Gas Guzzler Tax on SRT?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stingray, Dec 19, 2012.

1. stingray

stingray stingray

Is there that much of a difference in gas mileage between the Challenger R/T and SRT to warrant that $1,000 gas guzzler fee on SRT and not R/T?
    I thought both cars were very very close in gas mileage?

I heard between the SXT Challenger and R/T Challenger there is not much difference in gas mileage and pricing depending on options (order one from factory) so most people will go for the R/T instead of SXT.

Is SXT Challenger a better daily driver, more comfortable to drive on everyday roads, and more reliable than the other 2 Challenger models?

2. Rec 26

Rec 26 ...a tremor in the MOPAR

El Paso, TX via Centereach, NY Vieques, PR and San
    You only paid $1,000 for the gas guzzler tax? Mine was $2100 back in '06. As for which one is better... SRT in a heart beat. Gas mileage wise... yeah you want the V6. On the '08 - '10 LX/LY bodies mpg wise there wasn't that much difference in mpg between the 3.5 V6 and the 5.7L HEMI. From what the guys that have actually upgraded from the V6 to the R/T tell me the only real difference they noticed was in torque and hp. mpg was pretty much the same. As for the 3.6L... I don't know yet.

Personally... (and I've been saying this since I've owned my SRT for literally less than a minute...) You don't own a SRT and worry about gas prices.

3. stingray

stingray stingray

:usflag:yes why settle for less. I do see a whole lot more SXT and R/T Challengers on the road Not many SRT 8 Challengers.:erm:

4. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Technically there could be only 1 MPG difference between the two, and one could be a "Gas Guzzler" and one not. The government has decided if your car doesn't get x MPG then it is a gas guzzler so they are going to tax you for it.

I don't know what that number is, but just to make it easy say it is 20 MPG, if the SRT8 get 19, and the RT gets 20, there you have it. But, like Rec said, you don't buy an SRT for MPG...unless you get the 4, LoL! :bigwink:

5. stingray

stingray stingray

So it's a numbers game could be just 1 mpg difference but then you must pay that for the SRT.

I thought perhaps the differences in MPG between the R/T and SRT maybe significant maybe 2 or 3 MPG difference for them to add that kind of TAX:getlost:
    392 vs. 346.

6. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Yup, it's just a numbers game. I don't know what the actual MPG differnce is between the two, but obviously per the Federal Governments standards, the SRT doesn't play as nicely as the R/T does.

7. stingray

stingray stingray

I have heard that between the SXT and R/T Challengers there isn't much difference in gas mileage so most people will go for the low option R/T Challenger vs. the SXT or highly optioned SXT.
    Not sure what the numbers are on the 6 spd. manual trans for R/T and SRT?

SXT 18-27 mpg? Available in automatic trans only V/6 2.65 or 3.08?
    R/T 15-23 mpg? 3.73 or 3.92?
    SRT 12-22 mpg? 3.92 rear end only

Not sure which rear end ratio they are basing figures on road tests for for R/T 3.73 rear end or 3.92
    SXT 2.65 or 3.08 rear end?

8. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Yeah, I just paid that $1,000 tax.....I dont think the 6sp has it added...just the auto...bad thing is the cars will actually get better than what the sticker says....

9. stingray

stingray stingray

What kind of mileage do you get? Which model do you have?

10. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I just bought a 2013 SRT....only 200 miles on it so cant really give an accurate mpg.........I do know the 1st generation SRTs would get 23mpg highway.....seems like they were rated at 19...

11. stingray

stingray stingray

Now that's on a 6 spd. manual. I have heard to avoid any automatics with that MDS feature as they are blowing off their timing chains.
    What's your rpm's at 55 mph in 6th and or at 75 mph?

12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I havent read about any timing chains coming off....the 392 has had MDS since 2011 and also comes in the Charger & 300....my car is the 5spd auto.....seems like rpm is around 2200 at 75 but not sure...really havent paid attention...gas mileage was not a consideration for me...

13. stingray

stingray stingray

pERHAPS it was the 5.7 R/T in automatic with MDS blowing their timing chains?

14. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Not heard anything about that.....lot of 5.7s around with 200K+ miles....my brother put 140K on his 2006 Charger 5.7.....never had any engine issues....still ran like new when he traded it last year for a 2012 Charger SRT.....

15. stingray

stingray stingray

i don't like charger. But the 1968 charger is the favorite here,, ,..those new chargers seem like honda accords and you see them everywhere.

16. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I like the new charger....has some of the 1970 lines in it.....I see chargers around here often but not like Honda Accords & Civics....about every 5th car is a Honda....and Mustangs are everywhere..

17. stingray

stingray stingray

I test drove a 2013 Mustang GT with 6 spd. manual 3.31 rear end no trac pac option still kinda bumpy ride due to that suspension price was $38,000
    The 2012 Mustang GT 6spd. manual I test drove with trac pac and 3.73 rear end was scary fast for $42,000.

I do like those new LED lights on the Charger rear end.

18. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

19. stingray

stingray stingray

20. stingray

stingray stingray

it says the SRT 8 comes with RSA Good year tires? Aren't these tires speed limited to 118 mph? Whatever but the car can out do these lower speed rated tires.