Clay Bar Types

Discussion in 'Detailing Tips and Tricks' started by StevoSRT, Aug 12, 2008.

1. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

So I have seen in various places that there are different "kinds" of clay bars

Can someone explain what the differences are and what applications they would have?

2. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

What I have seen, there are different "grits". Meaning a "medium" is for more contaminated paint, & "fine" is for less. I think I used fine, & it worked fine. lol I think I scratched my paint a little though, so always use plenty of lube & fold your clay.

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

So for our cars (my car is a little over a year old and i have kept it clean basically the whole time)....i would assume i'd use the "fine" "grit"...but how would you know which one to use?

4. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

I've always had good luck with MOTHERS GOLD Clay bar you can buy it at Wal-Mart

5. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

I'd always start w/fine to be safe. You can always go to medium later. FWIW, my first clay was Mothers, then I bought some at the body store, the later was not only better but bigger than a travel size soap.

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

As in the other thread, there shouldn't be any "fine"/"coarse" to clay. Some clay maybe work better than others but there isn't really any distinction as far as "grit".

Clay should not touch the surface of the paint. It should always be gliding on top of a thin layer of lubricant (detailer spray, car wash soap, etc.). It snags particulate contaminates that are sticking out of the paint. Some clay might be better at snagging and holding the particles than others but it's not like if your paint is in bad shape you should use more "aggressive" clay than if it's not.

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I heard something as far as firmness.....not "grit"....is there any differences in that way big D?

8. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

When I'm home, I'll get the brand name/info from the clay I used. The word "grit" may not be appropriate.

9. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Don't know. Haven't tried any other clay bars except Zaino's. Actually I did use the bar that came with the bottle of ICE that I bought for the daughter. Seemed about the same.

It would seem to me that softer clay would be better at "absorbing" the particles it snags and maybe firmer clay would be better at snagging particles but more prone to keeping them towards the surface of the clay where they might scratch? Don't know about that.

10. FWSRT4

FWSRT4 Platinum Supporting Member

11. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

Yes, I should have used the term "Grade" instead of "grit". Here is the Fine Grade I use. http://www.ardexlabs.com/solvents.html
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ardex-Claymore-Fine-Grade_W0QQitemZ110058382281QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110058382281&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A10|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
    [​IMG]

& the Medium.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  12. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

And from that same site here is the "Clay Bar Lubricant":
    http://www.tastefullydriven.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Spray-and-Wipe-P226/

13. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

ok so what is the difference in "grades"

14. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

If you get an F you fail? jk :ronlove:
    I'd say medium is more aggressive, for larger contamination such as bugs/tar/etc.

15. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Ask and ye shall recieve....

"Fine Grade Clay Bar is ideal for normal contamination build up, new car preps, removing rail dust and for spot treating bug splatter, tar, sap or other stubborn forms of contamination. When used properly, there is minimal risk of adding micro-marring or swirls to your paints finish. For heavy contamination, such as paint overspray, we recommend using the Medium Grade Clay Bar."

"Medium Grade Clay Bar is perfect for removing paint overspray, tar, sap, bug splatter and other heavily contaminated areas. The main difference between a medium grade clay bar and a fine grade clay bar is that the the medium grade bar will more aggressively clean your paint. When using a medium grade clay bar, you should plan on polishing afterwards, as adding micro-marring to your finish is a common side effect. If your paint is in good condition and you are looking to clean normal contamination and regain the smooth, glass like feel on your paint, we advise going with the Fine Grade Clay Bar."