Dodge Viper's Live on...

Discussion in 'Site News' started by 1bad4dr, Jul 10, 2009.

1. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Dodge Viper SRT10 Will Live On Auburn Hills, Mich., Jul 10, 2009 -
    Chrysler Group LLC announced today that production will continue for the legendary Dodge Viper SRT10.

Originally slated to cease production in December 2009, the Chrysler Group Connor Avenue Assembly Plant -- the exclusive home of Dodge Viper production since 1995 -- will continue to build the V-10 powered sports car. Chrysler Group is no longer pursuing a sale of the Viper business assets.

“The Dodge Viper has successfully captured the hearts and imagination of performance enthusiasts around the globe,†said Mike Accavitti, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dodge Brand. “We’re extremely proud that the ultimate American-built sports car with its world-class performance will live on as the iconic image leader for the Dodge brand. “

Introduced as a concept car in 1989 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the Dodge Viper was designed and engineered to test public reaction to the concept of a back-to-basics, high-performance, limited production sports car.

The reaction was so overwhelming that customer orders began to flow in even before the auto show was over. Chrysler Corporation immediately decided to determine the production feasibility on transforming the crowd-pleasing Dodge Viper show car into a limited-production sports car in no more than three years.

In May 1990, after months of intensive study and testing, Chrysler Corporation announced that the Dodge Viper, powered by an aluminum V-10 was a “go.â€

Dodge Viper production began in May 1992 at the New Mack Assembly Plant and was moved to Conner Avenue in October 1995. Viper V-10 engine production transferred from Mound Road Engine to Conner Avenue Assembly in May 2001. In 2008, Dodge introduced the all-new, fourth generation Dodge Viper SRT10. With more horsepower, more torque and more than 30 exterior and interior color combinations, the latest Viper gives enthusiasts the performance they expect on the track and off, with more factory customization options than before.

For 2009, the Dodge Viper SRT10 offers outrageous power, with an 8.4-liter, 600-horsepower (450 kW) V-10 engine contributing to blistering acceleration (0-60 mph in less than four seconds, 0-100-0 mph in the low 12-second range), setting an American sports car benchmark.

To date, more than 25,000 Dodge Vipers have been built.

About Chrysler Group LLC

Chrysler Group LLC, formed in 2009 from a global strategic alliance with Fiat Group, produces Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge, Mopar® and Global Electric Motors (GEM) brand vehicles and products. With the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete on a global scale, the alliance builds on Chrysler’s culture of innovation – first established by Walter P. Chrysler in 1925 – and Fiat’s complementary technology – from a company whose heritage dates back to 1899.

2. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Yay! :dance4:

3. greatone61

greatone61 Full Access Member

Fuck yes!!!!!!!

4. cmn1

cmn1 SRT and SVT

Go Fiat go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

awesome!

6. BJB

BJB Brian

That's great news. they are awesome rides!!

7. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Crap... 0-100-0 and I still haven't gotten to 100 or the end of the 1/4 mile yet.

8. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

I got to drive a yellow one, and well, I'm happy with my HEMI. Much respect to the 10s.

9. Jeep Trick

Jeep Trick Full Access Member

Now if we could get that kind of statement about the SRT line

10. beckerb

beckerb Platinum Supporting Member

Very Good News. The Viper is like no other car. You have to own and drive one to really understand now great a car it really is.

Vettes are a dime a dozen but Vipers are real crowd pleasers !!!

11. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

this is a good thing to hear!!!

12. FallenAngelHIM

FallenAngelHIM racecar bunny

I am so glad because I was like WTF when Chrysler decided to axe the plant and potentially sell the line. HELLO!? Dodge Viper ACR sets best production car Nurburgring lap times. HELLO!? Nissan, Porsche, Chevrolet, Ferrari, and Lamborghini cannot play with the ACR's time.

This is a good thing. I REALLY did not want to see the Viper go away. No to stuff it to the faces of the GT-R fanboys.

13. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

This is good news.....The Viper plant was the first Chysler plant to start up production since the bankruptcy...still the only plant in operation to my knowledge.......though I figured it was fired up first to sell it...

14. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Sweet!!!

15. ozzy1

ozzy1 the instigator

that's some good news

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

omfg!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeessssssssssss

Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!