Dyno = NO JOY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Velociabstract, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Velociabstract

Velociabstract Full Access Member

Went to the dyno today just to see what would happen. I pulled fuse 18 for the first run. the car reved to redline but had full brake on the passenger side rear wheel. Go figure. So I pulled fuse 17 too. Same result. Pulled fuse 10 too. Same result. Red smoking passenger rear brake pads and rotor. It looked like a NASCAR pit stop. The drivers side was fine. So I either need a mathamatical equation to figure drag to guess what I'm putting down or I have to go to the track to see if my car is a fairy or a man. Specifics. Dynojet, 3rd gear pulls. 93 degrees 30.29in-Hg and 23% humidity. 219.87 hp and 190.35 torque. Sooooooooobbbb.
    Throw away dyno day. I'm taking my other car for comparison purposes sometime this week just for the fun of it. Gotta get to the track with this car for real information.

Les

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Well that sucks...

Do you have to pull these fuses to dyno?

3. Velociabstract

To put the car in dyno mode you need a starscan. Without a starscan I'm told you need to pull the fuses (17 and 18) or the engine won't rev to redline. The other way around the problem is to have the front wheels moving. If they are stationary the PCM or BAS or ESP or combination work against you. I'm no expert but what happened to me is a first. I'm thinking of getting under the car to see if the braking system looks ok. Now I wonder if I have a Slow one. Got to get to the track. MPH won't lie.

Les

And being so depressed about it I got in my June 2004 300C and did a few pulls. 265 hp and 295 torque. Didn't make me feel any better. I need my depressant meds, and how!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. Velociabstract

Actually, I'm not too depressed with the 300. The water temp was at 220. I just wanted to get a feel for the dyno. See how stingy it is. Who knows, I could have a broken SRT-6 without knowing. That's one reason I need to get to the track. To see if something is amiss with the car or just a problem on the dyno.

Les

5. Velociabstract

6. Velociabstract

I worked extra hard and fast on Wednesday and made it to the local track. NO TRACTION!!!
    From 8PM to 11:15 PM I only got to make 2 runs. The second run there was a timing malfunction which pissed me off because I hardly spun off the line. The first pass I had a 3.40 60'. Couldn't stop spinning. When it finally hooked it took off. 106.62 mph. Noob problems for sure. Lots of waiting. People kept having problems. All in all an embarrassing and humbling experience. So guess what I'm going to do about it? GO IN CIRCLES! Weather permitting I'll be hitting a small circuit tomorrow on an old abandoned military base. If you don't hear from me, I'm dead or too embarrassed and humbled to face you guys. Wish me luck and for heavens sake, SPEED!

Les

7. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Don't beat yourself too much. You just need practice. We have ALL been there and done that.

lol I have also done high 3.x 60's. lol And recently I might add.

8. Velociabstract

Oh I'm dealing with it. A bottle of Marques de Caceres and a block of Manchego cheese goes a long way to making what's gone wrong alright. I just wanted to beat up on some suby's and mitsu's. The POS 280z beside me went 12.99 and it was all at the start. Next time I'll take pics. You'll be entertained to see what goes 10 sec here in P.R.

Les

9. MrBIGWORM

MrBIGWORM SIZE DOES MATTER! 505ci

I am new to the "other SRT's scene" lol..... How does the SRT6 compare to the rest of us? STOCK that is.....modz can be all over the board! from mild to INSANE!

ANYONE know a TRUE list of fastest to slowest STOCK SRT's....

kinda like( my guess only-probably wrong...haha)

#1. VIPER SRT10
    #2. SRT8 JEEP GC
    #3. SRT8 CHALLY
    #4. SRT8 CHARGER/ C300 SRT8
    #5. SRT8 MAGNUM
    #6 SRT10 RAM
    #7. SRT6 CROSSFIRE ?
    #8. SRT4 CALIBER
    #9. SRT4 NEON
    haha not trying to step on anyones feelings here...just curious

10. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Bone stock? For the ones I know

SRT8 Charger/C300 SRT8/Magnum SRT8
    SRT8 Challenger (for some reason these seemed to be a bit slower out of the box)
    SRT8 Jeep GC (1/4 mile, the billboard effect takes over in the last half)
    SRT6

11. MrBIGWORM

hmmm..interesting. I thought the JGC was fastest,next to the VIPER! And I'd have never guessed the CHALLENGER was SLOWER!

12. Quick

Maybe they fixed it but the 2009's were slow.

You said stock. there are a lot of little differences.
    First off the jeeps are a bill board so they suffer at speed (aerodynamics precisely that of a brick).
    Secondly, they don't get full throttle in 1st to protect the transfer case ( i think) -- easily fixed though.
    The Magnums might be a bit heavier than the other LXs but overcome with a slight difference in drivers.

13. MrBIGWORM

WELL...I DO understand the aeroBRICK thing! haha The JEEP has to be MORE aerodynamic than the RAMs!:D

14. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

The 10 (RC), 8 & 6 will turn similiar #s in the 1320...all are low 13 vehicles on an average track...driver is the deciding factor...especially the 10....the manual is unforgiving...

15. Quick

And the SRT8 LXs are roughly 13.5 or a hair better.

16. Velociabstract

My SRT-6 ran 13.2 stock with a newbie driver. I have a best of 13.074 at 109 with a CAI. These suckers are fast.

Les

17. MrBIGWORM

Ya,I figured they are! Just have'nt seen one at the track in person!
    And speaking stock....I cant say for all 10s...but ive had both.(so,the driver was the same).and my QCs are faster than my RC was(and yes,I can shift! lol)..stock the rc spins too damn much off the line!
    well,I cant really say for sure about the "NEW GIRL"....have'nt ran her yet at the track! lol

18. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Yep, the RC 10 is a booger to launch...but it can be done..I could get a 1.9x 60' with street tires and mid 13s (when it was stock)....not consistantly though....the next run might be a 2.7 60'...I turn 1.7 with DRs...I also had a QC before the RC...it ran around 14 with 2.1 60' ..that was with almost no wheel spin completely stock..

And another thing to remember is not all tracks are equal.....track prep, elevation, weather, etc all make a difference. Just ask Ron...his 8 was supercharged with many other mods and I could still beat him in the quarter with the almost stock SRT8 I did own........as long as he stayed on his track and I stayed on mine.:sweat:....I believe there is almost 5500' difference in elevation......The only way to compare vehicles is under same conditions..

19. MrBIGWORM

ya,good point! The RC was more FUN for sure though! And Faster top speed too!

20. Velociabstract

I'm heading to a private track day on the 28th for a few runs. I upgraded to a dual CAI and I should get into the 12's. I got on a 4 wheel drive Mustang dyno a few weeks ago, still sadness, only 290 at the wheels. It must be the salt air down here. I'm taking my Go Pro and hope to get some good video with no one in front of me. Stay tuned.

Les