Head and Cams Tech Thread

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Mains, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

I am Starting this thread to build up a database of information on the technology behind head work and cam profile. Please ask questions in this thread, and lets start building up this knowledge base.

Thanks

2. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

Does anyone know what 2.0l cams can be used on an SRT-4?

Also any gains or benefits from them?

Seems a few go this route but I would like to have some insight on this.

3. Goats

Goats God of skittles

yes u can use them but i dont know the gains though

4. Cygnus

Do you know out of which years? I know they are the 2.0l DOHC cams out of the Neon but don't know the years.

5. Goats

Goats God of skittles

i would have to find out

6. SRT4Does12s

SRT4Does12s New Member

i have "heard" cant confirm any truth behind this, but the 2.0 cams are almost the same lift and duration of the brian crower stage 2 cams..

7. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

from everything I have read the cams do work and are a goodish mod to the srt-4. The gains are supposed to be fairly noticable with adjustable timing gears to degree them in just right. HOWEVER I am hearing EGTs go through the roof in most cases.

8. Dysphagia

Dysphagia Full Access Member

from inspecting dsmtuners, the best i can deduce is that the 2.0 intake is the same and the exhaust only has a higher duration, in some cases causing dreaded overlap

9. Cygnus

I've heard adjustable came gears is a MUST for the 2.0l cams.

I was thinking of a getting an EGT Gauge in the future just to monitor that aspect of the car. If the 2.0l cams raise the EGT's then I would suggest an EGT gauge first as must have before the 2.0l cams. It's good to mod but safe modding is even better.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  10. Paulie

Paulie New Member

I have a question about a head. what is the diffrence besides valves and such between a 2.4 turbo head and non turbo head. I have a chance to pick up a non turbo block and head for $50 and am thinking of doing so and port the head. also can anyone tell me what the diffrence in the block is?

11. HAVOKSRT4

HAVOKSRT4 Noob

Yo Jesus, I knew one person that had those, along with gears. He said it helped out pretty nicely... I remember him stating that they have more lift than srt4 cams. Also, he was s1 with bolt ons and he said that you wouldn't want to run them on a bigger turbo. So, for you on your car, yeah. On cheryl's, No.

Also, I don't know if your set on the cams for her car yet.... but I wouldn't do the Crane 14's. Any other cams you will be considering?

12. HAVOKSRT4

HAVOKSRT4 Noob

Hey Paulie,

Nice times considering your mods. I know 50 trims that don't run that quick.

13. Paulie

Paulie New Member

14. SharaDon

SharaDon Supporting Vendor

That is a fairly open question. This thread will end up with many pages. There is a lot that goes into head development. With just as much black magic that goes into cam selection. I'll be suprised if there isn't an argument or 2 along the way. LOL

15. rasp

rasp clutch woe king

I run 2.0l cams, that came out of a 1995 Neon R/T. Here are some of my impressions.

When set to 0/0, I noticed more torque, but horsepower decreased by about 8.

When set to +2/-2, torque was increased more, and horsepower was down a ways still.

Now they're set at +1/-4 and this is bar none, the best setting for my big turbo setup. Spool begins sooner than before and the cams take it all the way to 6,500 rpms. Head is ported, too, btw.

Here's a video of them tuned and how they sound: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCCkOLe7wD8[/media]

People ask, "Why don't you make them lope more?" I had them loping before just for shits 'n giggles but people know that lope on a 4 cylinder = rice; especially if you actually tune it in. Well tuned smaller cams aren't going to lope at all if you have them set properly. If you want a reduction in power and a "cool" sound, go ahead and adjust the cams so they lope.

16. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

Yeah it will, after a while I will go through it and create a knowledge db of the information. I have done threads like this before with GREAT results. Sure a few speedbumps along the way LOL

17. HAVOKSRT4

HAVOKSRT4 Noob

Lobe on a 4 cylinder is not rice gotta disagree with ya, but you need to tune them for your car and whatever your mods are. Maybe you were on a budget, or maybe something else, but I wouldn't of picked those cams if I was big turbo. With other cam/cam gears/ tune you probably could of picked up a ton more power. If it's gonna take the amount of hours and time to get that car running perfect with cams and cam gears installed.... it's gonna cost money. My man Mike from LoCustom said that it would probably take about 8 hours to install cams/cam gears/tune and that's being quick. 8 hours times the amount he charges is not worth playing around with some half ass shit cams. Sorry just my opinion and I am in no way trying to start and argument, but it's ok to disagree, right?

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/j-srt4/?action=view&current=newpics005.flv

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  18. rasp

rasp clutch woe king

First it's lope, not lobe.

Lope = less power; lope = rice.

I was no on a budget. I can swap cams in 3 hours; I wanted to give them a shot since they're all the rave for a cheap upgrade.

8 hours for a "quick" cam job? Tell your "man" it takes about that much to pull a motor out and put it back in. As for the tune, the settings on these are pretty universal. 2.0l cams actually benefit bigger turbos more than smaller turbos. Another thing you're wrong about.

Learn how to do some work yourself, and it's not a waste of money. Get details before you start talking out of your ass, guy, and for god's sake, learn how cams work and how tuning works before you start spouting off crap, too!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  19. rasp

rasp clutch woe king

You can make factory cams sound like that if you adjust the cam gears in the wrong direction, lol. I'm not sure what you're proving with that video.

20. HAVOKSRT4

HAVOKSRT4 Noob

Slow down bro...
    Tell your "man" it takes about that much to pull a motor out and put it back in.
    ^^ You lost all validity right there. Your response is just plain mean bro, it's not a disagreement. Like learn how to do some work myself.... Dude, are you serious? I'm sorry to dis on your cams, it's just matter of opinion, that's all. :bang: Don't get all but hurt.