Help a F/I rooke! I have questions! (Nitrous)

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRTLUVR, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

Alright. After spending the past few days talking with Andy from PWR and Eddie from SHR, I just don't have the cash for a blower. :( And I wanted that shit to happen BAD!! Major, MAJOR Bummer......I just need that money to go in other directions right now.

So can some of the Nitrous experts help a brotha out?? I know I can get a Zex "Black" kit shipped to my door, with everything I need for under $750. And one of the guys in my local Mopar club can help me install it no problem, he did a KILLER job on his own personal install on his '09 SRT Chally. So I'm not worried about any of that.

However. What about fuel delivery, will I need a BAP, like I would've needed for a blower? Bigger than stock fuel rails? What about injectors, I currently have 50lb?? Tuning, is it difficult? I have a 10.3CR 426, can she handle a 175 shot? How much does it typically cost to fill the bottle? Does Nitrous "go bad" per se, the car will sit for weeks at a time between uses? What else do I need to know?

Scott, where you at homie?! MAJOR :thanks: in advance, peeps. :worthy:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

i am sure scott and robsrt will chime in soon........

not to get too far ahead of myself, but i am considering doing a little of the giggle juice once i install one of andy's forged motors....hehehehehehe figure some spray on top of my blower putting out 10+ psi ought to be fun, even on a little 6.1!!!

btw - i have to ask chase...... you actually going to run this thing down a track more than on a rare occasion?? lol

3. robsrt

robsrt Movin on

Nitrous is actually pretty straight forward. Tuning is a lot easier than the supercharger. Basically, you'll be able to use your NA tune with a little bit of timing pulled depending on the shot you're running. I ran a 175 shot on a stock block with no timing pulled. You should have no problem on a forged bottom end. Hell, a 300 shot lasted eight passes on the stock motor.n

Tuning is as easy as changine jets. I ran 83N 35F for my 175 shot. I went 10.8's on a completely stock motor. I would upgrade your fuel line and that should be enough. I would also run some race fuel in it when you do spray.

Don't let bottle pressure get over 1100 or the Zex box won't work. I would run it off the throttle. This way it will only hit if the button is on and the car is floored.

Honestly, I'm not sure if nitrous goes bad or not. I usually fill up right before the track and run the bottles dry. When the nitrous is done, I go home. Just no fun running NA after you've run spray. You should easily be able to run deep into the 10's with a 175 shot.

4. SRTLUVR

So just as a "general" question Rob.....with my current tune, and as knowledgeable as Johan is.....does it sound "feasable" that I could send him my current tune (that he perfected anyway), and he'd be able to send me a "175 shot Nitrous" tune?? I would think it would be more complex than that, but......thoughts???

And what does 83N 35F mean??? (sorry, I'm really stupid)

And lastly, to answer Chris' question. Is this even worth my while if I don't track the car on a semi-regular basis??? Will it be any fun around town/interstate after I've left a dig?? Maybe I need more advice here......????

5. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

be honest with you chase, i really do not see you getting to really enjoy the full extent of any kind of nitrous addition on city streets. one, you will just blow off the tires (i am assuming you will be running your street wheel/tires), two - you will likely not have very many places you can open the beast up to feel the power, legally anyway. i see spray as something for running at a track. this is not fast and furious where you just hit the magic button and suddenly hit warp drive.

now..... if you start getting serious and want to hit the track more, than hell yes, do it!!!

6. SRTLUVR

I feel ya man......I just didn't have the $10K to do the supercharger build "right." And if I can't do it right, I'm not gonna do it at all. Plus I could use that cash to pay down some debt. So I thought if I could get the Nitrous "done" for $1000-$1500, I'd pull the trigger.....figured it might be fun to embarass some BMW, Porsche, Mercedes on the interstate where I could open up the N2O!!?? But I see where you're coming from.

I just don't make the time to hit the track often enough......:(

7. robsrt

robsrt Movin on

All you need to do is pull timing using the predator. There's no need to send the tune to Johan. You can pull timing yourself. Just make sure you pull timing in all rpm ranges. I would start by pulling about 4 degrees. I didn't pull any, but I always had race gas in it when I sprayed.

83N is the nitrous jet size and 35F is the fuel jet size. You tune the nitrous by changing the jets. For example, if you're too lean you put in a bigger fuel jet.

I wouldn't spray more than a 150 shot on the street. You won't always have high enough octane gas or timing pulled. Of course, you'll want a remote bottle opener. That way you could hit a switch and open your bottle when needed. You don't want to leave the bottle always open.

8. SRTLUVR

Yeah, I'm thinking of backing down to a 125 shot, if I end up doing this....If I run a 125 shot, would I need to worry about pulling timing??

Does the kit come with a few different size jets? Or is this something I have to buy more of, separately, like pulleys on a blower??

And I don't have any A/F gauges either, nor a wideband. So I won't know if I'm too rich or lean without either of those, huh??

And I won't run race fuel, she'd be on 93 pump gas regularly....

