DIY and off the shelf forged motor now possible

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1fastsedan, May 6, 2009.

1. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

So I've been doing a lot of research lately on building a forged bottom end, preferably cheaply. I found a few options, but most required either a custom piston or machining the crank to match a Chevy rod. After a few days of research and a few phone calls, I finally found a forged OEM spec rod and a forged OEM spec piston.

The rod is from Howard's Cams, but is not on their website or their catalog. A REALLY helpful guy at Mopar performance turned me on to them. I called and they said that they have OEM spec 5.7 rods on the shelf. The pin is a different size than the 6.1, but they can re-bush the pin for the .9843" SRT pin. They're not cheap though, $900-$1000 for a set of 8.
    http://www.howardscams.com/

The piston is from Probe Industries. It fits the SRT pin (.9843") and the stock bore. Its also designed for an OEM spec rod (6.243").
    http://www.probeindustries.com/Chrysler_6_1L_Hemi_1_0cc_Flat_Top_SRS_Pistons_p/14868.htm

Then you'd need a balance on everything, hone the cylinders, new rings/bearings and gaskets.

2. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

How is probe these days? I went with probe once and lets just say their skirting on the pistons were my failure. I was a newb then, and mind you its been MANY years so I would hope they would have improved by now (as they are still around)

3. 1fastsedan

I don't know if they're any good, but right now they're the only game in town for a forged OEM spec piston.

4. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

I keep hearing people using them so I would sure hope they are good at this point... I have been a CP man since my failure with probe then failure with modmax (this piston didn't fail there it was a valve spring)

5. 1fastsedan

Funny you mention CP. I think I'm going to end up with Carillo rods and custom CP pistons for my bottom end.

6. VeritaSRT8

VeritaSRT8 Soothsayer

I'm lazy, just gonna get a forged shorblock from HHP. :rockon:

7. StnePny3

StnePny3 Full Access Member

Howard did a cam for one of my car in a matter of day, when Engle promise me a cam (took weeks because of restructering ?) Engle is blocks away ..Howards was downtown LA before they move to Michagan.

Probe has had their ups & downs. If any body needs any legs work done with some of these west coast companies let me know, I have some time on my hands right now, I would be able to go in and get info for you.

Probe is about 20-25 mins away, JE is about 30-35, Carrillo is about 45 mins....has anyone looked into Cunningham, are about 15 mins away & they do serious stuff,

8. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

that is practically a failsafe bottom end right there :towel:

9. PPPAndy

PPPAndy New Member

10. 1fastsedan

But those are with the 927 pin right? So you have to buy the piston and rod together. Several guys have been looking for stock (984 pin) fitment pistons in case of breakage or just to beef up the piston. We haven't heard of any rod failures that didn't have a piston go first. So in theory, the rods are pretty stout for an OEM piece.

11. PPPAndy

PPPAndy New Member

Are the rods stout or are they just stronger than factory pistons? I would hate to go through the trouble of replacing the pistons only to break a rod and have to do it all over again.

I dont understand anyone only replacing the pistons while the entire motor is apart. For the extra $430, I would be all over the rods. We are talking $1100 for forged rods and pistons to go along with the forged crank.

12. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Our crank is forged. And really the point of this is to offer up a reasonable solution for a guy that just wants that little bit of added protection. Granted, going through the motor is not cheap. But for a DYI guy, it's not bad either.

13. Hemi~C~

Hemi~C~ Bad to the Bone

No doubt Cam, our stock block/piston/rod/cranks have seen repeated beatings (nitrous isn't easy on the components at all) at the 600+rwhp level (450rwhp NA + 175 N20).

Its just what the doctor ordered for my 95K 5.7 that is about to get 5-7psi of boost. I see two motors in my garage getting forged pistons/arp rod bolts, a re-balance and hone at the local shop, rings/bearings and away I go for under 1K.

Last edited: May 7, 2009