Detail process for '94 RT/10

Discussion in 'Detailing Tips and Tricks' started by Steve@Tropi-Care, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Steve@Tropi-Care

Steve@Tropi-Care New Member

Before

[​IMG]

Washing with the Lake Country "Ulti-Mit" foam wash mitt:

[​IMG]

Clay Bar to remove surface contaminants:

[​IMG]

Scratch and Swirl removal:

[​IMG]

Cleaning between spokes with Tropi-Care TC-B30 16" white tampico wheel spoke brush:

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Over 20 pictures documenting the various stages of treatment:

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z110/tropi-care/94 RT-10 Detail/

Surface Assessment

This black '94 with about 60k miles was brought to me for an exterior detail by the owner after getting caught in the rain earlier. After looking over the car's condition, some clear coat failure is beginning take place on the left rear quarter panel and deck lid area. Some other blemishes (shoes scuffs, surface cracks) are also evident in addition to normal wear and tear. The owner has decided to repaint later this year.

Preparing the Surface

After rinsing off the heavy dirt, I started with the "Ulti-Mit" from Lake Country Mfg.($14.99) and heavy solution of TC-6 Car Wash Concentrate($7.95) in a TC-BKT 3.5 gallon wash bucket ($10.99). Once completed with the wash and rinse, it was time to start with the TC-1 mild composition Clay Bar($11.39/100 grams) for surface contaminant removal. The horizontal surfaces were not really that bad except for some tar near the wheel well areas of the vehicle. After a simple rinse, drying of the car was completed with TC-M3 20' x40" microfiber waffle weave drying towels($12.49). Notice how the water stands on the flat surfaces in a solid sheet after clay bar use. Paint protection is now greatly diminished or gone at this point.

Surface Correction

As a general guideline, I was looking to use the least aggressive method of paint surface correction. However, after seeing the stubborn blemishes and spider scratches, certain areas would need stronger measures. I tested a marked off section of the drivers rear quarter panel by spot buffing with a TCP-02-- 6-1/2" yellow "medium cutting" foam pad($9.99) on the Porter Cable 7424 and 3M Perfect-II Rubbing Compound($19.99/Qt.). This action leveled the clear coat surfaces to remove the deeper spider scratches. For the larger areas, I used a Makita 9227 rotary polisher to remove micro-marring/swirls/holograms from the compounded areas using a black foam pad and Tropi-Care TC-8 Swirl Cutter($15.95). Its aggressiveness rating would be about 40/100. A follow up using the PC 7424 equipped with a TCP-01 orange "cutting/polishing" foam pad($10.99) and Swirl Cutter restored an even greater clarity to the surface. If needed, a TCP-04 white "polishing" foam pad ($9.99) can refine the surface with greater smoothness prior to last step product application. Once I was satisfied with the surface for this project, I can follow up with 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water to swab the surface using a TC-M5 16"x 16" microfiber detail towel($3.99). This will insure that all oils and residues from compounds and micro-abrasives have been removed. In addition, it will allow last step product to bond directly with the paint surface. The protection will last longer and future washings/treatments will be easier to apply and remove.

Swirl Removal/Finish Surface Prep

After swirl removal was completed, an application of TC-3 Polish/Sealant xP($12.95) was next. Using the Porter Cable 7424 once again, the TCP-03 blue "final finishing" foam pad($9.99) put down a thin consistent product residue on the surface. After allowing roughly 30 minutes drying time, removal can be accomplished using microfiber polishing cloth or microfiber polishing bonnets($5.99/pair) applied over top of the orange foam buffing pad.

The Extra Step

For additional depth on darker colors, this was an excellent opportunity to apply a carnauba paste wax topping.(TC-2 Liquid Carnauba Wax $12.95 or Tropi-Care 6 ounce Paste Wax tin $18.99) Hand applied with a 4" round blue foam pad, the key was to apply to small sections and wipe off the residue with the TC-M4 polishing towel($6.99) before it dried. It also helps to apply on a cool surface in the shaded setting.

Final Detail Touches

For easier cleaning on other surface areas, I used the TC-B40 20" wheel/fender brush($4.45) for hard to reach areas as well as TC-B30 16" wheel spoke brush($4.75) to clean between the mesh openings. Time constraints allow access to this car for the day only. Our water based TC-15 Tire & Rubber Dressing ($8.95) completed the exterior treatment.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  2. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

thats one smooth lookin hood!