Hmmmmm.....this is new territory for me. Thanks a ton Rob!!!

9. SRTLUVR

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  10. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Dang Chase......

[​IMG]

11. SRTLUVR

YEAH YEAH YEAH, LARRY!!!! LMAO!!!! I just can't swing the $10K (well I could, but I'm choosing to pay off debt, instead) right now, to do a ProCharger. :angry: So this could get the win.....POSSIBLY. Still need to gather more expertise and info.....

12. SRTLUVR

And how "long" does a "shot" last?? 5 seconds?? 10 seconds?? Not sure how this works, either??..........sorry in advance for being a jackass......

13. FlyByU

FlyByU Vroom vroom

First things first, careful with nitrous, it is very addictive :)

That being said, its really not like you see on TV, you have to prep to use it properly. Unless you plan on using the nitrous ahead of time, you wouldnt be able to use it effectively on the street at a moments notice. For nitrous to be effective, your bottle pressure must be around 950-1000 psi. This will not be the case on a bottle just sitting in your trunk unless its the dead of summer. Normally it takes about 20 mins to get a fresh bottle up to pressure and would require a pressure regulated heater to maintain that pressure throughout its use.

Now I do see you live in AL so maybe your bottle will be at a high pressure just sitting in your trunk during the summer but not so during the rest of the year. Keep in mind that normally you would keep your bottle vavle closed until ready to use. So you could use a remote bottle opener but its really just not practicle to think you are gonna see a car you want to race on the street, remote open the bottle, check bottle pressure, heat up bottle if necesarry, put your nitrous tune in and then race them :)

Now if you are in the mood, prep ahead of time and you are good to go. Its really a track mod IMO. Just trying to be honest. I havent used my nitrous on the street in 3 years. The first year I had the setup I used it just cuz it was a fad and a novelty. Now its a little more serious.

All the technical stuff is easy, we'll get you were you need to be in a jiffy. There is no reason you cant run huge amounts of nitrous in your forged 426. Baby steps and you'll get there. Its not hard to tune just need to work your way up to the bigger shots to make sure all is setup properly.

Get a wideband before you install the nitrous. Takes away the temptation :)

14. FlyByU

FlyByU Vroom vroom

You should be able to get 6 passed on a 100 shot. Now thats 6 1/4 mile passes. Not sure how long you could just spray continiously on a 100 shot but I remember seeing a chart online that broke it down that way. Ill search around for it.

175 shot will be money on your motor. Do you have a built tranny? If you dont, invest in a nice progressive controller/window switch. That will allow you to disable the nitrous during your shifts and keep from damaging your tranny. Anything above 550 rwhp and you will have tranny issues.

15. FlyByU

FlyByU Vroom vroom

16. FlyByU

FlyByU Vroom vroom

17. SRTLUVR

THANKS DAN!!!!!! Yes, I have a built SHR tranny, so it's all good. My car is "built" to take some forced induction. Axles, quaife, etc. But it sounds like I'll just hold off on Nitrous, based off your advice. I just don't hit the track often enough. I really wanted something for the street.

Hey Dan, I REALLY appreciate you poppin in on this thread and helping me out. I'm headed off to work right now, I'll read those FAQ's when I get home tonight. The advice and insight is HIGHLY APPRECIATED bro!!!! :rockon:

18. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Just wait for the blower duuuude...you'll be better off lol

I doubt you'll be able to use it how you want it when you want it anyways like big D said. So even if you gotta wait a bit, you are probably just better off holding off.

Plus, if you think the juice is addictive...throw a blower on your car and hit the gas...THAT is addictive lol

You could always get a nitrous cooler and set it up to have a purge so you can scare people LOL

19. robsrt

robsrt Movin on

You won't need to pull timing on a 125 shot. The Zex kit will come with the proper jets for up to 125. If you want to go bigger, you'll need to buy more jets. Just use what they recommend and you'll be safe. They always set them up rich.

You should have an a/f gauge. That being said, I've never used one. I just tuned to how the car felt. I know. Not the best way to tune.

You'll be very safe with the 125. However, I will caution you that it is very addicting. When I bought my kit, I put the 100 jets in. I hit it twice on the street. Pulled in the garage and put the 125 jets in. Then I was spraying 150 and then went 10's on a 175 shot. Now I have a direct port and spraying a 300 shot.

On the 125, it is not going to be Fast and Furious like. Just a nice little burst of acceleration. At 175, it starts to get interesting. On the 300, look the f out.

20. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

You will be fine with a 125 shot. Just run the recommended jet size from Zex

Nice kit for sure. IMO You can do without the remote bottle opener

Says the guy stuck in the 12's ..:p

Figure a 1/4 mile at a time. If it were Larrys truck,About 14 seconds. Your Charger figure 11.0 ;)

Yup what he said^^ Not much I can add here except I see where Andy suggested a BAP. Im going to disagree and say anything up to a 175 shot
    you will NOT need the BAP Anything above a 175 you should be running a D/P set up and that requires a separate fuel system anyways.