Data Geek for Hire

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by ChargerGirl, Apr 23, 2011.

1. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

I'm in the application process with four recruiters right now for jobs, just since Thursday. The first one from Thursday wants an interview this coming Friday. I am back in the running!

2. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Good going!:mains:

Fredrik

3. ChargerGirl

Alright, things are picking up. Had an awesome phone interview late yesterday that resulted in an interview scheduled for tomorrow morning. Have another interview scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and JUST received a call for a position I'm perfect for, which is direct hire with all the bells and whistles, which may result in a phone interview, etc. next week. Yay!

And yes, I know, its all nothing until I get something in writing, but its nice to know my resume tuning and persistence are generating interest for jobs I'm actually qualified for.

4. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Sounds like something's going to happen soon Tamara. I can feel it in my bones.

5. ChargerGirl

Got a call back about the job I was called about earlier today, and they want a phone interview Monday. Then Marc got a call from his company that they may have a position for me, an email from JDRF for a volunteer opportunity, and an interview invitation via an online consulting service I'm registered through. Its Opportunity Day! Tomorrow is dress up and interview like crazy day.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  6. Speedy

I´m with Hal!
    Fingers crossed, I can feel it...

Fredrik:mains:

7. ChargerGirl

Okay, so I'm having my FOURTH interview next week with a company that's literally 1.5 miles down the street. If I ace that interview, and one more after that, I will probably get an offer, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks, *KNOCK ON WOOD*.

I got an offer for a 3 month contract job in San Jose. Good news is, they REALLY want me. Bad news is, its a 30 mile commute along the most traffic-riddled route in the Bay Area and they only want to pay $19/hr. So before I heard about the 4th interview above, I gave a tentative nod if they could be flexible on the hours.

Now I have to decide whether to accept the $19/hr job then bail if I get the Pleasanton job offer, or turn down the $19/hr job and hope to god I do in fact get the Pleasanton job offer. In the meantime, I'm still pestering recruiters about job opportunities in case all this falls apart. The squeamishness I'm developing from the stock market is not helping.

8. ChargerGirl

Just had an awesome 4th interview with the Pleasanton company. Looks like I'm one phone screen away from getting the job. :)

9. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

That would be fantastic, and so close to home. I've got everything crossed Tamara.

10. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

......:yahoo:...good luck Tam!!

11. Speedy

Fingers crossed girl!

Fredrik:hug:

12. ChargerGirl

I'm still waiting to hear back about when they want the phone screen (Pleasanton job).

Just half an hour after I responded with my resume to a recruiter about another contract job, their client requested a phone interview, so that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

At least I've got my resume(s) down pat. I think my interview skills are getting stronger since I'm waiting on my fifth interview with the Pleasanton company, I got a job offer (albeit low) based on one interview for another job, and even the interviewers that passed me over still want to stay in touch in case they have another job opening.

As for the San Jose company that offered, they're waiting for the outcome of the Pleasanton company interviews, since I'm the ONLY candidate they liked.

Anyway, things are looking up and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm working again by this time next month.

13. ChargerGirl

Okay, some updates.

1. I'm on LinkedIn, this is my profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tamarawong You are welcome to add me.

2. My interview with a different San Jose company went well today, should hear back sometime late next week if they want to proceed with the next step(s).

3. Finally got an email back about my 4th interview with the Pleasanton company last week. Apparently I impressed the interviewer, but the guy who's going to sign off on the hire is interviewing a second candidate before he moves ahead with my next (5th) interview sometime next week. So far I've passed 4 interviews with flying colors, but no offer and nothing in writing, so no guarantees. I really want this job between the work itself, the corporate culture, and the fact that they could REALLY use someone like me. But we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm still hawking stuff on eBay here:

http://shop.ebay.com/cg7688/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

If anyone I know locally gets the winning bid, I'll waive the shipping fees and make arrangements to hand it off in person.

I figure if I can scrape together at least another $600 I'll be all set for September. Still, it'd be nice if I had a job by then.

14. ChargerGirl

Oh and once I have a job again, I'll be back to attending all the events I can, maybe some light modifications, and eventually, roadcourse track events!

And I won't be posting up any more threads about job searches or garage sales, or non-car stuff in general.

15. ChargerGirl

I've got nothing in writing, so I'm still looking for work. Referrals welcome.

16. ChargerGirl

Okay, so long as I pass the background check (I will), I have a job. Its the job in San Jose for $19/hr, but its a 12 week contract that will look good on my resume and I need some kind of income like yesterday.

17. Wifey

Wifey The Queen's Queen

I take it Tam got this job? No updates since?