Car dies, no codes and then limp mode

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by durangatang, May 18, 2011.

1. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Ok, I'll buy that.

Mike, try restoring your original backup (back to stock tune) and see if it happens again. At least that might indicate the tune/predator and not some physical problem.

It's just really strange it's not throwing a code. Have you tried using the predator to read codes? It does that (although not a thorough as some?). You can use the predator scanner and diagnostics whether it's married to your car or not. If you have it back to stock and it does happen again first look for codes with the key and then will the predator and then take it to the dealer and have them look with a Starscan. I'm pretty sure the PCM stores a history and the Starscan can read that. (The history does get wiped when you restore the original backup though).

...I wonder what happens if power gets cut to the PCM while the car is running?

2. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Why do I get the feeling you have no faith in what I write...:sly:

3. durangatang

durangatang asphaultmeltingeuphoria

It was doing it before I loaded the tune, was hoping the tune would resolve it but no change. I didn't use the pred to read any codes since nothing popped up after the key dance and there were no issues. Next time it happens I'm going to do a little more digging while its running.

Thanks for the help guys!

4. Quick

Oh, I have faith in what you write. It's just that you're writing about some monster 426, with a custom TB, with a custom cam, with a custom tune, with a custom intake, with some electronic shifter gimmick thingie, and sometimes your experience might be a little bit different :D

Actually I was trying to think of what might fit the symptoms and I vaguely remember a long time ago I forgot to reconnect my IAT sensor and something strange happened right when I fired it and I can't really remember exactly what but I think maybe I shut it off pretty much right away. But I figured it couldn't hurt to check.

It's just bizare Mike isn't seeing any sign of a light or a code.

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Seriously? Go back to Page 1. Very last post... Sheesh.

6. Quick

Oh yea... shoot yourself...

lol. I'm more than half as old as Hal so it's hard to remember much more than the last page. You can get into a sort of ground hog day discussion.

7. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Hey, I resemble that.

Ground Hog Day, one of my favorite movies.

8. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

I see, but once upon a time, my car was actually an unaltered CHSRT8...freal, no lie...lasted about 20 miles...When I took delivery, i left the dealership and went straight to the tint shop...:bye:

It NOT throwing a CEL or code tells me it's nothing the PCM thinks is unusual, or not enough to throw a light or code.

Mike, I know it's remedial, but it's best to check simple stuff first...Your air filter clean? Could have been bad fuel, could have been a PCM hiccup...If it persists, try bumping the RPM up with Predator and see what happens...won't hurt, cept your mileage a bit.

9. durangatang

durangatang asphaultmeltingeuphoria

Hey, quick question? Could bad gas cause this?

Only reason I ask is this... a couple of times this has happen I remember putting gas at different locations, such as out of town etc. The last episode also coincided with us switching from sams to costco and there was a week in between that I had to fill up with Smiths gas. Now that I've ran two tanks of costco gas through it with no issues whats so ever I'm beginning to wonder...

10. Quick

[interesting side question]
    Is it possible to have the car die without throwing a code? I mean, even if you just lowered the idle to where it quit, wouldn't it throw some sort of code? (lol, P01SOS - engine rpm zero).

11. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Its easy to kill a car without codes...fuel pump issues throw no codes. OBD2 codes are primarily for emissions and ensuring the vehicle is operating within spec.