyone is interested PM me. I ended up getting some Duralast 7mm wires from Autozone for $32 with tax. Why Duralast? Well, they have a lifetime warranty on them. So if they ever go bad, I can bring them in for a new set for FREE. lmao. I have the coil pack heatshield, so I am not worried about them melting. If they do, oh well. Still have the Accels in teh trunk.