Dealer mark-ups

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by Cheatek, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

So I dropped off my car at the dealership this morning (for a brake fluid flush and some other minor things) and while waiting for my ride I was checking out a couple SRTs they had parked in front, one a Chally and the other a Caliber. To my amazement BOTH had dealer markups of quite a bit, the Chally 10K and the Caliber 3K!!

Wow, just wow, in this economy with everyone stuggling they're still trying to pull that crap?!?! The Chally maybe but it's not that new anymore to have a 10K premium but 3K on the Caliber????? Huh?!?! This just reinforces my thoughts that the poor economy and lack of car sales does NOT mean it's the best time to get the best deal, it means it the best time to get screwed cause dealers are trying to maximine profits on the few sales they have!!

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

and not one comment on the price of gas... :zorro:

3. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Can't fault them for trying...you can fault the idiot who pays the mark-up though.

4. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

My dealer has 3 Challengers in the show room all of them are below sticker :)

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

yea, My dealer has been selling 6 Challengers a month at or under MSRP...

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I suspect if you said "hmmm, markup?" they'd immediately say "I can take that off. Just for you, if you buy it today" :bigwink:

7. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

no doubt. especially here in the bay where you have even fewer people looking for muscle cars.

8. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

people will try anything.....

9. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Ya.... when I bought my Charger back in 06, I went to the bank to get my check and came back and the dealer sold my car to a woman for... get this.... $86,000! I was pretty pissed they would sell "my" car after making the deal and shaking my hand, but I guess money speaks louder than "their" word... Lol! They said they would order me one, but I told them I wouldn't buy one from them now for MSRP.

10. Howdee

Howdee Brown noser

Wow! what a ripoff. What was the sticker and your deal price? Had the car been to saleen or somewhere? Unless it had been, they screwed you for a whole lot less!

11. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

You know that we would all do the same thing if someone walked in and offered $86,000 for something worth $40k LOL

12. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

I would think exactly what Stevo and Ron said, they'd be selling at or below sticker right now so I was just shocked to see otherwise. That dealer "mark up" crap is total bs, just a pure rip off, but I suppose if there's people out there stupid enough to pay it then dealers (even good ones like mine) will continue to do it. Amazing in this age of online brokers (carsdirect, etc.) and discounters (AAA, Costco) where you can get a car near invoice that anyone would be stupid enough to pay a mark up price.

What gets me is considering how bad the whole auto industry is, especially Chry and it's dealers, the dealer is still trying to screw people. Chry needs as many sales as possible to survive yet the dealer is keeping that from happening with this mark up crap. They didn't even have anything posted anywhere down there about the Employee Pricing going on either, just amazing. Why not plaster sales signs all over the place?!?! Don't get it at all. What a mess.

13. Howdee

Howdee Brown noser

Amazing how arrogant they are using our own money as a cushion to screw us!

BTW thr dealer was full of shit. Not even a woman is stupid enogh to spend $86k for a < $40k car:bs:

14. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

And this is the EXACT reason atleast one of the big 3 will be out of buisness soon or there company will be government owned due to them not being able to payback there loans.

Fucking dealers especially Chrysler and Dodge there are there own worst enemy, morons.

Corporate needs to do to these dealers what GM did, NO MARK UP you sell them at MSRP or lower.

15. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

i dont know about that. people around here have the money and would gladly pay it just so they could tell their "friends" they paid 86k for a challenger.

PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

16. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Quoted for truth!