Error codes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jblack27, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jblack27

jblack27 New Member

I think I know the answer to this one, but wanted to make sure. I keep getting the following codes:

P2096 - Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1.

P2098 - Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 2

I can clear with my Predator, but they eventually come back. I'm guessing it has to do with my headers and cat-back? I know the O2 sensors had to be repositioned when the catback was installed.

Now, how do I permanently delete this code? CMR tune?

Thanks!

2. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

normally you get rich when you have headers and hf cats....I have only ever got lean codes when I had the spacers on the 02 sensors

a CMR tune may help you get your fuel trim into a good range but normally with headers/hf cats or no cats...you have to do something like the addition of antifoulers or something to feel your way into the right readings from the 02 sensors.

When you say "repositioned" did they get put further back?...moved forward?

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I'm not sure if the Predator still has the option to turn off the rear O2's? If it does then you do that and either leave the sensors in there (they'll get trashed) or take them out and strap them up under the car (PCM will still be monitoring the circuit but not the function). You will not pass any sort of emissions test because the diags won't be in "ready" state.

It may have to do with your headers and cat backs but maybe not what you think.
    Could be an exhaust leak.
    Could be a bad sensor.
    Could be bad wiring monitor or heater circuit.

I think you should look for a problem. Maybe they fouled/damaged/got grease on the sensors when they moved them? It's a 2 trip fault. 3 trips to clear.

4. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

What is your A/F?
    Why do you think the code is in error?

5. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Check the connectors on the 02's. Those extensions for the rear o2's don't engage real good sometimes.....and thats the only time I have ever seen those codes after a Long Tube install.

6. black08

black08 black08

I get the same codes on a weekly basis. All i have is magnaflo hi flo mids, a JBA Catback, AFE stage ll , and CPR billet rails with a catchcan.....no pred. Eventually i`ll take it to arrington and have AJ tune it

7. Quick

Thats a good idea, but you're codes are most likely not a tuning problem.

8. black08

black08 black08

What could they be then? From what i`v been told by a few rep guys, its not gonna go boom or anything.....most likely the cats or 02 sensors is the prob

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Replace the 02 sensor and see if it stops happening.

But your cats should make your 02's read rich...not lean.

10. black08

black08 black08

Ya, the lean codes baffle me?

11. Quick

See above.
    Could be an exhaust leak?
    Could be a bad sensor?
    Could be bad wiring monitor or heater circuit?

Yes, unlikely anything is going to blow up. You would expect indications from the upstream sensors also in that case.
    Unlikely it's the cats. When you go to high flows or no cats or the cats lose efficiency the delta from the front sensors to the rear sensors is not large enough and you get codes that the rears are too rich, not too lean.

The code is not talking about the cat efficiency calculation being out of bounds. I think it is saying that the reading from that standalone sensor is out of bounds -- "you have pegged that gauge needle on the lean side and there is no way that should happen so something is wrong".

So it could be an exhaust leak sucking in fresh air.
    It could be a bad sensor.
    It could be bad wiring or connectors to the sensor.
    etc.

Somebody had to mess with the sensor when you had your headers and cat back installed. You said they had to be relocated, so like Erik said they might have used sensor cable extensions. The wiring/connectors are the most likely cause. I'd guess the sensors being ruined/bad to be a close second. Big exhaust leaks are a possibility...they did install plugs in the old bung holes right? :)

I'd guess it extremely unlikely a tune is going to fix it. If you were actually running that lean you probably would have blown up a long time ago and you would have had a boat load of other codes first. I suppose it would be possible to disable that code in a tune but then you'd never pass emissions testing.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010