failure to launch

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by Buck70, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Buck70

Buck70 old fart

Our SRT6 has developed an intermittent failure to accelerate, but ONLY
    at highway speeds. It never fails to respond at all other speeds and sometimes gets a little goosey on cruise control tip ins. I have doubts that it is the more common intercooler pump failure, since it works fine through the same RPM ranges at lower speeds, and only seldom fails to respond at hwy speed. I have heard others say when the pump fails it's always sluggish.

I suspect a failing TB motor and have seen some buzz about that on MB forums. Any trends and diagnosis suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dale B
    Still lurking and learnin

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Hey Dale, good to see you are still around.

When did you get an SRT6? Lucky bastage. haha

3. Buck70

Buck70 old fart

sluggish

Hey Ron
    We bought this car a couple years ago, it's the one I took to Memphis SRT Nats and ran a 13.007 bone stock got a 1.6xx on that run on a fresh coat of VHT I couldn't pass it up when it dropped to 31K brand new

40K trouble free miles hope someone on here has a way to narrow it down for me since dealers are in the dark on these rockets

Dale

4. BlownHemi

BlownHemi It feels good to be blown

HA! dealers are in the dark on just about everything. Hate to link to another forum (it's not nearly as good as this one though) but there may be some help for ya there www.chryslerforum.com GLwith the fix

5. Buck70

Buck70 old fart

nuther bad dealer episode

I took it to Jim Clark Motors in Lawrence KS for diagnosis $120
    They wanted to "change the IAT and both air filters, since it had a voltage too high code from the IAT" and they claimed " the filters were nearly clogged." " That will be $400"
    BS
    it's a $12 IAT and $25 filters in the aftermarket.

The part that had me just pay the diagnosis and do the rest myself was that I knew the filters were good since I change them myself and the comment that " We will start with the $400 job, see if that works and then just go from there." I didn't have the extra bowl of stupid that day, so I left.

I changed the IAT since it was cheap, no response. SO I changed the intercooler pump that likely caused the high IA temp. All is well again
    FWIW
    I suspect that the OBD will allow higher intake temps in the lower gears and still go into boost. At the same engine temps it would boost in anything but high gear, and still boost in high gear but only while the engine was cold.

6. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Glad to hear you figured it out Dale. Sorry we weren't any help here. We looked at a Crossfire, but I couldn't get in it. lol

7. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

glad you got it figured out. even more glad you didnt let that stealership get away with raping you