Dealing with scratches on dark colors

Discussion in 'Detailing Tips and Tricks' started by Steve@Tropi-Care, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Steve@Tropi-Care

Steve@Tropi-Care New Member

Do you get frustrated with owning a dark color car because scratches are so visible? Usually these will occur the washing and drying process. Materials used to clean may contribute to the damage as well.(towels and wash mitts)

Recently I showed the owner of this BMW who wanted to learn how he could successfully remove these pesky blemishes using the Porter Cable buffer. Everyone sees the great results of just detailed cars on the forums. These results come with trial and experience. For those beginners and novices, one can become frustrated and impatient because they aren't seeing the desired results. It takes time and user experience with the machine to get satisfactory results.

Using the PC buffer or equivalent is a trial and evaluation process. Attempting to remove scratches and swirls poses a different scenario for each vehicle. It's best to start with the least aggressive combination and increase only as needed to get the desired results.

The hood has combination of holograms and some stubborn, more evident scratches. Before buffing, the surface was cleaned and clay barred to remove any surface contaminants.
    [​IMG]

Using a white polishing pad and light micro-abrasive polish on the PC, minimal results were achieved at a speed of 4-5 and moving at the rate of 1"/second in this 2'x2' section. This removed the holograms but revealing the deeper scratches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lightly misting the pad during buffing on the surface will prevent inflicting any micro-marring on the paint. PC speed 5 at the rate of 1"/second will eliminate the ultra-fine scratches as the product breaks down on the surface until the residue is almost clear.

[​IMG]

Almost there. Just a couple of stubborn scratches left to buff out.

[​IMG]

Yellow medium cutting pad and 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound. This is an aggressive combination that could leave compound swirling and holograms from its use. Once the surface has been leveled, now the orange and white foam pad combinations can be used to restore clarity and surface smoothness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear deck lid before:

[​IMG]

Rear deck lid after:

[​IMG]

2. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

As Borat would say: Verrry Niiiiiiice!

Drew (aka: Stretch) just got a bunch of your products and will be assisting me in some light scratch removal on my pass. side...

3. Ruff N Tuff RT

Ruff N Tuff RT THE PAVEMENT IS MY CANVAS

All I do is hit it with some 3M Perfect-it 3000 Ultafina SE

AFTER YOU HAVE REMOVED THE DEEPER SCRATCHES

IF YOU GUYS NEVER TRIED THIS........TRY IT!!!!!!!
    I aint ever loved a product like this one

4. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

wow, i need to try this on the scratches my 2 year old just put in my rear door with his plastic sand rake!!!! do not ask...... i am still agonizing over it......

5. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

You let your kids around your car without handcuffs?

6. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

not anymore......

7. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Outstanding results! I love seeing what the pros can do. I'll have to tackle my black beast's scratched up paintwork soon. I'll refer back to this thread for inspiration. :thumb3:

8. jdoria

jdoria New Member

I cant wait to clean-up my Limited.

9. Steve@Tropi-Care

Steve@Tropi-Care New Member

I hear what you're saying. Unfortunately when need detailing is the most, weather at this time of year is the least cooperative.

We are pretty lucky here in Texas where can can do outdoor detailing year round for the most part.