Fuel issues cause and effect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crock, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Crock

Crock Communication

I have a restomod and I know with our engine it requires 60 psi to function well I have been having fuel issues for a while now so my solution is going to be bigger fuel rails, and fuel pump that pump 85 psi. My question is what would be the effect of this change does anyone know what would happen if I keep 85 psi on the fuel rails instead of 60? Right now I have notice at high rpm I loss pressure on the fuel rail so that's the reason I want to add more pressure to the fuel rails. 2.) Im looking at fuel lines does anyone know the difference between -4 an, -6 an, -8 an, -10 an, -12 an?

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

What kind of engine work do you have? Mods?

If you don't have any major power adders, then you have something else going on. More fuel won't fix it.

Have you tried cmr tuning? Data logging could help identify the issue as well.

3. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

If you are losing pressure at high RPM's it most likly is not that you need more pressure but that you need more volume. The fule line can't keep up with the volume the injectors need. What size line are you running know?

AN tubing info: rubber line with stainless steel cover
    -3 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 0.140 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 0.375 in.
    -4 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 0.218 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 0.438 in.
    -6 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 0.343 in Hose Outside Diameter (in): 0.547 in.
    -8 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 0.438 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 0.641 in
    -10 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 0.563 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 0.797 in.
    -12 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 0.690 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 0.940 in.
    -16 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 0.875 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 1.125 in.
    -20 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 1.125 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 1.437 in.
    -24 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 1.340 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 1.703 in.
    -28 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 1.500 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 1.828 in.
    -32 AN Hose Inside Diameter (in): 1.750 in. Hose Outside Diameter (in): 2.125

4. Crock

Crock Communication

Engine mods ported/polished heads, intake, inertia srt max cam, sop underdrive pulley, long tube headers, inertia tune my pcm. Sent a couple data logs also

Fuel lines are 5/16 and stock fuel rails. Also notice show and performance carrys fuel rails are they large than stock or just for show quality.

5. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

They are larger then stock but my bet is that it's not the rails but the main line itself.

6. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

It does sound like you're running out of volume. What fuel pump are you running? I have a -6 AN fuel line with aftermarket rails and it supports a 10 PSI blown heads/cam 6.1L. The stock fuel line wasn't able to keep up.

7. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

5/16 line is more than plenty to support that motor at 60psi. Make sure your pump can handle the volume. Also make sure that if you have rubber hose connections that they are rated for the pressure and you have no kinks in the steel or rubber lines. A 190LPH pump at 59 psi will supply plenty of fuel.

8. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

You could narrow it down a lot by measuring pressure right at the pump. Can you move your gauge?

9. Crock

Crock Communication

Thanks everyone I replace the fuel line with the Aeroquip Performance Hose and now pressure is steady at 60 psi. I still thinking going to get the fuel rails for show purposes.

10. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Happy to hear you got it handled. What size line did you end up using?

11. Crock

Crock Communication

Yes i can I going to try this thank you great ideas i didn't think about this. People today i found out i still have a problem now while idling it does great reeving still good to go even up to 6000 rpm. It keeps 60 psi at all time. Today when data logging i stage the car up to about 2600 rpm and left at 4000 rpm it started busting out again. During this process i don't know if it keep the pressure then but any ideas. Fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, all have been changed. The fuel pump is a mallory inline fuel pump fuel flow rate 211 lph / max pressure 60psi / 55gph/ part # MAA-4193FI after the fuel pump I have a fuel filter regulator part # GF822. The fuel rails are stock and injectors are stock.

Codes I found
    U0155 unknown
    P0463 fuel level sensor circuit high voltage.
    P0443 evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit
    P0517
    P0073 ambient air temperature sensor circuit high input
    P0058 HO2S heater circuit high voltage bank 2 sensor 2
    P0038 HO2S heater circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2
    P0480 Cooling fan relay 1 control circuit
    P0499 evaporative emission system vent control circuit high

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  12. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

What fuel tank are you running?
    Is it baffled?
    Is it the same result when full versus 1/2 tank?

13. Crock

Crock Communication

It's the stock tank. I have a 66 belvedere the original tank had a lot of rust so i replaced it with a new tank this was way before the engine swap and everything else. 5/16 or 3/8 sending unit that came stock with the cars of this year. 3/8 for big blocks, hemi, 360 and 340. 5/16 for 318 and slant 6. I had the slant 6 but when replacing everything i put a 3/8 sending unit into it.

Baffled it's not.

Yes it does the same thing if the tank is completely full or below half it doesn't matter.

14. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics