Have you guys seen this new Strut Tower Brace!

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by diegochrysler, Mar 25, 2008.

1. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

I'm not sure if this was already talked about over here. I was on another forum and saw this. I think this one is better looking then the DC, but don't know which one works better!

http://razorsedgemotorsports.com/raeddochstto.html

It cost around $285 or $295

2. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

I think it looks really good. They probably work about the same. This one will probably accomodate the car a bit better for spacers. But...to play devils advocate....sways are going to be a much better bang for the buck wrt performance. Even with the cost of installation (IMO).

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

So I can see where it bolts to the top of the strut towers but what in the world is that bar bolted to that runs along the firewall? I'd think that design would require that rear bar to be REALLY stiff to equal one going straight across between the strut towers. Think about the top of one strut tower moving towards the other. The effect would be to try to bow that rear bar... Not sure if I like the aesthetics either. Kind of the same visuals as having a big ole roll cage in the car. On the other hand, IF the DC gets in the way, it looks like it will work just fine with your Tein, in-the-cabin, damper control motors.

4. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

I have been in touch with this company being they are 10 minutes from the house.
    The bar is madef rom 4340 chromoly and very light as well as strong.The bar replaces the factory strut or cross over bar if you will.Very nicley made and easy to
    get powder coated as well.It comes in a wrinkle black color finish..Some have purchased it already and really like it..
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=104450&page=4

5. BOSChargerSRT

BOSChargerSRT Full Access Member

i ordered mine already, but mine will get done with the next batch. i didn't want the wrinkle effect, so they'll be sending mine by the end of next week and the word is that the rear will be ready. they'll have 2 versions for the rear, a straight bar and a 4 points mounting. i'm ordering the 4 for the rear. it mounts to the top of your struts and to the trunk floor. later - jimmy

6. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Visually i like my DC Sports STB...but functionally i think this one takes the win here...especially for guys with chargers who have to cut the crap out of their heat shield to get the DC to fit or guys with the spacers who have little to no clearance with the DC...

7. diegochrysler

I like this one better JIMBO! I'm going to have to look into getting this one. I believe this one is cheaper than the DC!

What do you mean wrinkle effect? Where is it on the STB?

Ryan.

8. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Too expensive and not as pretty as the DC Sports bar. However, no clearance issues with any kind of intake spacer or something like ... the I-Charger!

9. Quick

I think I paid $214 shipped for the DC.

Wrinkle effect PAINT.

10. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

I have always wondered what benefit there is to a strut tower brace, when we don't have struts to begin with. The "strut tower" on our cars isn't the stressed point, and isn't the center of location of any potential flex. That, along with the fact that we have a factory brace across the front of the car makes me wonder how much flex we have to eliminate.

I'd be curious to see someone place some modelling clay in the gap between the front fender and the hood, then do some agressive driving to see how smashed the clay gets, in order to measure how much flex exists to even eliminate.

(But what do I know - I only go fast straight.) :what:

11. Cheatek

No Ryan, it's way more than the DC bar. Quick's about right, I paid $179 for mine plus shipping, that's 100 bucks less! Only thing is Lisa at BMC said DC stopped making it so you can't get it right now. However I believe she said someone else is going to start making them again soon. Have to check with her to be sure.

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

yeah i think she said shes just waiting to get the next shipment in...

you can get them from Lisa for under $200 i think :happy:

13. Cheatek

i just checked, I paid $189 for mine when I got it last year. HHP had them for $185. Ryan, that's $100 LESS than that other bar! You like that one that much??

14. diegochrysler

I can't imagine the STB not helping! IMO it comes down to $. Do you want to spend the money for looks, function or hopefully both. Our cars don't come with several things, that we as SRT owner's add/change.

I would be interested to learn the outcome of the clay test if anyone did it. I'm sure it would sway some people to not buy or buy the STB. If you don't like going fast straight or any other direction, then WHY THE HELL DO YOU OWN AN SRT!

JMatt what is the latest on the fronts for your CO system?

15. diegochrysler

I like the look better, but not that much better. The STB is on my second list of mods to do. I saw this other one and thought I would see what people thought.................................I could use that money somewhere else.

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

if you dont have any clearance issues (with a spacer or gonna I charge that beyotch) and its purely a $$ thing...i'd say your good w/ the DC since you have a 300...just slap that bad boy on and go...takes a grand total of about 4 mins if you have issues lol

17. Cheatek

or a maggie ... hehe ... only the Chargers have problems with the DC bar (sorry Stevo :sorry:)

18. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

Oh I like going fast straight! LOL Everyone knows that. I don't think a STB does me any good at the dragstrip. I don't KNOW if it does/doesn't do any good at the roadcourse.

And on the coilovers: I harass them regularly to get me the prototype fronts. As you can imagine, I'm just not exactly their "front burner" project. It'll happen - there's even a part number for the fronts already. They just don't exist yet.

19. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

I think that the only way to justify the additional costs would be with additional rigidity (performance) of this 'new' STB. The only way to measure that, would be the clay test mentioned.

Who's gonna go first?!?!

20. Quick

I think it might. You know how when they bring the front wheels off the ground one is always higher than the other? and when you jack up one corner that your doors tend to bind? I'd think the more rigid your body and frame are the more evenly you could could get traction to the rear corners. If everything is flopping around, not so much.